PDA

View Full Version : Do K&N filters suck (dirt)?

Newbie400ex
01-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Well it seems there is some disagreement about whether or not K&N filters actually "Filter". This is what it says on the box:

"Maximum filtration ...The oil that is held in suspension by the cotton gauze material acts to stop even the smallest dirt particles from entering your engine. As dirt builds up on the outside of a K&N filter, it acts as part of the filter media further extending the filter's service life."

hmmmm... sales pitch? I just bought one today so if anybody knows of an engine failure due to dirt or other contaminants while using one of these filters I would sure like to know about it.
One of the surest signs of filter failure is "cylinder dusting". This is where the cylinder has a dull finish to it. (me diesel mechanic uugggh :macho)

Hondahacker
01-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Yep.

B.

toby400ex
01-07-2003, 08:26 PM
all i know is that they catch alot of dirt, when i clean mine there is alot of build up, then i got an outerwears cover for it and it doesnt get quite as dirty.:D

01-08-2003, 09:26 AM
If a K&N filter is maintaned properly with oil and cleaned with the proper cleaning solvant and installed properly,,it will work better than any other IMO...:D

redrider ex
01-08-2003, 09:35 AM
you are correct rico i cleaned and oiled mine before a big ride some of us exriders went on back in sept. I was so dusty that by the end of the day my 400 would not idle any more because the filter was so covered by dust that you could not even see the groves in the filter. When i got home i took off the filter and there was not even a speck of dirt in the tube going to the carb . Razerback remembers how dusty it was.

QuadTrix6
01-08-2003, 05:35 PM
i believe in foam, over paper any day, go with UNI especially if you ride in dusty areas..IMO

250rmike
01-09-2003, 10:46 AM
there is nothing better than a K&N if it is serviced properly with the cleaning kit from K&N it will stop more than foam yet flow better

Newbie400ex
01-09-2003, 05:31 PM
I also use an Outerwears prefilter.

RideRed400EX
01-09-2003, 05:43 PM
I've had good luck with foam and K&N. It's a toss up regarding filtration but K&N definately flows better.

01TRX300EX
01-10-2003, 08:07 PM
I havent had any problems with my K&N yet, except with instalation the first time, other than that its still doing good.

Glamis400ex
01-11-2003, 09:41 AM
A K&N properly maintained is very good. Never a spec of dirt in my intake when I service the filter.

Glamis

Team Outlaw #34
01-11-2003, 09:58 AM
yeah i've had mine for about 6 months and haven't had any problems with it....just make sure you are cleaning it often....

250rAL
01-11-2003, 02:05 PM
No dirt in my intake tube either. The only problem I ever had was when it clogged with fine powdery snow once. Now I have an Outerwears to prevent that.

Quadfather
01-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I know it sounds weird, but I remember an air filter shootout in a magazine. They dynoed the bikes with different air filters, in different stages of being dirty, and their conclusion was that a K&N reached its peak performance when it was 30% dirty.

Go figure.

R-Crazy
01-13-2003, 11:56 AM
i have one and love it. put an outerware on it though. i have a feeling a K&N w/ an outerware is the same or close to an UNI w/o an outerware.

dave

crookedeyemoto-x
01-19-2003, 11:20 PM
I am running a k&n with an outerwears on it with no airbox lid, and have no complaints what so ever.

TeamHonda400
01-24-2003, 01:56 AM
I put a K&N filter charger kit on my quad not too long ago and it has worked flawlessly for me. As an added protection I also have the Outerwear which acts as a pre-filter for all the dirt and crud that happens to find its way into the airbox. Like others have said its important to keep up on cleaning the filter. To say the least who can beat the million mile warrantee that this company offers

MeatHead
02-01-2003, 09:08 PM
The only time I have ever seen a K&N not perform properly, is when it is not maintained properly. Usually they fail because someone used compressed air to blow the filter clean instead of cleaning it properly. NEVER USE COMPRESSED AIR OR HIGH PRESSURE WATER ON A K&N.

I repeat NEVER USE COMPRESSED AIR OR HIGH PRESSURE WATER ON A K&N.

dariusld
02-04-2003, 08:41 AM
To say the least who can beat the million mile warrantee that this company offers I was also impressed by this, but it also says somewhere in KN's info that you can only wash it a certain number of times. I wash mine alot, so it will never make it to the million mile mark.

wgbanks
02-07-2003, 11:12 AM
K&N maintained properly and an Outerwears is an excellent combo. I run it with an Outerwears mod'ed airbox lid and have many hours trouble free riding.

2fastandfurious
02-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Of course they let a little bit more in then stock. Thats why there better. With a precharger and the right care for one it will last more years then the quad probably.

roostu
02-08-2003, 11:50 AM
First Off.....K&N's are NOT PAPER, they are made of cotton fibers.................I have posted on the subject of K&N filters so much I don't have much to say...if you are really interested in what we all think about K&N's do a SEARCH!!!!

~Roost-U