PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze in oil....i`m lost???

44oEX
07-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Well i`m getting some antifreeze in my oil. But it`s a weird one, I have had sleeves crack before and it would get it that way, but this time it`s not the sleeve or the head gasket because the bike still runs find and there is no smoke at all. So it almost has to be something with the water pump?

Any ideas? I`m really lost on this one.

Thanks

44oEX
07-21-2009, 06:56 AM
87000 member and i`m the only one that ever had this problem?

Come on guys

miles Machine
07-21-2009, 07:08 AM
water pump seals

JAKE YATES
07-21-2009, 11:13 AM
water pump for sure if you check the radiator it will be low or even empty.

hendershot106
07-21-2009, 02:49 PM
its the press in ceramic water pump seal in the clutch cover side under the water pump cover.....

your coolant level will be low... your oil in tranny will be high.

drain the coolant and tranny oil.. pull the lower radiator hose off.. pull the water pump cover off... break loose the impeller from the impeller shaft... then remove the clutch cover... spin the impeller off the shaft.. slide the shaft out.. check out the shaft and the seals etc.... best to order new seal and shaft..... press the old seal out and tap the new one in.....reassemble and ride....

44oEX
07-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. But I forgot to mention, it`s not the water pump seal because my tranny oil is fine. It`s the engine side oil i`m having trouble with. And like it was said the water pump seal would only mess up the tranny oil and have no effect on the engine side.

So, any more ideas?

Chino886
07-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Have you checked for cracks in the head that is allowing coolant in the engine side?

44oEX
07-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Well I took the valve cover and cam out yesterday and using a cooling system pressure tester, I pressurized the rad. The pressure is slowly leaking out ( I knew it would ) all I know for now is that it`s not leaking in the top part of the head (cam area).

I`m going to take the head and cylinder off today and check, but i`m not sure if i`ll be able to see anything with just a naked eye. I`m thinking the hair line crack is REALLY small and only opens up when the motor gets hot.

Would anyone have any idea as to exacly where the crack could be? anyone crack a head before?

duke416ex
07-22-2009, 07:56 AM
I had head gasket problems before that were hard to find. Mine was putting pressure into teh radiator, it ran like a champ and would only act up after being rode hard for a long time. Then all it would do is spew like it was overheating, but still run fine. I would just keep the headgasket in mind instead of ruling it out.

44oEX
07-22-2009, 07:58 AM
I know what your saying, but when you had the head gasket problem did you get antifreeze in your oil and have your oil turn white?

Fast350ex
07-24-2009, 04:01 AM
You should do a leakdown test to test the headgasket if you didn't tear it down yet.
Shouldn't have more than 10% leakage.

duke416ex
07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Negative on the oil on my quad. I did rebuild one a while back though that got hot and ended up burning a part of the head gasket that leaked antifreeze into the oil and have also seen 480 cylinders crack. Main problems I have seen on getting antifreeze in the engine side oil.

44oEX
07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Well I found the problem. I have a steel sleeve in my cylinder ( I was cracking the stock and got sick of it. ) well anyway, a couple weeks back my fan let go and it got a little hot, didn`t do any damage, I did check it right away. BUT my sleeve is just pressed in and it goes right to the water jackets. When it got hot the sleeve droped down juste a little bit, and it broke the lock tight sealer on the bottom part of the cylinder sleeve. So the antifreeze was seeping down on the outside of the sleeve and getting to the bottom end (engine side) that way. I got the sleeve pressed out and put new sealer on in then pressed it back in, so hoping that will do the trick.

thanks for the hepl guys