PDA

View Full Version : Valve specs?

ccdhowell
07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
We went on a family riding vacation last week. The Typhoon 90 did pretty well and I only had to help it through a couple of trails, my daughter learned to choose her lines carefully so as not to get hung up.

Anyway, it ran great all week and when we get home and go to crank it to get it off our toy hauler it won't crank. I changed the plug, it has fire, plug sparks blue. I cleaned the carb thinking trash, but saw none. The only thing I can think of now is valves need adjusting. This quad has about 80 hours on it and they've never been done, I knew this day would come, and it looks simple enough, but I don't know the specs. I figure about .005 in for intake and exhaust, is that about correct? Thanks

Ride1Rob
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
It's .003 and .005. Can't remember which side is which but those are the specs.

ccdhowell
07-20-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd be the .005 is on the exhaust side, thanks for the numbers.

double trouble
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
did that fix the problem, beccause i took my boys out this weekend riding and camping and when we got back same thing both of them are not wanting to start checked plug it was fine and after trying for along time finally got them started but neither one would idle until they got warmed up and took a while. then i tried starting them again tonight same thing hard to start and they didn't want to idle. they both have about 60 hours on them and never adjusted the valves. I don't have manual, do you have instructions on procedure for valve adjustment??

Thanks
Ken

Ride1Rob
07-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Ken, with 60 hours it's time for them to be checked. I'm sure their probably out of spec. Get a feeler gauge and I'll walk you through it.

double trouble
07-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Rob,

thanks,
I have a feeler gauge ready when you are

double trouble
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Rob,

I think I have a bigger problem than the valves I did a compression check and one of them barely registers and the other one was about 20lbs and now the first one won't start at all. how difficult to just do overhaul new piston rings etc. Or could valve adjustment make that big of difference in compression?

Ride1Rob
07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Not that much. Your compression should be up around 115-120 psi. So your rings are more than likely shot. Because of the tite fit of the motor you'll have to more than likely pull the motor to take the head off. If you know what ur doing it shouldn't be too hard.

ccdhowell
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by double trouble
did that fix the problem, beccause i took my boys out this weekend riding and camping and when we got back same thing both of them are not wanting to start checked plug it was fine and after trying for along time finally got them started but neither one would idle until they got warmed up and took a while. then i tried starting them again tonight same thing hard to start and they didn't want to idle. they both have about 60 hours on them and never adjusted the valves. I don't have manual, do you have instructions on procedure for valve adjustment??

Thanks
Ken

I just got around to adjusting the valves today, now she starts and runs fine. If your valves are tight, the compression check will be low. Adjust the valves and then check the compression.

I don't have a manual either, but valve adjustment is similar on all 4stroke engines I've seen. It was easy on the Typhoon 90. To start, remove the two plugs on the left side of the engine, one is on the flywheel cover side and one is on top. Next remove the cam gear cover( bolt on the right side of the head). Remove the two rocker covers(17mm wrench). Put a 14mm socket on the crank and turn the crank looking through the top inspection hole until you see the upside down T mark on the flywheel. Check the cam gear, the little indention on the outside of the gear should align with the little dimple on the inside of the head, more or less pointing straight forward. Now you can loosen and adjust the valves. I set both of mine to .005in and that seemed to be fine. Reinstall all the covers and fire her up, mine hit on the second revolution and now runs like a champ.

Good luck to you man.

Chris

Ride1Rob
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
ccdhowell is correct. If those valves are tite it will open up the valves and cause a loss of compression. If the motor isn't smoking blue smoke due to oil buring then more than likely the valves need to be adjusted. Shoot me a PM if you need a walk through. I have Jams motor out of his bike and I'll send you some picture texts of what to do.

double trouble
08-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what happens

double trouble
08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Rob,

went ahead and changed piston and rings adjusted valves started on first kick sounds good going to start on the next one this weekend. a little tricky getting motor out of frame. hey where did you find your elka shocks and what size are they?

Ride1Rob
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
SWEET! Great job man!