PDA

View Full Version : the great Oil Debate

Muddinguy
07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok i DID search and i know there are hundreds of threads on this..

Got a 400EX specs in my sig..

but its a 440 kit 11:1 comp. stg 2 HC PC T4 pipe White bros rev box.. ive been putting AMSOIL 20w50 Syn motorcycle oil in it.. Greatest stuff ever !!

and Honda recomends the Hp4 or whatever their oil is ?? Another guy told me to run 15-40 Diesel oil in it..

I grenaded and im preatty sure part of it was the Bulk penzoil 10w30 i put in it..:( (didnt know any better, but do now !)

anyway got a lot of money into this motor and wana protect it and the clutch and trans... but dont wana drop 30 bux every 3 rides on an oil change.. (bigger oil tank so its a 3 qt system)

what do you guys run and recommend ?

F-16Guy
07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
I've run Castrol GTX in my quad for years with no problems. $8 a quart for fancy oil is a little too much for me. This question always turns out like a religion debate at a bar at 1:00 a.m., so I think I'll stay out of it. Good luck!

CJM
07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I dont mind spending the 8 bucks for 2qts of mobil1. I spend 20 for the oil for my vehicle and am a firm believer in using good oil.

In all of our work trucks we use mobil clean 5000, so far not a single truck has had engine failure except for a chevy we had 350k on and was beat on before we even got it. Another ford E350 vans bottom bearings have been making noise for 2 years now and it hasnt died.

So yea for me, mobil oil products are all I use. I have heard shell rotella is also very good if you want a non synthetic oil.

Muddinguy
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
ive been told you have to run a motorcycle or ATV specific oil cause of the clutch trans and engine all sharing the same oil ?

IcutMetl
07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
That's correct; regular auto oil is better than no oil at all...haha, but it has friction modifiers in it that aren't healthy for a wet clutch system.

The way that I look at it, even expensive oil is cheap insurance. I rode on the standard Honda oil for a while on my 400 to break it in well, then switched to AmsOil- the engine ran cooler, revved & shifted smoother, and oil stayed clean longer. I don't think there will ever be such a thing as "the best oil," but I have heard very good things about Shell Rotella diesel oil, and my personal experiences with AmsOil was a plus.

Pay a little extra now; a poor man can't afford to buy cheap stuff.

bergoff
07-22-2009, 10:32 PM
i always ran honda hp4 in my crf450r. never had a problem. it was an 02 and i never cracked the motor open. and it ran awesome when i traded it for my 400. i wish that i traded a long time ago. never knew a quad would be so fun.

00.400ex#55
07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Amsoil Dominator...

Talontyme
07-23-2009, 12:29 AM
I am running the Honda HP4 oil and it is running great. I dont mind spending a couple extra bucks to make sure the engine lasts a long time.

Snipe
07-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Castrol GTX 10w30 SAE oil is all I use or ever will use in my quad.

I agree with the one guy about the debate this is a fuse and its burning down, this thread is gonna blow here before long lmao.

Honda#4
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
All I run is honda HP4 10w-30 oil, never had a problem yet with it but it does get thin quick but I change my oil pretty frequently anyways so I don't mind.

killer400ex
07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
im running gn4 right now because i just rebuilt and am still breaking the motor in with no problems other than it tends to get alil hotter, but before the gn4 i ran royal purple, if you go on their website they make a specific oil for motorcycles and atvs, performance and cruising i believe, they even break it down if yu click on the which oil is best for you, so their is racing on road and racing offroad, hair scrambles and mx and all sorts of stuff, it always worked great for me, kept the motor cool and clean, even after 3 years of riding when i ripped the whole motor apart including the crank case and transmission their was no sludge out build up so i think once i finish break in i will be ordering some

NacsMXer
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I used to run HP4 but stopped. Why pay $8+ for a rebranded SEMI-synthetic when there are superior oils available for cheaper? That's the only reason I switched.

Right now I have Honda GN4 in it, to break in my new clutch, but once it turns color it's back to synthetic I go. I prefer to run Shell Rotella T 5w40 and Mobil 1 "red label" 15w50 full synthetics. I am considering trying out the conventional Rotella T 15w40 to see how it works out.

Honda#4
07-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I used to run HP4 but stopped. Why pay $8+ for a rebranded SEMI-synthetic when there are superior oils available for cheaper? That's the only reason I switched.

Is that per quart or gallon? Only reason I ask is its only like 5 bucks a quart here and 15 bucks for a gallon.

omeeomy
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
i run aimsoil for four stroke with wet clutches
i also run aimsoils in my durango they say i can go 25000 miles between oil changes in my durango with there filter
so i imagine you should be able to go more than 3 rides with a good oil filter in your 400
thats how i roll lol
hope this helps out
my bro inlaw runs amsoil 0-50 i think he goes all season on onne change
just my .02 worth

NacsMXer
07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Is that per quart or gallon? Only reason I ask is its only like 5 bucks a quart here and 15 bucks for a gallon.

That's what the going rate per quart is around here. Nothing wrong with HP4 don't get me wrong.

Muddinguy
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by omeeomy
i run aimsoil for four stroke with wet clutches
i also run aimsoils in my durango they say i can go 25000 miles between oil changes in my durango with there filter
so i imagine you should be able to go more than 3 rides with a good oil filter in your 400
thats how i roll lol
hope this helps out
my bro inlaw runs amsoil 0-50 i think he goes all season on onne change
just my .02 worth

Whats your address ill send you a buisness card for when your engine lets go..

omeeomy
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
po box 152
montrose,mi
just 1/2 north of ya lol
what is the best oil?

Muddinguy
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by omeeomy
po box 152
montrose,mi
just 1/2 north of ya lol
what is the best oil?

AMSOIL is great stuff but i think 25k on any oil is pure insanity !

the LONGEST ive ever seen anyone go is 12k and that was my buddy driving 90miles a day One way to work.. he was running that super duper mobile one extended life oil they had for a while.. all highway so very little stress on the engine..

ive never gone more than 5k on a change.

bergoff
07-24-2009, 07:42 PM
i had a civic that had a scorn cylinder that i never changed the oil in. i drove it for 20k and just had to add a quart every 500 miles. it only got used oil. i never even changed the filter. i sold it and its still running but i think that guy at least changed the filter i hope.

rideahonda
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
The brand of oil doesnt matter, its how often you change it.

I have a '99 440 and I run cheap 10w30 automotive oil and it runs strong!
BUT, I change my oil and filter soon as I see it getting the least bit black.
Never have problems.

omeeomy
07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
check out aimsoils web site
and the 2 to 3 k mile changes were set by gm ford and dodge
to get more of your hard earned money
my .02 worth