PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my 1988 Chevy Silverado-Need advice

Codys 2004 MX_YFZ450
07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Here is my truck that I've been spending a lot of time and money on to get it running and driveable for the road and now the overdrive and drive gears went out in the new transmission and now I can't drive it till I get the money to fix it. Well I want some advice and opinions as to what I should do with this truck? I am thinking about just selling it as is, or parting it out or to just keep it and fix it later, I can't make up my mind, so I want to know what you all think I should do. Please help me out. Please let me know what you think I should do with this truck. I do have a lot of time and money spent on this truck, spent between $3,000-$4,000 on this truck.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10036.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10035.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10034.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10033.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10032.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10031.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10030.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/CAA_photos/SDC10029.jpg

07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
sell it or part it out.....ur truck looks like a totally piece of crap lol.....and then go get a dodge =)

VTredneckgames
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
ignore him.

You cant get your money back out of it by selling it or parting it out. Its too far gone.

Really at this point in the game, it is up to you. If you love the truck and like getting out and beating around in it, then find a cheap junkyard trans. (usually around $250-$350, around here)

Parting it out or selling it will probably only net you around $1200 if the motor is a good running 5.7

Good luck

fastredrider44
07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
ur truck looks like a totally piece of crap lol.....

That's a ballsy thing to say coming from an eleven year old.

But what I would do is get it fixed, then quit spending money on it. A truck like that is not worth pouring a bunch of money into. You can pick them up all day long for less than half of what you have in it.

ZeroLogic
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
sell it or part it out.....ur truck looks like a totally piece of crap lol.....and then go get a dodge =)

You are the biggest ****ing moron I have even seen on this site. Infact, I'd rather see slow come back instead of you.

He could sell the parts he put on it and part it all out and get his money back.

Get a Dodge? You are not even old enough to drive a truck none the less buy one so how the hell do you know how a Dodge is or a Chevy is. Don't say the internet because from this end of the computer it looks like you spend more time reading bull**** instead of reading books that have real facts.

Saying his truck is a piece of crap because it needs work does not help at all. If you had half a brain and took the time to think before you spoke you woulda suggested parting it out. But instead you put some immature smart *** remark like you do in every god damn thread you post in. Just because you change an oil and a filter in your 250ex don't mean you are a master mechanic and in all honestly, if looks like you got your head so far up your *** you need a window to see where you are walking. You try to help people but give them wrong information. You ask for peoples opinions and you argue with them. Then you go out and make fun of people and act like you know everything about every quad, dirt bike, car, truck, anything that has wheels. And in reality you really don't know what your talking about. When I read your posts it looks like you couldn't tell your ******* from a hole in the ground.

Here's a example.

get a power band for 60$ high power increase....and then talk to this guy in florida and get him to fabricate u a new swingarm that u can get 1"-6"longer cuz it is kinda short

Really? I hear a pink power band is faster. Where do you get your power bands made? 3M? Higher power increase? Tell me how does this powerband work? A longer swinger don't make a quad taller it makes it shorter. Do bikes have power bands too?

Really kid?

Maybe its just been a bad few weeks for me but Jesus Christ I cannot understand why you even post. Someone has to tell you the truth.

I'm sorry if I broke the rules Mods also.

But personally, I'd keep the truck, you have a lot invested into it and sounds like you know it inside out. Rebuilding a car takes time and money. If you got a decent DD and really like the truck I'd keep it and just take your time and peck away at it.

ECOR#8
07-20-2009, 01:34 PM
if u have another vehicle to drive, and really like the truck id say keep it, and when the money allows fix it up and do a solid axle swap on that bad boy. just my 2 cents:D

07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
i helped my dad work on a bunch of his trucks and i meant the wheel base is short

Codys 2004 MX_YFZ450
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Alright, I seem to have more replies telling me to keep this truck? Well to tell you all the truth, I do like this truck, but I just don't have money right now to fix it, but I do have a car to drive still, but I really want to keep that parked until I have money to fix that too, but I guess I'm getting my car out and driving that. I do like this truck because for one, I have a lot of aftermarket parts on it, and two this truck does run and drive, but the whole driving part is put on hold again because of my transmission. I'd like to sell it or part it out and just buy a silverado ss, but I don't think I could afford one of those either, but maybe, I'm going to see if I can get in back to where I was working last year, because I was making good money there and...yea. Well I will tell you all this, part of me wants to keep this truck, and part of me wants to just part it out or sell it. And I don't know which one to go with. I just need some real good advice about it, and I'm not going to buy a dodge because I don't like Dodge, I'm a Chevy guy, not anything else.

Toadz400
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Part it out and junk it!

hotrodbelair
11-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I cant see the pics. Was this a newly rebuilt transmission. I would just find a 700r4 i think that year had that transmission, that or the 4l60e should be able to find one for pretty cheap price id say should atleast find one for under 400 bucks.
I just did my first tranny swap on my blazer actually wasnt to hard except ive got 6 inches of lift lol made it alot easier.

Toadz400
11-23-2009, 08:43 AM
It was a rebuilt transmission but he neglected to fill it all the way up with transmission fluid.

Anyone know what's needed to put a 2WD 700R4 in his 4x4? Obviously he wouldn't have the use of 4x4 but I've got a couple 700R4's that he could use but both are 2WD.

416exfreak
11-23-2009, 08:49 AM
He would need more money.

Pick up a divorced case (NP 203, 205), have a jackshaft made to go from the 700R4 to the case, then shafts from the case to the axles.

He would probably have a little trimming to do to make everything fit, and also have to make a mount for the new case.

With time and persistance, anything is possible.

fastredrider44
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm honestly not sure what has to be done other than a different output shaft and taking the tail section off, but it's not that big of an ordeal. I had a 2wd 700r4 converted for one of my old trucks a long time ago, so I don't remember the specifics.

Toadz400
11-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Yea I was talking about just using 2WD, not 4WD. He's refusing to get rid of his 4WD though so that's out of the question anyway. I've been telling him to pick up a junkyard transmission for cheap but he's set on getting it rebuilt for $600+.

fastredrider44
11-24-2009, 01:10 PM
He might be one of those that has to learn from his mistakes. Lord knows I went through that stage. Heck, I'm still in it.:cool:

Toadz400
11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
He might be one of those that has to learn from his mistakes. Lord knows I went through that stage. Heck, I'm still in it.:cool:

Ehh...I wish he learned from his mistakes, it'd save me a lot of time and trouble helping him out! What are friends for though?