PDA

View Full Version : How to replace timing chain

quad2xtreme
07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I am replacing the piston and rings along with getting the cylinder bored out.

Figured I would replace the timing chain with a heavy duty one. How do I get it out? I am thinking the right crankcase cover needs to come off but somebody told me the left.

The manual doesn't speak to the timing chain at all as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the help!

wvspeedfreak
07-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Jon,the right side cover is the one.I just did one the other night.
Once you get it off you will see what needs to be done to get it out.

pickin_aggie08
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
You will have to take the right side case off, remove the clutch and gears, and the chain will be accessible from there. the two larger nuts that will need to be removed like for the clutch basket may be difficult. When i did mine i used a large screwdriver to hold the basket in place, just be careful not to mess anything up! And just a personal preference, but if I were you, i would get a timing chain off of a crf450r dirtbike. its the same length and nearly twice as wide. its what a lot of guys on this site use. I think they are 30ish dollars on servicehonda.com. Hope this helps.

quad2xtreme
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Jon,the right side cover is the one.I just did one the other night.
Once you get it off you will see what needs to be done to get it out.

Thanks. Buddy said this in an email "To replace the chain you have to remove the left side cover (stator side) and remove the flywheel (magneto) then you should be able to figure it out from there. You will need a flywheel puller thats the only safe way to get those things off." Guessing he got confused and was talking about my 450r.

Manual doesn't speak to it but looking at the pictures made it seem like the right side cover was the way to go.

Did you go with a stock one or a heavy duty one? I know GT Thunder sells one but then I've read were there are some Honda ones that work too that are much cheaper.

wvspeedfreak
07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I used a "heavy duty" 400ex chain but from everything I have read,the crf450 chain is the same thing...just less expensive.

quad2xtreme
07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
thanks for all the help.

looks like 14401-MEB-671 is the CRF450r timing chain for 2003-2008. It is 31.99 from Service Honda.

I should be all set now.