PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried painting their plastics?

siberthugd
01-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Has anyone tried using that automotive interior spray paint on their plastics? It says it's bendable, fade-resistant, abrasive-resistant and soaks/dyes the original color. I think it might hold up against light "branch" scratches, and obviously wouldn't against a deep gouge. I used it on my truck interior (seats, dash, door panels)like 2 years ago and it's held up great. Haven't had to redo it yet, but it's also not a quad. What do you think?

JOEX
01-07-2003, 11:24 PM
There was a thread not too long ago about this ...I didn't read it though...To me it sounds like a waste of time and money...I think it would look like poop after the first ride or temp. change...

Joe

jb400exxx
01-08-2003, 04:45 PM
i tried regular paint on dirt bike plastics and it was all washed off with the hose.

Sparks425Ex
01-08-2003, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. It will scratch off and look dumb after a few rides.

forum
01-08-2003, 05:01 PM
as long as the color is close to what the plastic is undernieth its not that bad. but you gotta touch it up. Iv seen it done before

Predator36
01-09-2003, 12:16 PM
I have seen it done succesfully. The guy used Imron with some addatives that I never heard of. It lasted several years on a KX80 big wheel.

Predator36
01-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Predator36
I have seen it done succesfully. The guy used Imron with some addatives that I never heard of. It lasted several years on a KX80 big wheel.

I forgot to mention - it cost a lot more than new plastic just for the paints and addatives.

AndrewRRR
01-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Two of the guys I ride with have it done, both are banshees. One is a custom mixed blue-purple color that looks really good. The other is a very killer custom Louie Swan paint job with lots of graphics, shadow skulls, etc. (it was $300). If done right, they last just fine as long as you don't roll the bike and bend the plastic. After that it develops hairline cracks, but it still seems to stay on the plastic just fine.
I have an automotive custom blue paint on the hood and gas tank of my R. So far it still looks tip top. If you can get it done (correctly) for not a lot of money, I'd say go for it. Definately makes it stand out from the stockers.
Here's a pic of the bike after the hood and tank were painted. I didn't go with some exotic color, just had it matched to the stock blue. After 16 years of fading, my tank looked green and the hood looked like ish. This really got the color back, and you can't beat the price ($0.00)

Syrus
01-09-2003, 03:08 PM
hmm... thats weird how that kind of paint holds up while ur plastic will contract & expand when i warms up and cools down. I know if u try it with a certain type of paint and a certain new type of plastic sticker it will start to bubble after a while...

Sick0
01-09-2003, 04:51 PM
I've tryed the clearcoating my plastic. Look pretty good for light a weeks. Then it started to look dirty evne if you tryed to clean it.

HotRod2Fitty
01-09-2003, 04:51 PM
On my dads trailblazer he got a new seat cover and wanted to change the color of the hood. He got automotive paint and sealant made for plastic bumpers on cars. Well its over a year now and its not worn off yet. Id say its worth a try, just make sure you take your time and let it cure well.

type3tom
01-12-2003, 04:24 PM
A freind of mine is a technical paint support rep for Sikkens and he has done plastic welding on fenders and painted them with their flex additives which look great.Ive seen him paint nerf football using their additives and when it dry you can squeeze that football has hard as you like without cracking the paint.

Tom

01-12-2003, 04:46 PM
I've painted plastics with "SEM Flexible Coating". Works great. I go it at Sanel Auto Parts (aka Parts Plus).