PDA

View Full Version : 1992 250x Rear Wheels Locked Up -Please Help

cjm8232
07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
My bike was starting to make noise from the rear end, sounded like it was coming from the bearing carrier, a grinding sound, with some metal on metal sounds almost like putting on the breaks when they are bad (but not a squeal) you could kinda feel the noise.

Well it almost felt as if the rolling resistance was increased (like this noise was making it harder to roll) I sprayed some wd-40 on the rear break pad and it did not change anything or smear on the rotor so I do not think that is locking up.

Well the increased resistance got real bad and seemed to get real bad around turns so I garaged it.

Today I was showing my buddy whats going on and going real slow and around turns there was creaking and "cracking" noises you could feel coming from the axle or bearing carrier when finally the rear wheels locked up. Luckily I was only 50ft from the garage.

It's weird because there is not much play in the rear wheels if you lift them off the ground. Also, I put a new chain on tight, and it got loose after 2 hours riding.

What could be going on. I recently bought this bike to get my feet wet into the sport, so I bought an old bike cheap, but I want it to work right.

Thanks everyone. I will post pics and hopefully this post becomes useful to others.

PS. I went and bought the service manual today from Hollink my local dealer.

m0t0xk1d
07-21-2009, 11:26 PM
i would take out the axle and take out the bearing carrier youll find your problem and it shoudl be pretty obvious what is making those sounds. you probably will need new bearing also if that not the problem

BM@Ronayers
07-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Sounds like you may have had a bearing or bearings come apart. When that happens the balls in the bearing will start grinding on the carrier. I have had it happen a couple of times myself. It should not be a big deal though. Worst case is that you would have to get another carrier $100.00 - $200.00. If it is just the bearings then you can get a kit from Moose for around $30.00 and that comes with the bearings and seals. Let us know what you find out.

cjm8232
07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks alot for the advice.

I am going to take out the carrier and see what I find out.

I will let everyone know. I will get some pics of my bike up soon.

Here's a video, I just posted from our last ride on Sunday 7/19/09...My buddy trys to take on a huge mud hole with a Polaris Scrambler 4x4 2 Stroke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTSvAmQypI

cjm8232
07-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Should I check for broken axles too? I saw a previous post on how to check for bent axles, but how would I check on broken axles?