PDA

View Full Version : LT80 Starter Relay replacement CHEAP

billlydroveit
07-19-2009, 08:39 PM
So i tried to crank a motor over that was full of gas...overloaded the starter relay and pop, it cooked. Called the Kawi dealer and got a price...$28 and had to wait a few days. I'm an inpatient person when it comes to this stuff!!

While looking at the old relay i noticed it had standard size spade connectors. Went to my tool box and pulled out an automootive relay i had in there and what do ya know...same size. Took out a trusty depinning tool, removed the pins from the hardshell(connector), plugged them into the hard shell that came with the universal auto relay(in their respective locations) and bam..hit the starter button and she started right up. Dealer cost relay...28...one from autoparts store $7. Took me ten minutes to do the swap, saved myself three days, and 20 bucks. It even fits in the stock location with the rubber support that was on the original relay.

This is a simple swap most anyone with some mechanical knowledge can do. So befor you pay the big bucks, give this a try.

mbakes11
08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Can anyone give me the parts number on the starter relay replacement from autozone? I picked one up but it didn't work.

billlydroveit
08-11-2009, 06:29 AM
A few things to check first. Did you get a 5 pin or 4 pin relay? Both work, you just need to know which wires go where. Also did you check power coming into teh relay as well as the ground side? Meaning does the activator side of the relay wires get power when teh brake is on, and you hit the starter button? Any standard 30 amp automotive aftermarket relay should be able to handle the job. Does your's have number on it like 87-87a 30, and then two other numbers like 85-86?

mbakes11
08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
The aftermarket one I bought is a pilot 12v 30a power relay. On the side it show 87-30 and 85-86. When I connect it it does nothing.

billlydroveit
08-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by mbakes11
The aftermarket one I bought is a pilot 12v 30a power relay. On the side it show 87-30 and 85-86. When I connect it it does nothing.

Is there power at the wires? THis is the most important questions. I don't remember what wires should have what, but it's pretty easy to figure out. One wire should have constant 12, one should have when trying to start, one should have ground, and the other goes to starter. This needs to be checked befor going any farther. I can get you the proper wires and what they should do later when i get home from work if you can't figure it out.

mbakes11
08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Everything seems to be getting power correctly. I just had the relay working a couple of days ago but I think I overloaded it.

billlydroveit
08-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Everything seems to be getting power correctly. I just had the relay working a couple of days ago but I think I overloaded it.

You had the stock relay working? or the aftermarket?

85 &86 are the trigger, in other words they get power/ground on the start side of the circuit(doesn't matter which is POS or NEG). 30 is the battery feed, and 87 goes to the starter.

If all your power/grounds are working correctly there is no reason this should not work. If your starter is going bad, it can draw excess power and possibly burn the relay up. Which is how i burned my original relay, trying to start the engine full of gas, and overloading the circuit.

mbakes11
08-11-2009, 08:12 AM
My factory relay clicks when I try to start it. But when I jump it it starts right up. My starter could be going bad but I don't really know.

billlydroveit
08-11-2009, 08:51 AM
My factory relay clicks when I try to start it. But when I jump it it starts right up. My starter could be going bad but I don't really know.

When my factory relay gave out it was still emmitting a light clicking sound, but when i tested it with a light tester it had a short in it. None the less it was still clicking. I jumped the relay and i could get it to start. Then i went to the tool box and pulled out an after market relay, depinned the factory harness, and plugged in the aftermarket and it fired right up!

If you cannot get it to work, let me know, you can e-mail me your number and i can give you a call when i get home and tell you exaclty what color wire i have going where.