PDA

View Full Version : 416 smoking

exrider272
07-20-2009, 08:53 PM
ok well couple weeks ago i sent my cylinder out to GT thunder to get HD head studs put in.. and didnt get it put my motor all back together till tonight.. well while i was at it i figured i would install new rings and valve seals.. well i got it all back together and started it and it just started rolling out smoke.i figured it was just alil bit of oil in there burnin out so i let it run for about 10min and it was still smoking.. so i figured i fergot to stager the rings on the piston.. so i riped it all back apart and the 2 top rings were alined.and there was oil all over the piston and cylinder so it was gettin oil by pass into the cylinder.. so i stagerd them as the clymers manual said this time.. and put it all back together and started it up and no smoke.. so i hoped on it and took it about a mile down the trail look back and all u c is smoke.. i no the rings are correct.. and its doing the exact same thing as when it was gettin oil by pass threw the cylinder.. i have no clue wat it could be doing and wat is causeing it. and i dont think the rings could move while inside the cylinder...

anybody ever have this happen before? or no sumthing ?

honda400ex2003
07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
did you hone out the cylinder when you put rings in? I hope you did or you wasted your time. They will not seat right if the cylinder was not honed they dont wear in correctly if you dont. I guess that may no be the problem but most likely since it started after the rings. good luck, steve

exrider272
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
well from wat i got from all this gt thunder was sapost to do that when they put the head studs in so i just figured it was already done...

honda400ex2003
07-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I would call them and find out if they did or not cause i would guess they didnt since it is smoking like that. steve

Honda#4
07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Did you check the ring end gap? if thats off the rings wont seat in the cylinder either just a thought.