PDA

View Full Version : just my luck

liex21
07-22-2009, 03:25 AM
well i havent been able to ride for almost a year now due to a accident i got into in sept. so the last month ive been getting stuff together to get my baby back up and running again.The last time i rode i ended up bending my steering stem pretty bad,so i was taking everything apart yesterday and put the new stem in and noticed i bent the peice on the frame that connects to the steering stem by atleast 1/2 inch my gas tank bolts wont even go back in due to the angle..so do you think im better off just buying a used frame and not having to worry about anything else being tweaked or could i just bend it back and put some welds in there or something.Thanks.

Ryanwolfe911
07-22-2009, 06:20 AM
I'd at least try to bend it back and maybe add some gussets in that area. Can't hurt to try.

storms400ex
07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
find two trees or something that wont move and put two come-alongs on it one to hold it in place the other to move frame back over worth a try over buying another frame

killer400ex
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah i would buy the new frame as a last resort, remember that you can always have it re-welded and it will be just as strong as before as long as it is a good weld job, and adding a few gussets will strengthen it even more than before and prevent that from ever happening again (god forbid)

Pipeless416
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
thats actually fairly common on 400ex's to bend there, if the stem doesn't take all the force. the rest of your frame should be fine. do what you can, and add some gussets. you have probably my favorite ex. :)

liex21
07-26-2009, 05:18 AM
thanks guys im gonna see what i can do this week with welding it ill let you know how it goes