PDA

View Full Version : You think this is a ripoff

unit32
07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Called the dealer I usually go to about having 4 tires mounted and he gave me a price of $340. Thats 1 tire an hour x there shop rate of $85 and hour works out to $340. I almost had a heart attack. What does everybody else pay? I never actually had tires mounted. always ordered rims w/ tires already mounted.

SilverLake250R
07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I paid 10 bucks for them to take one of my paddles off the rim, clean sand out of the bead, and then mount it again....and this was at the shop by the dunes

danhung11
07-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I take mine to WalMart and have them inspect the wheel prior to handling to ensure no damage.

It's $3 a mount. With dismount and mount, it should be $6. They might try to charge you a specialty tire price of like $5.

Yes, $340 is absolutely insane. Does he give you vaseline with that? :p

Banshee_370
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
wow thats high...i was *****ing about 100 at the local stealership.......i think i may try WalMart

Motofool250r
07-22-2009, 05:42 PM
most ive ever seen was 35$ a tire thats with chrome stems bead sealant on paddles done with 2 wheels n tire in less then 10mins

deathman53
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I mount my own, 3 big tire irons and a bead breaker. Your set to go, just need to supply muscle and patience. 3 big flat screwdrivers will work also. I use beadlocks now and only a beadbreaker is needed for the front(one side).

1promodfan
07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by unit32
Called the dealer I usually go to about having 4 tires mounted and he gave me a price of $340. Thats 1 tire an hour x there shop rate of $85 and hour works out to $340. I almost had a heart attack. What does everybody else pay? I never actually had tires mounted. always ordered rims w/ tires already mounted.

Are you serious?? Thats insane........I've paid $10 a tire and thought that was enough. Man, talking about a rip-off???:eek:

Honda 250r 001
07-22-2009, 06:31 PM
a tire an hour??? Thats bull crap. It should take 10 minutes to mount all 4 tires, WITHOUT A TIRE MACHINE! Its easy to mount up i would do it your self.

unit32
07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
I agree it should take no time at all with a tire machine but I have heard it's a pain in the b*lls to do it your self.

thedeatons
07-22-2009, 09:32 PM
It really depends on the wheels, and the tires.... BUT, that is ridiculous. Ask them how they can afford to keep such inefficient help around, then boycott that service department.

After that find another shop to do it for $10 per tire, then take the receipt back to the overcharging shop and talk to the shop manager. If they act terrible, then stop going there.

They have to learn somehow. You cannot stay in business in this economy by overcharging.

James

Honda 250r 001
07-22-2009, 09:33 PM
not really, the problem is getting the old tire off. The new tire goes on easy. you need tire irons though. And do you know the proper way to put a tire on a rim? if you have never done a tire before or have someone to show you, then you should prolly have someone else do it.

250r grave yard
07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
it better come with a me love you long time for that price

10 a tire the most i pay 15 for all 4

this is what you do go to a tire shop and look in side of the place and look for some one running the tire machine try to talk to him see if you pay him cash if he would do it

dont do it when they are busy then they wont do it , paying customers are worth more to them than your measly 10 bucks

it may take some time finding one that will do it but most of the time if you can talk to them and will pay them cash they jump on it

kouki
07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Are you sure that wasn't the price for 4 NEW TIRES mounted, including the price of the tires?

knobbyboy
07-23-2009, 04:33 AM
our local honda shop has a machine for ATV wheels and I think they charge $7-10 per tire.

unit32
07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
I told them it was 4 rims and tires which I would supply. I might call them back today and speak to a manager. The guy I talked to seemed like a moron so maybe he was new who knows.

headache
07-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I have mine done at a local Gateway Tire shop. They put mine on for 5 dollars a tire, not bad. I think my local honda dealer charged 15 or 18 a tire.

unit32
07-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Bought new tires for my truck so while I was there having them mounted they did my quad tires for free.

unit32
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
the new rims

trx310R#24
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM

only an idiot would pay $340

unit32
07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I e-mailed there service dept and told them they where crazy to think anyone would pay that. The manager e-mailed me back and said there was a misunderstanding and that it should only cost $170. What a deal. Usually there pretty good. I've spent alot of money there buying oil or misc parts but no more.

Saul76
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I e-mailed there service dept and told them they where crazy to think anyone would pay that. The manager e-mailed me back and said there was a misunderstanding and that it should only cost $170. What a deal. Usually there pretty good. I've spent alot of money there buying oil or misc parts but no more.

I pay 5 dollars per tire at my local place. If it's just putting a tire on bare rim. If a tire needs to be removed prior to putting on another tire it costs 10 bucks per tire.

D Bergstrom
07-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I paid a one time fee of $80 and now all my tire changes are free! I bought the tire changer below over a year ago, it has more then paid for itself. (Of course, now I see it is only $60!)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

Some of the shops around here will not touch your tires unless you actually buy the tire from them. WalMart will not touch quad tires either. I went to a car tire shop, one wanted $20 a tire (10 to dismount the old one and 10 to mount the new one.) Another just wanted $10 to mount and dismount. Finally I just said screw it and bought the changer above. Works pretty good, but you can work up a little sweat changing a set of tires though!

$340 dollars though is insane! I once had to swap out a motorcycle tire a few years ago and they to wanted to charge me a half a hour for labor. Needless to say, I went somewhere else.

Doug

Aceman
07-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
WalMart will not touch quad tires either.

I don't know why you'd say that considering Dan posted this:

Originally posted by danhung11
I take mine to WalMart and have them inspect the wheel prior to handling to ensure no damage.

It's $3 a mount. With dismount and mount, it should be $6. They might try to charge you a specialty tire price of like $5.

I also had my tires mounted at Walmart, and they were Hiper beadlocks as well! I had to show them how, but they were still willing to do it.

For the price Walmart charges it's not worth the time it takes to do it yourself.

D Bergstrom
07-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I don't know why you'd say that considering Dan posted this:

I said it from experience. The Walmart closet to me said they will not touch quad tires. Not like I am making stuff up. I actually did go and talk to them.

Doug

danhung11
07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I said it from experience. The Walmart closet to me said they will not touch quad tires. Not like I am making stuff up. I actually did go and talk to them.

Doug

I think it really depends on the Walmart. The one I used to shop at didn't, I think they had some morons crush some rims. The one I shop at now does. Go figure.

gojk
07-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I used to work at a Wal-Mart changing tires and they specifically told us that we were not supposed to do that small of a tire. Mainly because the machines are not meant for rims that small. But, being the quad lover that I am, I always did it for people. I just did it for free without a walmart work order so that nobody ever knew. Most of the guys in the shop I worked at were the same way. It takes about 30 seconds a tire, so why not.

Aceman
07-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Doug

I don't doubt it. I just think it's misleading to folks on here when you said "Walmart" won't touch quad tires when it is clearly based on each stores policy.

If you had said "the Walmart here won't touch quad tires," it would of been different. That's all I'm saying...

JTRtrx250r
07-25-2009, 03:14 PM
absurd! (sp:p ) ...even for $170 :eek:

got me a JC Whitney unit 15 or so yrs ago, swapped a couple hundred meats on that thing over the yrs, 1 of the best shop tools ever

these prices you've gotten aren't even in my realm:huh

woodsracer144
07-25-2009, 08:01 PM
its not that hard to do it your self...
step1)
find a good bottle of window spray( you can use soapy water but i like my window spraw better... it drys alot quicker and its easy pump the bottle and spray some on the tire MX guys use it on bike tires... well the pros do)
step 2)
for me spray down the tire good both sides if your using soapy water just take a towle and rub the side walls down really good and i get it all over the rim as well...

step 3) if you have it good and lubed up you should be able to just spin it right in at a angle. and get one half of the rim in side the tire...

step 4) get some good tire irons or really strong screw drivers... i put one in as a "holder" and have some one help hold it then i go around the rim one way or another taking about 2 inch bites and when you get towards the end it might get kinda hard and you might have to re lube it... it helps if you can work fast as well...i'll try to break the beads on some rims and takin some pics....

tp300ex
07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
i can change 4 atv tires in a matter of 20 mins at a car shop if it takes them an hour they must be using a rock in a stick