PDA

View Full Version : First maintenance, what to do?

07 400ex Honda
07-23-2009, 01:27 AM
i bought an 07 400ex brand new for a steal from my local atv dealer for 4200. 4600 out the door.

i have always owned honda utility atv's and done all the work on them myself my whole life (im 17) so this sport thing is new but does not seem all that hard at all compared to the big utility tanks.

i have ran 5 or 6 tanks of gas through it now and its about time for the first maintenance, my plan was to change the break in oil to amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic and tighten the chain.

I only have 2 questions right now, but im sure ill have more, ha.

1.) when i tighten the chain for the initial time should i use the chain tensioner or take a link out or 2?

2.) is there anything else i need to change or check?

i just dont see the use in spending 100$ for the first maintenance if thats all they are going to do.

Thanks alot

F-16Guy
07-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Oil, filter, chain, and check air filter.

For the chain, just loosen the pinch bolts on the back of the swingarm and rotate the carrier. I use the Allen wrench that comes with the tool kit and another one just like it (you can use something similar that will fit snugly in the carrier adjustment slots). Just put them in two of the slots and push both down carefully. The carrier should rotate fairly easily. If you feel like you're having to push too hard, try using a big flat blade screwdriver to pry the swingarm apart gently where the pinch bolts are. Sometimes if you open up the gap a little, it will allow the carrier to move more freely. When you get it adjusted and re-tighten the pinch bolts, you'l need to alternate between bolts until they're all evenly torqued. You'll find that when you get the outer ones tight, the inner ones will be loose, and vice versa. Just keep alternating and they'll tighten up.

tri5ron
07-23-2009, 06:23 AM
might want to check the valves also,
and it about time you buy a service manual too.

I strongly suggest getting a Honda manual, over just a Clymer or something like that. The Clymers are ok, but the factory manuals are more detailed in many cases.

I got factory manuals for all 3 of my quads, on ebay, for about half of what the stealership wanted for them.

matt14c
07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Grab a torque wrench also and check on the main nuts and bolts. Lug nuts, pivot bolt, motor mounts, header nuts, all the little plastic bracket screws and a-arm bolts. The other mains should be held by cotter pins so you should be good. Check your valve lash with some feeler guages.

Ba9801
07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I would probably wait at least 1 more oil change to switch to synthetic oil. You want to be sure that the rings are seated well or it will burn oil prematurely.

kilgoja
07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
why are you gonna tighten the chain?...it should still be fine