PDA

View Full Version : My new DS

steveC450r
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I bought my first DS on friday and I believe its the best 450 I ever rode. It is the MX model and I plan to start racing. I was wondering if there is anything that I should do to it right away?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0717091617.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0718091900.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0718091901.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0718091901a.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0718091901b.jpg
Before I stripped the reflectors and warning labels.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0718091901c.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0718091902.jpg
After reflectors and warning stickers were stripped.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0719092240.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0719092241.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/steviecurci/0719092242.jpg
I love the DS, I can't wait to get it to a track.

jlrenken
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
exhaust is a must

Seed
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Exhaust, intake, power commander should liven it up. Now remember if you put any after market rear shock on the quad, the frame is going to need to be grinded. Also check to make sure the rear stock shock isnt hitting right now. To check compress the rear shock all the way with a ratched strap. If it is hitting some light grinding needs to be done, or you may end up totaling the whole rear end.

steveC450r
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
ok thanks guys, im also trying to get into can-ams racers program. Anybody involved in that because i would like to know a little about it.

Foxstar45
07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Why didn't you tell the salesperson that you were interested in the racer program. you could have got $500 off the price of the quad. They may allow you to join the program now but you won't get everything it offers ($1000 parts account, Motoworks stage 1 kit, and some co-op funds for jersy's, tents, decal kits)

TNT
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Heres what I do on the shock if that’s a 09: Do the check as Seed described and if you see interference give it back to the dealer to fix under warrantee. Also have the dealer check your engine number for updates to the clutch there is a bulletin 2009-9 and not all 09’s have the update. If’s it’s off the show room floor check all the bolts and the front end alignment (need help just ask us). Add a tether; we can help you with that out here.

If you have never raced a quad before that’s all you need to do go buy a Leatte brace and some good gear instead. This quad in stock form is ideal for beginner racers. Take it slow be safe get to know its power and shock set up before adding more power. Once you feel your riding abilities are above the quad’s power and handling there is a pink wire you can cut, take the plastic off it’s by your left knee under blue tape that and a pipe will give a lot more power from a race map you access. You can keep going from there but just make sure you got the riding skills for it first.

craigmacphee
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
If you want to keep your warranty in tact, DO NOT tell them you are planning on racing it, and do not sign up for the racer program. Unless....you weigh out the differences and decide you don't mind voiding your warranty for the parts.

I did the upgrades under the racer program and it REALLY woke the machine up. The Motoworks exhaust and the pink wire cut are MUST HAVEs! Not sure of the actual HP gains, but I am competitive against bigger built LTR's and YFZ's.

If your quad falls under the numbers affected by the 09 clutch fiasco, good luck getting the upgrade. My dealer and BRP rep said it is on back-order until October. You may have different connections to get you what you need, but I did not have such luck.

I wish you the best of luck with your new purchase.

Craig

steveC450r
07-22-2009, 12:15 AM
I did tell the sales person i was interested in the racers program. I filled out the 7 page application and im waiting to
hear back from the dealer.

steveC450r
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I got a call from the dealership and Im approved for the racers program. My first race is sunday at Maple Shade in PA.

ProspectorJim
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by steveC450r
I got a call from the dealership and Im approved for the racers program. My first race is sunday at Maple Shade in PA.

where are you located at? I've always wanted to check out maple shade, but its pretty far away. I'm in SW PA.

HOBS DS450
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Congrats and good luck!

steveC450r
07-23-2009, 10:26 AM
This will be my first time at Maple shade but I believe it is by warren, were are you at in PA? I am following a friend up that races there and I could give you directions.

steveC450r
07-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Ready for the race tommorow. Shaved my fenders, cut some holes in the plastic to keep it cooler, added some camber, removed airbox lid and spark arrestor, cut pink wire, added a pro design tether, removed lights, and added a few stickers and got my numbers on. Should be good to go.

ml450r
07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
how did your race go?

steveC450r
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
First of all we got to the track and missed practice and I never been to the track before. First moto went bad, out of the gate I got wheelied into and that knocked me back into last. Then I made some passes but there is a tabletop with a turn as soon as you land, so I landed and went for the back brakes for the turn and there was none! By the time I could grab the fronts I was already hung up up high in the turn in the bike ruts so I had to get off and lift it out of the the ruts then start it and go. By that time I was probably 3/4 of a lap behind everyone and this happened on lap 1 of 4. So I finally caught up on the last lap but couldnt make a pass. What happened was my brake like was rubbing on the exhaust and I lost pressure, somehow it managed to burn through stainless? Never seen that before. 2nd moto went well, I took second in the holeshot with a pretty much stock bike and ended up taking 4th out of 8 in that race. I didnt have the power that everyone else with built hondas, ltrs, yfzs so in the straights i was toast but im supprised how well it runs stock. I got some pics ill have to post up later. Cant wait to get my sponsorship parts for a little more grunt. I also didnt lower it at all for the race, but thats the first thing i did when i got home after.

Foxstar45
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Same thing happend to my brakes but it wasn't till i put my aftermarket exhaust on. How do you lower the quad?

steveC450r
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
There should be 2 rings an your shocks with slots. One is a lock ring and the other one is what you spin to adjust the height. They will be tightened together, you can either get a tool that fits the slots or use a heavy flathead screwdriver and a hammer to loosen the lock ring. Just loosen up the lock ring and spin it up as far as you want to lower it and spin the ring that the coil is up against up to the lock ring and retighten them together, it is easiest when you take the load off the shocks by either putting the quad on a stand or jacking up the front intil the tires are off the ground. Hope that helps.

craigmacphee
07-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Steve.....don't get frustrated with your "stock" power. Once you get the Motoworks pipe and other parts, you will see a NIGHT and DAY difference in your powerband. You will be able to hold each gear a little longer (over rev) and get there a heck of a lot faster.

With the DS I have found that I use my front brakes probably 90% of the time. Its front brakes are awesome. Just make sure you feather it and don't grab a handfull.

Good luck. Craig

HOBS DS450
07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Kick***** man! Yeah, my rear brake is not working right now either. You will see a big improvment with the pipe.

steveC450r
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
How do you keep the rear brake line from burning again? I was thinking wrap it with heat tape?

Foxstar45
07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
There should be 2 rings an your shocks with slots. One is a lock ring and the other one is what you spin to adjust the height. They will be tightened together, you can either get a tool that fits the slots or use a heavy flathead screwdriver and a hammer to loosen the lock ring. Just loosen up the lock ring and spin it up as far as you want to lower it and spin the ring that the coil is up against up to the lock ring and retighten them together, it is easiest when you take the load off the shocks by either putting the quad on a stand or jacking up the front intil the tires are off the ground. Hope that helps.

That changes the pre-load on the spring. i guess in a way it changes the ride hight but going lower is really not an option. The locking nut needs to be fairly close to the bottom of the adjustment or the spring just falls out. These quads, in my opinion, are about as high as you would ever want them. If I had a choice it would be about 3 inches lowe

TNT
07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Guy’s,

If you can not obtain ride heights in the 6-8 inch range by adjusting the shock collar then your springs may not right for your weight or they may be excessively worn. Most shock companies can tell you where the collar should be, a range, from the top that will tell you if the spring is correct for your weight (EG: Elka, 1”). You might look in the Manual or Users Guide. From the factory most shocks (IE: spring sizes) are set up for 170-175 lb riders.

Ride Height of I/4 inch higher in front are good, I set ours up 7-7 ¼ MX…. Since this quad has a lot of rake you could almost run it level and it will steer clear of ground obsticles. I check my ride height with the rider on the quad at the back engine bolt and front nurf or any place where there is no rake, it really doesn’t matter your just checking level or a slope(angle to the ground). This quad also has an aluminum frame that does not take too kindly to impact from rocks or bottoming out so what I do is watch the bottom and make sure I am not bottoming out. I have also added a layer of tuff liner undercoat you get at Wal-Mart or an auto store, roll on. XC guy’s run their ride height a little higher but it just depends again on the weight of the rider and preference.

Foxstar45
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
mm, they are new springs/shocks, i haven't measured the ride hight yet but compared to other quads built for MX mine seems high.

Blizzard24
07-29-2009, 05:17 PM
TNT is right with getting the ride height set. Raise the preload nuts to get the ride height set. If you run out of preload adjustment and cant get the ride height w the current springs, you need to respring the shocks.

These quads do sit high. I am running at 7" for XC and I am not having any issues w ruts and rocks. I contacted BSTURDIVANT to see what the Warnert Racing guys are running and they are running about the same as I am.

For you MX guys, try going lower. I am betting that 6.5" to 6.75" is where you will want these things.

steveC450r
07-30-2009, 12:48 AM
That is what i was told to do, ill have to put it back were it was. I am about 165-170 pounds with my gear and it seams to stiff for me, can you guys help with were i need to set the lock rings and what i need my shock settings at.

TNT
07-30-2009, 07:33 AM
That is what i was told to do, ill have to put it back were it was. I am about 165-170 pounds with my gear and it seams to stiff for me, can you guys help with were i need to set the lock rings and what i need my shock settings at.

Yes we can besides what we told you about ride height which is your first setting we need to know what areas on the track you have the most difficulites with. You need to get out of the gate faster sounds like, there are shock setting's to help that. How about whoops and corners....there is alot to it it's really best to have someone watch your quad that knows something about it, like diving in corners, if your swing arm is packing up, how your quad handles small and large bumps, does it pull where and when, how it rebounds from big and small jumps, etc.........The ones that are best wiith shocks can relay that info to thier mechanic.......If you are serious about racing I'd say learn quad response and shocks, start noticing it so you can relay to people that can help you with your setting's.

Give us some basic info and we'll start with the basics.....just need to know your problems areas for now?

Other thing is do you know how to pre-load your drive train before starting?