View Full Version : NEED HELP (not quad related)

"BLAHH"300!!
01-08-2003, 02:37 AM
hey guys,
some of you may know already, i play bass. i'm starting a band, but we have no-where to practice. i've jamed with these guys off and on since 9th grade in high school i'm 25 now...long time..the guitar guy is very good, we just click ya' know. the drumer is buying a set this week should be here next week or so. he's played drums when he's had a chance and is pretty good at em' he just never had a chance to buy a set. we have a guy buying turn tables, he's ganna try and figure em' out i guess. he's prety musically inclined. and i already have a keyboard the turn table guy will most likely play that too and i have my bass rigg.

ok where to practice. we can practice at this guy thomas's house. but we can't play after 9:00 and only on the weekends. were not ganna go very far very fast like that. here at my house i have all this land just begging for a jam room. my parents are going in halves with me on the room, but i can't figure out a ruff estament
of how much it'll cost to build. they said if i buy the lower floor, they'll pay to put a second floor on it, and let it be my "PAD"...
ok i'm not worried about that right now.i just want the room built.

guesstimate for me a minute...
20x30 open floor room. 10 foot cealings, 2 windows, a regular sized door for everyday use, and a door thats about as wide as 2 doors, for bringing in and out equipment/quads/mowers' and what have you...(it'll double as a shop)...
should i build it on a concrete slab, or build it up off the ground?

"question"
how much do you think it'll cost to build to build this room/shop.
it'll need alot of electric outlets around the room, 2 windows on each end, 2 doors, one wide one in front, and one normale one at the end. you'll need to figure in insulation, trim work to make it look half way decent. nothing fancy. but i will need carpet on the cealing, or at least 2 of the walls, and a couple of ruggs for the floor..so i can roll em' up when i rool in the quad and stuff

will 20x30 be enught room for 2 couches, a table or 2, couple of stools, chairs,(plastic lawn chairs)
my bass rig 1-15 cab, bass head, 3 pedals, 2 bass's
guitar rigg, 4-10 cab guiter head, 2 pedals, 4 guitars.
turntables, with prolly a 12" or 15" speaker sytem
keyboard. (will run with the turntable amp rigg.
5-piece drum set.
a refridgerator..cabinet's
an entertainment center with these things on it.
my computer, my stereo, an 8-track digital recorder, t.v./vcr. game system.

will this be enugh room for all this, plus have plenty of room to move around comfortably?....

should i double the insulation in the walls to help with sound, with that help or will that hurt. should i put tar papper in the cealing (and in the floor if i decide to build it off the ground)

do you know of a web site that i can go to so that i can get all the info that i need....i'm not ganna worry with heating and coolng...i'll get fans, and little place heaters...running water will be added if i get the second floor built, but not untill then....maybe run a water hose from the house with a facet on the end till then..

i do not want a metal building...cold in the winter hot in the summer...

sorry so long...how much $$$ am i looking at...it does not have to be fancy, unpainted..wood walls are fine, as long as it is weather proof, doesn't need a pitched roof..5 inches higher on one side will be plenty to let the water run off...anything to shave cost..

"BLAHH"300!!
01-08-2003, 02:47 AM
there will also be
a mixer, with a power head, and 2 monitering speakers (PA)
the pa speakers will be mounted in the corners of the room up high at the cealing, they'll be out of the way..so....

due i' redy da jam...i'd like to get all this figured up in my head before i leave for work...so i'll be ready to build when i come back

"BLAHH"300!!
01-08-2003, 03:25 AM
you don't need to figure in the cost of labor to have someone else build it. me, the band member's, and a few other freinds are all ready to get it built..were all mechanically inclined, in one form or other, and have tackled projects like this in the past.

and they all work for BEER!!!
and a place to drink it..

knighttime
01-08-2003, 07:59 AM
and pay for it as u go; just make sure its big enough, i'd make it as big as possible. I know u said u dont want a metal building, but if u look in the back of a magazine like popular mechanics u can find some kewl lookin metal buildings. U and your band can buy a keg and put the mofo together in a weekend probably. Then all u have to do is get someone good with electicity to wire it up.

exriderdude
01-08-2003, 08:03 AM
whoa:eek: thats way too long for me to read

motochris
01-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Ok first off you need to keep the moniters on the floor and not mounted up... You only put mids and highes (speaker) in the air... If your moniters have subs in them the bass tones love to be on the floor... Your sound quality will be better that way... If your going to do concret floor you better get some carpet cause your sound will bounce all over the place and you will also need to get some foam for the walls to balance out the sound and sound waves so that your music sounds good and doesnt cluster up... Put a little extra foam around the drums to kinda help soak up the sound a little... Cymbles are good for feedback and certin pitch the drums are tuned at will cause this to...

If you are wondering, YES i play and have done some recordings... Did it for a living for a few years but got sick of living out of a motel room....

We built a 30/40 recording studio for about $20,000 and we did the work...We used a pole building tho to cut cost........Good luck dude.........:)

NJ300ex
01-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Awhile back I started reading up on soundproofing because I needed to sound proof my bands practice space somewhat. These are some links to a couple good sites about doing soundproofing yourself. You can also just do a search in google to find good stuff.

http://www.soundproofing101.com/

http://www.inyoureye.com/html/sndproof.html

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/basement.html

I had found alot more sites that are better than those but that is all I have in my favorites list now.

bansheeguy77
01-08-2003, 05:51 PM
well theres no way in **** im reading all that either lol....but my neigbors built a metal building like last year....they just put a wooden frame up and put like aluminum on the out like a shed....then insulation then drywall and ur set....it shouldnt be that expensive......

TC17
01-09-2003, 04:45 PM
ok. 20x30 feet isn't enough room for all that. my basement is probably around there and it's somewhat crowded. but you want to put in a bunch of stuff and more members. i would go with something a little bigger. i'll post pics of my basement tom. feedback in my basement is bad. there is soundproff pading that soaks up feedback and stuff but it's expensive. i dunno about the price but it shouldn't be that much. i'll get pics tom of practice and the room.