PDA

View Full Version : razr1 vs knarly

Banshee_370
07-20-2009, 05:19 AM
ok i have pinned it down to these two for rear tires.

i found the 6ply razr1's for 70 each and the 20" kenda knarly hts for 56 each.

i ride trails, open fields, sand, you name it. I know maxxis is the big name in tires but heard great thing about the kendas. i had a pair of klaws on my old bike and was not oo impressed, they just spun in anything but hardpack so i am a little leary of kendas.

i am leaning towards the razr but i dont want such a heavy tire but like the kendas due to their weight/price but want traction.

what do you think?

Flynbryan19
07-20-2009, 07:17 AM
The only Knarly tire I would touch is the XC. The HT sucks. I've had experience with both as well as the Razr1 and I would recommend the Razr1 out of the 3.

whc
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM
interesting reply, I have just the opposite opinion, I have run razrs for about 6 races, two rear side wall failures one front puncture, I never had a problem with my knarlys althoseem to ugh. t they may not have quite as much bit. I am currently running gbc on the rear and dunlops on the front with no problems so far and they hook up real good, Bill

Flynbryan19
07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I have ran the Kenda klaws(both front and rear), knarly HT's, XC's, and the Sport Radials.

The fronts Klaws pushed very badly in the corners. The rears were a pretty good tire, but tended to spin quite abit and did not have much of a shoulder knob.

The Knarly HT's were ok when new and still had the square on the tire. Soon as the square was gone though the lack of shoulder knob along with the overal short height of the tire made it a pain in any relatively deep rut. They wore like IRON, but again because of the lack of shoulder knob they did not hook up well in the corners. This is a desert tire and may do very well there, but its not a good tire for the XC rider.

The Knarly XC's were a taller tire with a softer compound that griped alot better and had more shoulder knob. It was a pretty big tire though and I felt had a fair amount of shoulder roll. It was my favorite Kenda rear tire though.

The Sport Radial was by far the worst of the bunch. It had VERY good forward traction, but AGAIN because of the lack of shoulder knob it was a horribly unpredictable cornering tire. I have never had such a spin happy unpredictable sliding tire.

In order for Kenda to have a good rear tire they need to have a shoulder lug pattern similar to Maxxis or ITP. The new Kutters seem to be modeled after the Razr2 which will be good in very sloppy conditions, but I wouldn't pick it as my every day tire.

I currently run GBC's as well. I would recommend these tires over the maxxis and definately over the kendas. GBC is coming out with a new tire called the Ground Buster II XC that I will be running when my standard Ground Busters wear out.

buck440
07-23-2009, 06:31 PM
type enough^:rolleyes: maxxis all the way

ccdhowell
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I haven't run the Maxxis Razr I but have run Knarly XCs and liked them pretty good. I have the 22" rear/23" front combo that I run on certain rocky or deeply rutted race courses. The fronts are the Parker DT type and steer fine, as good as Holeshot GNCCs. The rears are standard Knarly XCs and are huge, just a monster of a rear tire, slides well, very controlled and won't easily catch an edge. Forward traction is not as good as a tire like a Holeshot GNCC though. They are cheaper tires, than Holeshots anyway, and wear very well.

Flynbryan19
07-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by buck440
type enough^:rolleyes: maxxis all the way

My apologys for trying to help someone out... I guess I could have made a lame post like "Maxxis all the way" and given him no reason as to why I liked them.... Cause you know, thats REAL helpful and informative....

buck440
07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
apology accepted