PDA

View Full Version : 400EX range on full tank of gas?

BikeSwimLaugh
07-23-2009, 12:57 AM
We did this big run up into the mountains with the Hummers and found a great mine that is large enough to ride the quads into. I'd like to bring the quads up to this area, but I'm a bit concerned about not having enough gas and I don't want to get stranded.

If I top-off the tank to full, about how many miles (in general) will I be able to go? Most of it is fire roads so the speeds should linger between 15-25mph and there's some altitude gain of about 3,000 feet...but what goes up, goes down so it should even-out.

Based on Goggle Earth, it looks like we'll be running about 75 miles max, probably more like 58-62 but I'd like to play it safe.

One of our guys have a big-*** 4x4 quad with big racks front & back...I'm thinking of tagging his butt with some plastic cans of gas, but still....how many miles can we get out of a full tank???

Thanks

400funex
07-23-2009, 02:05 AM
I've done 35 miles in the sand with out hitting reserves. I probably average 25 - 30mph. Of course your full throttle most of the time and climbing dunes, so I would think you could get close to 70 or so miles on a tank if you take it easy on hard pack. I don't know if that helps you much, just what I think. I suppose it would also depend on mods as well. I'm curious how far they would go also.

gt400ex
07-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by 400funex
I've done 35 miles in the sand with out hitting reserves. I probably average 25 - 30mph. Of course your full throttle most of the time and climbing dunes, so I would think you could get close to 70 or so miles on a tank if you take it easy on hard pack. I don't know if that helps you much, just what I think. I suppose it would also depend on mods as well. I'm curious how far they would go also.

Same here, I maybe use a 1/4 tank and thats after a hole day of hard riding at the dunes. I ride with a KFX450 and a Raptor 660 and those guys use a lot more fuel then me.

Wildbrain
07-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Unless you are hammer down all day, I would think you should be able to do the 75 mi.

I trail ride moderatly to hard and I am able to get that kind of miles in no problem.

F-16Guy
07-23-2009, 05:42 AM
On pretty much flat, hard trails, averaging between 3rd and 5th gear, I went almost 100 miles on a tank. We took a family trip, and my Dad and Grandpa both had utility quads with odometers, so I know that the distance was pretty accurate. I was purposely trying to go as far as I could since we had gas cans on the utility quads. I was pretty impressed. At that time, I had a WB E-Series slip-on, a K&N filter, and the carb was properly jetted.

tri5ron
07-23-2009, 06:10 AM
I'd say you should be able to make it, but you'd be getting pretty close to the limit.
Carrying extra fuel would be a safe bet. And if anyone has a sixpack rack, a couple of 1 gal. cans fit nicely in the racks, instead of a cooler.

And would you mind telling me where this riding area is? I'm in Orange County, and always looking for more places to go riding.
send me a pm.

BikeSwimLaugh
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like we have about an 85-120 mile range....given what we've heard, would you guys concur with that? (for hard-pack trail riding)

It's exactly what I figured...I almost certainly have enough to make the whole trip, but we'll still bring a can of gas strapped to the rack of the utility quad, a 5-gallon would be more then enough, maybe we'll just do a 2.5 or 3 gallon.

The guy with the Utility quad has this HUGE 4x4 (I think it's a Yamaha) and it even has a winch in the front. The other guy is on a Raptor of some sort (do they make 'em other then 700?). I'm definitely the most fuel-nimble of the 3 of us, but with bigger quads and larger engines, they usually size-up the gas tank so we may all be about the same in terms of capacity.

My mods, as far as engine, are just an exhaust & K&N filter...and properly re-jetted carb...it all adds power but also efficiency, definitely helps mpg.

I live in L.A. and the area I'm referring to is up North near Jawbone Canyon...we ride the road deep into the hills, through the Gerringer Grade and up into the beautiful mountains. I found an old mine that runs about 600 feet before they closed it off, you can ride your quad into the mine because it's so big. I did some research, it was called the Lone Star Mine. There are also many other hidden places up in the mountains....other smaller mines with old abandoned cabins...really fun place to explore. Of course, the only downside is the Blair Witch...that movie still sticks in my head, but instead of arriving at some weird spooky house, I keep riding roads that all lead to my mother inlaws house...oh the horror!!!!!!!

Tri5ron...I'd need to show you or give you GPS coordinates, probably best if we hook-up and I'll have you join us when we do this run..probably in a couple months or sooner.

Let me see if I can post some pics

tri5ron
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I'd be up for that, you bet!

and just in case yor buddies with the big UTV's are interested, here's a few nice fuel packs I found on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RotopaX-FUEL-PACK-Best-Gas-Container-4-ATV-UTV-Kolpin_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trks idZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2ea4468554QQitemZ200 324580692QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KOLPIN-ATV-UTV-FUEL-WATER-PACK-MOUNTING-BRACKET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3 a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trk sidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4836aa9ffcQQitemZ31 0154797052QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Out-N-Back-Rack-Honda-400EX_W0QQitemZ380124497857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item58812f87c1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1171

BikeSwimLaugh
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Ron,

The Sequoia run was one of my favorite. I started posting pics of some of my offroading up in the Lake Arrowhead area...before I knew it, I had lots of people asking to join me (this was when the H2 first came out). In short time I had formed a club with just over 200 members. We had H1's, H2's and even a few military spec Humvee's.

You know what's funny...the H2's were like billy-goats and went EVERYWHERE without issue, while the H1's had limited wheel articulation, no rear-lockers (a piss-poor 4x4 system) and the rule was: if more then 4 H1's came on the run, you could count on one of them breaking-down! I really wanted an H1 but it's like running into a burning building: you're in for trouble...they'd constantly snap half-shafts, U-joints, idler arms, etc, etc, etc.

Anyways, those mountains are full of lots of adventure and it's just BEAUTIFUL up there, really scenic and some real honest poking around in sites and areas that have been abandoned for years. That mine, the Lone Star Mine is still loaded with equipment and it feels like a DisneyLand ride as you walk through it (netting on the ceiling, old cables, lines, lights, etc).

I'll probably post the event on this forum so others can join us....it's an absolute amazing run!

honda400ex2003
07-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I get about 35 to 40 miles per if i ride really good. so i guess you should be able to squeak out about 150 miles if you are really careful. you should be good for around 100 no problem. those trails look sick too by the way, also kickin hummers, i have always wanted one and will one day have one. one day in the future i have plenty of time at only 19. steve

buck440
07-23-2009, 05:46 PM
my friend had some thing on his bike that said how far we went and when we finished it said 80 miles on 1 tank no reserve mixed trails.

Wheelie
07-23-2009, 08:48 PM
A tank of fuel doesn't last very long in my EX, but my engine mods and choice of fuel greatly impact fuel consumption.