PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices rise along with interest in motorcycles

07-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Gas prices rise along with interest in motorcycles

Interest in motorcycles and scooters has risen rather dramatically along with the increase in fuel prices. While we can appreciate the reduced cost of operation that sometimes goes along with choosing a motorcycle over four-wheeled transport, the enjoyment some of us get from bikes easily eclipses our desire to save at the pump. After all, this particular blogger has been riding since the days of buck-a-gallon gas. Still, the growing trend of drivers dropping half their wheels in the name of gas conservation deserves close examination and has even caught the attention of Consumer Reports. In fact, a recent survey conducted by the group has found that a staggering 26-percent of respondents have considered downsizing from four wheels to two. According to CR, their team is intently studying this two-wheeled phenomenon in an effort to become acquainted with the products on the market, how often they are ridden and the newly-found fuel savings of their riders.

1fastR
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
a recent survey conducted by the group has found that a staggering 26-percent of respondents have considered downsizing

considered is the important word, all the dealers around here cant give a bike away, no one has the money to buy a new bike just to get a little bit better gas milage

extremeblastr
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 1fastR
a recent survey conducted by the group has found that a staggering 26-percent of respondents have considered downsizing

considered is the important word, all the dealers around here cant give a bike away, no one has the money to buy a new bike just to get a little bit better gas milage

not to mention that the immediate gas savings are offset by A LOT by buying the bike, insuring the bike, and registering the bike

KevinAb
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
^ agreed, and most folks who would consider getting a bike in the name of fuel saving are not going to sell their cars.

destey
07-23-2009, 06:14 AM
why are motorcycles legal on the road and ATVs not? Seems safety would be a factor

Regular_Joe
07-23-2009, 06:56 AM
I don't know how many times I have explained this to people. Its only about 5% of the population that will do whats needed to actually make having a bike cheaper in the end. Unless your giving up your car completely (selling it) or driving 90+ miles a day (and going to use the bike to do it rain or shine), your not going to save money.

The initial startup costs of a bike, gear, etc are big. Then theres the extra cost of another thing to maintain (insurance, registration, oil changes, tires, etc.). Most don't realize that 6k miles on a bike tire is a lot. They burn through tires quick on a bike.

gcart2
07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
I don't know how many times I have explained this to people. Its only about 5% of the population that will do whats needed to actually make having a bike cheaper in the end. Unless your giving up your car completely (selling it) or driving 90+ miles a day (and going to use the bike to do it rain or shine), your not going to save money.

The initial startup costs of a bike, gear, etc are big. Then theres the extra cost of another thing to maintain (insurance, registration, oil changes, tires, etc.). Most don't realize that 6k miles on a bike tire is a lot. They burn through tires quick on a bike.

you have to also consider lots of people who buy a bike make a hobby out of it.

for example someone gives up MX and buys a motorcycle as a hobby and a gas saver. if you are doing that, then yes you WILL save money.

extremeblastr
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
you have to also consider lots of people who buy a bike make a hobby out of it.

for example someone gives up MX and buys a motorcycle as a hobby and a gas saver. if you are doing that, then yes you WILL save money.

no you WON'T, your hobby money is going into the bike now so you broke even :ermm:

gcart2
07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
no you WON'T, your hobby money is going into the bike now so you broke even :ermm:

but your hobby was going to continue no matter what.

for example i sell my quad and gear and other bs, 7grand.

i buy a used bike 5 grand, all the bs i need for it. 7 grand. yes i will have to pay insurance overtime but its going to be close if not less what it would cost to continue the old hobby.

yes im even, however now im saving money when i make my 40 mile round trip to work on my bike that gets 40mpg compared to 15mpg.

not to mention my quad takes 108 octane, 8 bucks a gallon, burn 5 gallons in a weekend. lets see someone do that with a streetbike at fuel 3 bucks a gallon.