PDA

View Full Version : Hmf exhaust

Goob
07-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I was wondering about the hmf sport series full exhaust if it will b a good one for my 09400x o also have a k&n filter what would you recommed as far as jetting and will j have to change my pilot jet or can I leave it stock

dave07ex
07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I have the hmf sport full system and i love the results. I used the dynojet kit and also removed the choke. The quad is much faster now.

killer400ex
07-20-2009, 01:55 PM
i love my full system, dont get the slip on, i think that the full system is much better, i feel more power throught the range especially bottom end, and it sounds amazing

mjc597
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
i had the full sport series system on mine, with a high comp. piston stage 1 cam and some carb work and i loved it!! the sound was great too !!

ilikedirt
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
is there much difference between the regualr HMF slip on and the ballance slip on?

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 05:39 PM
i was looking at geting a hmf exhaust. I dont know wether to spend the money on a full exhaust or to get a slip on. Is their a big difference in the gain you get from the slip on and the full?

ilikedirt
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM
The full exhaust probably wouldn't do much unless you have some engine work done IMO

The bike is corked up in the silencer, not the headpipe.

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ilikedirt
The full exhaust probably wouldn't do much unless you have some engine work done IMO

The bike is corked up in the silencer, not the headpipe.

ok thanks for the advice, have you had experince with both slip ons and full system? How do you know is what im asking. i have been told so many different things about full compared to slip on i just dont know.

ilikedirt
07-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by rocket_22
ok thanks for the advice, have you had experince with both slip ons and full system? How do you know is what im asking. i have been told so many different things about full compared to slip on i just dont know.

It is just what I have read...If you are on a budget, it'd be better to just get a slip on...

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
o ok. Thanks for the advice!

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
do you know much about the big gun slip ons? Are they any good i have heard some bad and some good on big gun exhaust?

Ryanwolfe911
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
In my opinion, getting anything exhaust related at all is a waste, unless you have internal engine mods.

All you're going to do is piss away your money, make your quad twice as loud, and piss off all your neighbors.

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 06:36 PM
dont really have any neighbors

dariusld
07-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
In my opinion, getting anything exhaust related at all is a waste, unless you have internal engine mods.

All you're going to do is piss away your money, make your quad twice as loud, and piss off all your neighbors.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is a world of difference between a piped and stock 400ex.

Ryanwolfe911
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I totally agree, however, it's negligable. Not worth the money you would spend on a full system, if you don't at least have a cam or something.

I have an HMF quiet core full system on my 400, and I had it dynoed at the shop before and after. Even after removing the choke, jet changes, etc, the most we could squeeze out of it was 3 HP more. I can feel the difference in low end torque, but if I could do it all over again, I'd have just ground down the header welds and got a cheapo slip-on.

dariusld
07-20-2009, 06:51 PM
In my opinion, getting anything exhaust related at all is a waste

You just contradicted yourself.

Ryanwolfe911
07-20-2009, 06:53 PM
No I didn't, I say that now, having known what I did. If I had known that a measly 3HP would come out of what I spent, I never would have done it. It was a TOTAL waste.

dariusld
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
In my opinion, getting anything exhaust related at all is a waste

I'd have just ground down the header welds and got a cheapo slip-on.

You don't see the contradiction here?

Ryanwolfe911
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah I know but you're missing the point. I was saying that IF, I were to do it again ( and I should have tested it this way before shelling out the cash, as we have a bajilion slip- on's lying around) I would have Just done that.

That being said, and I forgot to say, that my stock muffler was hollowed out by the retard 16 year old kid I bought the quad from, so I suppose I didnt' have much of a basline to test from.

BTW, the quad was dynoed on a Superflow chassis dyno. Most of HMF's power gain claims were made with a Dyno-Jet dyno (which has been known for exaggerations)

But whatever the case, Yes, you are right, there is a noticable difference, but not in my opinion enough of one to justify spending half your paycheck on a full exhaust, unless you have a piston, cam etc.

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
ok thanks guys i really appreciate your info!

rocket_22
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
what do you guys think of the big gun exhaust slip on? I really like the sound of it but i heard that hmf is a better pipe? What do you guys think?

Goob
07-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Thank you all for answering my question I just ordered the full sport series system Now what would you guys recommend on jetting I'm new to this