PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the familiar to brave the unknown.....

scottwvu
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
So, back in February, I landed a second job that was a "dream job" of sorts.....at a motorcycle shop (Yamaha and Polaris dealership). Around here, you HAVE to know someone to even get looked at......

So I took the job, and wrapped myself up in learning Lightspeed NXT version, the layout of the parts warehouse and everything I could learn. I was like a sponge, I tell ya!

Well, about a week ago I got an offer from the Honda dealership to be their service MANAGER!!!!! (I was in parts at Yamaha.....and NOT a manager). I will be making like, $350 more a paycheck while I am in training, then even MORE when the current service manager leaves in mid September!

The only problem is I feel crappy leaving the dealership that gave me my "break". I have already accepted the position, and put in my two weeks notice. (I thought they would be mad, but instead they seemed shocked and begged me to stay. It was sad). So tell me I am doing the right thing and make me feel better about all of this.....

ridered11
07-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Well you won't have to work on as many things.......jk

But seriously, you obviously were that good at your job to get noticed. Nothing wrong with accepting a reward for hard work.

kyledvor61
07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
more money=more cool stuffs.

if they wanted you to stay, possibly there will still be a job for you later on if you dont like the manager position.

extremeblastr
07-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by scottwvu
So, back in February, I landed a second job that was a "dream job" of sorts.....at a motorcycle shop (Yamaha and Polaris dealership). Around here, you HAVE to know someone to even get looked at......

So I took the job, and wrapped myself up in learning Lightspeed NXT version, the layout of the parts warehouse and everything I could learn. I was like a sponge, I tell ya!

Well, about a week ago I got an offer from the Honda dealership to be their service MANAGER!!!!! (I was in parts at Yamaha.....and NOT a manager). I will be making like, $350 more a paycheck while I am in training, then even MORE when the current service manager leaves in mid September!

The only problem is I feel crappy leaving the dealership that gave me my "break". I have already accepted the position, and put in my two weeks notice. (I thought they would be mad, but instead they seemed shocked and begged me to stay. It was sad). So tell me I am doing the right thing and make me feel better about all of this.....

if they were that desperate for you to stay they wouldn't just ask, they would offer a raise or a better position. everybody has to start somewhere but its making the choice to leave when the time comes that seperates the more successful ones. if you pass this up now you may never get another chance to move up like that.

Quad18star
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
You're leaving on good terms with the current company... so that shouldn't hinder you later on if things don't work out. I would explain to them that you enjoyed your time with them but without room for advancement with them you have decided to accept another position which will further your skills.

Like it was said ... if they REALLY needed you to stay, they would ask why you're leaving and ask how much it would take for you to stay. You have to look out for your best interest in this industry . If you have a chance to move up the ladder , take it .. no matter who or where you work.

07-23-2009, 12:34 AM
If they really want you to stay they'll pony up the dough. Do what's best for your future, not what other people want you to do.

motofreak2772
07-23-2009, 12:41 AM
The only thing bad I see about leaving is that it looks bad that you switch from job to job so quickly and other employers might not find you as reliable later in life. But it seems like something you cant pass up. I would go for it or ask for a promotion at your current dealership then if they say no leave lol.

derekhonda
07-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Yup you gotta take care of yourself first man, wouldn't even sweat it but I would try to hang onto a good relationship with the old company, sounds like the did help you get your foot in the door.

KFX450Rrider490
07-23-2009, 07:05 AM
if it will be bettering yourself id say go for it
in this economy chances like that are to hard to find
so take it with pride!!

hondariderdylan
07-23-2009, 07:07 AM
explain it the best you can

what the worst that could happen?
they not like you becuase you ditched them for a job that offered you a better financial situation

dont sweat it;)

oh yeah,motofreak2772 , awsome avatar:p

dehner47
07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
buisness is buisness. your current shop will understand this. in this tough economic times, you gotta watch out for #1.

yellowzo3
07-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Everyone else pretty much nailed it. Sure, they probably want you to stay because you do your job well and they don't want to go through the hassle of finding someone new and training them and all that... but I'm sure they realize why your leaving and if they wanted you to stay that badly they would have done something about it. Its hard to leave the guys that showed you the ropes but they can't expect you to turn down an offer like that if they're offering nothing on their end of the table. We all pretty much have the same responses here lol

destey
07-23-2009, 10:27 AM
if the current place honestly wanted you to stay badly enough they would have matched/exceded the offer you received, logic dictates.

Its business man, in it just for the money. People who do it for the love of what they do are volunteers.

I applaud you sir for busting upward in the world!

usp4u
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
You gotta look out for #1, but burn no bridges.

scottwvu
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I REALLY appreciate all of the support and advice. You guys are the best!!!!! I am going to start my new job on July 30th!

Quad18star
07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by scottwvu
I REALLY appreciate all of the support and advice. You guys are the best!!!!! I am going to start my new job on July 30th!

Good luck man . The job of a service manager can be a lot work work and stress .. but take it one day at a time .