PDA

View Full Version : 450R Carb owners/users

blankenship
07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
hey well i recently traded my 440ex for a 2004 crf450 piped.......it was a great deal it rips soo nice and is a fresh rebuild but i noticed one this about the carb and also found this artical on a nifty little tweak not sure if it works on the trx450r carb but i know it works on the crf carb

As I'm on the never ending quest for ultimate performance, I was again messing with my bike and doing some contemplating as I looked at my AP linkage on my carb. As I messed with things to figure out how I could improve it's already stellar performance, I came across it. I was jacking with the AP "link lever" and realized that if the throttle was snapped very quickly, the spring pressure from the linkage was not enough to keep the "link lever" tight against the AP timing screw. The pressure from the AP circuit would momentarily overcome the linkage spring pressure, causing a lag in the AP squirt. I quickly realized that if I somehow connected the "link lever" to the AP timing screw, it would overcome this problem. After some thought, the best thing I could come up with was safety wire. I wrapped some safety wire around the "link lever" and the AP timing screw tab and "Voila", twas done. I reassembled the bike and tested it out and YIKES!!!, this thing hits instantaneously! The difference was more than notable. It is a little more involved than simply wiring things up, so my friend Chills put together a nice How-to" with pictures and everything...

So here it is....

Right-Click Save As:

http://www.squadpage.com/pandora/Professor%20RedBeard450%20How-To%20AP%20Mod.pdf

Enjoy!!

dariusld
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Isn't that going to throw your jetting off. Won't you always be running rich or do I not know what I'm talking about. :confused:

blankenship
07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
well so iv read (cause i never did this mod) is that all it will do is remove any bog from lack of pressure from the AP and the leak jets........the reason i never did this is because iv heard it will stretch the diaphram on the AP

ps anyone heard of this mod good vs bad idea

lilyamaharacer4
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Good idea. Every crf450 i have ever seen really gets wakened up by doing the ap mod.