PDA

View Full Version : is a............

honda400-4-ever
07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
is a 440 big bore with 11:1 compression and stage 2 cam faster than a 426 bore with 11:1 compression and stage 2 cam??

extremetrucker
07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Not faster enough to make it worth losing your stock sleeve, when you use a pressed in sleeve like the 440 requires its prone to distortion when it gets hot, some people have good luck with them, I however never did, when honda makes a 400ex cylinder the aluminum is poured around the sleeve, and there is almost like a soldered bond between the iron sleeve and the aluminum cylinder and you get better heat transfer, I say start with a 416 then you will have a bore left if you ever toast it, I've built a few 400s and always had better luck when you can keep that oem sleeve, but to answer your question is a 440 faster than a 426, yes, not a lot, and only if you keep it cool, once things get hot, I dare to lay money the 426 will be running better than the 440. I been out of the game for a while, but I had a lot of experience with these. Just my .02

BEAVER.989
07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Why wouldn't it be? I guess I'm confused...

bbender85
07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Why wouldn't it be? I guess I'm confused...

lol i kinda thought the same thing. i think alot would depend on how well each is tuned in... namely jetting.

katch26
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
the bigger the bore generally yields more power but sacfrifices revability. The other thing to consider is power loss when the motor gets hot as the steel sleeve isnt going to cool as efficiently as aluminum with the nikasil coating.

smelly$cat
07-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I have a 440 and a 426, both are fast, but the 440 gets the nod every time. They are not set up identically though.

It's been a couple months since I rode my 440, but, this weekend at the dunes re-affirmed my continued decision to hang onto her. I was never disappointed with the power and it impressed me time and time again.

I was riding with 2 banshee's and a 700r Raptor this weekend and never felt left behind. In fact, I beat them everywhere we went. Dare I say rider skill and my plush suspension played a big part in that though....

If you can swing a 440, just do it. You'll be happy with it.

killer400ex
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
i was wondering the same thing before i bored mine but decided to go with the 426 because it revvs quicker and higher with alot more ease, and because of all the facts stated above, i was soo impressed with the power, i have a 426 with a stage 2 and full hmf exhaust and it has yet to be beat around here, ive had guys riding 700s come up to me with a shocked look like "thats a 400ex?" look lol you will be extremely happy and it will save you alot of money because you dont need to get it re-sleived and have to worrie about it blowin up

aDviSol2y
07-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I have blown 440's out of the water. But that isn't to say it's not the rider!! LOL!

honda400ex2003
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
or their build. lol. alot can go wrong with some people. tehy just dont have the skill but think they do when building. they choose stuff that goes against each other instead working together. they get pipes for different areas than the motor is designed for and such and it makes it slower. lol. All well makes it easier for us to beat them. lol. steve

aDviSol2y
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
True, but I also blow my brother in-laws KFX 450 away untill the top of 5th gear.....LOL But I think he just doesn't know how to use his clutch.

F-16Guy
07-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by extremetrucker
Not faster enough to make it worth losing your stock sleeve, when you use a pressed in sleeve like the 440 requires its prone to distortion when it gets hot, some people have good luck with them, I however never did, when honda makes a 400ex cylinder the aluminum is poured around the sleeve, and there is almost like a soldered bond between the iron sleeve and the aluminum cylinder and you get better heat transfer, I say start with a 416 then you will have a bore left if you ever toast it, I've built a few 400s and always had better luck when you can keep that oem sleeve, but to answer your question is a 440 faster than a 426, yes, not a lot, and only if you keep it cool, once things get hot, I dare to lay money the 426 will be running better than the 440. I been out of the game for a while, but I had a lot of experience with these. Just my .02
Honda installs the sleeve just like everybody else. The key is finding somebody that knows what they're doing.

A properly built 440 should be as fast as, if not faster than, a 426. The problem is that people buy "kits" off of eBay and don't install them properly. Infact, the original Wiseco 440 kit had more potential than a standard domed 426 piston because of it's flat top piston, but very few people took the time to set it up correctly. They just threw it together and ended up with a dog that had a compression ratio of about 9.5:1. and way too much squish. An off the shelf 87 or 88mm domed piston is better for about 95% of people because you get more performance from them when you just install them without doing any measurements or machining. They're essentially drop-in parts. A truly well built 440 would require decking the cylinder, installing HD studs, and using a straight bore sleeve and machining the case halves to accept it.

Ruby Soho
07-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Honda installs the sleeve just like everybody else. The key is finding somebody that knows what they're doing.

A properly built 440 should be as fast as, if not faster than, a 426. The problem is that people buy "kits" off of eBay and don't install them properly. Infact, the original Wiseco 440 kit had more potential than a standard domed 426 piston because of it's flat top piston, but very few people took the time to set it up correctly. They just threw it together and ended up with a dog that had a compression ratio of about 9.5:1. and way too much squish. An off the shelf 87 or 88mm domed piston is better for about 95% of people because you get more performance from them when you just install them without doing any measurements or machining. They're essentially drop-in parts. A truly well built 440 would require decking the cylinder, installing HD studs, and using a straight bore sleeve and machining the case halves to accept it.

if i do recall, wasn't it common for the sleeve to sink when pressed in? it happened to me atleast.

F-16Guy
07-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
if i do recall, wasn't it common for the sleeve to sink when pressed in? it happened to me atleast.
The sleeve has a lip that sits in a relief in the top of the cylinder, so there's no way for it to move down unless the lip breaks off. I think the problem was that the case didn't have enough clearance for the oversized sleeve, so things would heat up, the bottom of the sleeve would distort, and the piston would get stuck in the sleeve on it's way down and break the lip off. I also heard of problems with small shops taking too much material off of the cylinder, causing the sleeve to be loose in the hole. The sleeve should be a few thousandths bigger than the cylinder hole. When you install the sleeve, you have to freeze it and heat the cylinder, assemble them, and allow them to come to room temperature while keeping pressure on the sleeve. Once at room temp, the sleeve will be locked in the cylinder by interference fit.