PDA

View Full Version : The Old Fart's thread

KevinAb
07-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Just curious how many of us are on here. Seems like a lot of the younger crowd is here, which is cool, too. Hell wish I could get a few years back.

Anyway, how old are you? kids? what do you do?

Me- 38, 2 kids, married 13 years, civil engineer by trade, x-navy...

I rode dirtbikes, gocarts, quads and stuff as a kid, then when I could finally afford my own toys, I got back into it. Trying to get my kids into it too.

buda5bear
07-19-2009, 03:18 PM
this is my first year racing quads both of my kids race soninlaw and the grandson starts next year im am the oldest one on quad at 51 in oct running first in points in the beg class

quad2xtreme
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Not too far from you...about 5 miles north of 540 heading towards Creedmore.

Almost 45, married for 3 years and dated her for 6. My only kid...well, isn't a kid. My stepson is 24, living in Texas, and 20 lbs bigger and twice as strong as me. :mad: I liked it better when he was 14. :p

I manage a group of engineers that provides computer hosting services for the Health business unit within our company. It is really a soup to nuts IT department as we have Operations, Engineering and Implementation, and Support services.

IRISH-RACER-14
07-19-2009, 04:05 PM
im 15....i work for my uncle whos a machinest...he can make almost anything...i got a 300ex mainly...couple of blasters and a yfz450

QuadJunkies
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I hit the big 4-0 this year, I have been married now for 16 years(been together for 19) we have two kids ages 15(Daughter Kelsey) she rides a Suzuki LTR450 and my Son is 12 and rides a DRR90.Both have been riding since the age 8 and 5,my Son is going to a 250 this fall. They race WORCS and MX mainly, a few indoor FT racing in the winter. We like to trail rider abit as well as desert.We live in Kuna, Idaho which is about 20 minutes from the capital of Idaho which is in Boise. I work in Customer Service and have been for 15 years, my Husband works for R&L Carrier as a driver.
I raced for 4 years ,I no longer race,but still do own my 440ex .

I too wish I

As most of the parents here, our focus is on our kids ,family and work in general . not much time for much else.
I wish I had found this sport when I was abit younger, I feel cheated . :(

extremeblastr
07-19-2009, 04:16 PM
i'm 20 i may not be old but all my joints and my lower back will argue with you as long as you can stay awake lol. i've been dating my girlfriend for about 3 years now and we're engaged with no real plan to set a date until shes finished with school. i'm a "manager" (i don't really do anything besides make sure other people are doing what they're supposed to) for a company that sells and repairs kirby vaccum cleaners, we also offer cleaning services. i have every intention of owning my own home by the end of the summer but only if the price is right because no matter what i WILL be back on the track racing next season.

nakomis0
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
15? thought this was for old farts.

I'm 34 but i feel about 54 after riding. Today especially, I over shot a double by about 4 feet and my back is feeling every bit of it.

I didn't start riding till I was about 20. i have a 12 yr old son. And I own a small electrical company, www.RhinoElectrical.com

KevinAb
07-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Nice guys. QuadJunkies- I wish my wife would ride. She wants nothing to do with it. :(

Our kids are only 4 and 6, and I just got them on a little 50cc, the 1st step from their powerwheel battery quad.

quad2xtreme- nice area up there. We're actually getting ready to move into Raleigh, kinda near the fairgrounds/RBC center area, just bought a house there, fixing it up a bit before we move in. We ride Busco Beach a lot, and down south of Harris Lake. Never been to NCMP, worth the trip?

quad2xtreme
07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by KevinAb
Nice guys. QuadJunkies- I wish my wife would ride. She wants nothing to do with it. :(

Our kids are only 4 and 6, and I just got them on a little 50cc, the 1st step from their powerwheel battery quad.

quad2xtreme- nice area up there. We're actually getting ready to move into Raleigh, kinda near the fairgrounds/RBC center area, just bought a house there, fixing it up a bit before we move in. We ride Busco Beach a lot, and down south of Harris Lake. Never been to NCMP, worth the trip?

NCMP has several tracks if you are into the mx scene. That is mostly why I go there. They have about 125 acres of trails that are getting revamped soon. It is more for enduro type trail riding...not slow and scenic.

I trail ride at Carolina Adventure World too. This is definitely worth a weekend trip. I've only been to Busco twice. It really isn't my thing because it is too flat.

wolfpack91
07-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I am 37, married for 12 years (second), with 4 kids. 18 and 15 from first disaster and 10 and 8 from this much better go at it. I work for Barry Calebaut, we make all of the chocolate for Hershey and a lot of other candy companies.

I started riding an ATC 70 at 3, raced a 110 at 11 for first race. Then started racing full time in '85 on an '85 200x. I've raced and won an Illinois State Championship in TT on a 3 wheeler, and MX and Harescrambles on a quad. Raced my first national in '93 at Loretta's and won my first national there in '99. I placed #10 in national points in +25 in 2001, and got hurt in '02 that ended my racing.

All of my kids race. The girls just race fair races but still love it. The boys race all the time and that's pretty much why I'm broke I'm pretty sure.

Wheelie
07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I'll be 31 on Tuesday, never been married, no kids that I know of.

Started riding when I was 21, been a member of this site for 8 years tomorrow.:macho

QuadJunkies
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by wolfpack91
I am 37, married for 12 years (second), with 4 kids. 18 and 15 from first disaster and 10 and 8 from this much better go at it. I work for Barry Calebaut, we make all of the chocolate for Hershey and a lot of other candy companies.

MMMMM!!! You have the YUMMY job! :blah:

Guarenteed if you have kids that race... you have NO MONEY for anything else, including for ourselves. LOL! :p

QuadJunkies
07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I'll be 31 on Tuesday, never been married, no kids that I know of.

Started riding when I was 21, been a member of this site for 8 years tomorrow.:macho

Thats not old! :blah:
Your still a younger whipper snapper! :p ;)

madskrillz2
07-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I may not be an old fart but I'll be 21 in September and it seems like all 21 years have gone by in 5 minutes. Time goes by WAY too fast.

bigd's ex
07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm 46 :( , married for 27 yrs & been with her 30yrs, 2 daughters & a son, ( 26,23,& 22 ). Work construction as a Welder/ Pipefitter out of Local 83 in Wheeling for 25 yrs. Started racing bikes for a while back in the day & been on & off of quads for the last 15 yrs.
Mainly ride trails & would like to get into CC one of these days.

KevinAb
07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
NCMP has several tracks if you are into the mx scene. That is mostly why I go there. They have about 125 acres of trails that are getting revamped soon. It is more for enduro type trail riding...not slow and scenic.

I trail ride at Carolina Adventure World too. This is definitely worth a weekend trip. I've only been to Busco twice. It really isn't my thing because it is too flat.

Give Busco another shot. They've been working on the place a lot, set up a nice track, and a lot of areas with stuff to jump.

I definately wanna check out CAW.

shane071489
07-19-2009, 07:03 PM
well i dont mean to ruin the thread so ill keep it going i turnt 20 on the 14th ha never raced wanted to get into it soon though i try to ride tracks a lot i have an 08 ltr 450....main reason i chimed in i went to CAW (carolina adventure world) last week the track was the worst thing ive ever seen finally found some trails with 2 ft deep ruts going through them we left 2 hours after getting there i was really disappointed ive road durhamtown a few times and that place is hands down 10 x better than caw just wanted to give my 2 cents haha they took 60 bucks for me and my gf to ride and i was highly disappointed

powermadd400ex
07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
im 16, but my dad has you all beat. he is 54, and still rides with me everyweekend :)

timmybreakitall
07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I was lucky enough to have an article done , good thing too because I suck at typing.

http://www.atvriders.com/interviews/tim-shelman-2008-worcs-racing-honda-450r-atv-interview.html

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I AM NOT OLD !!!
(I'm just a VERY High Mileage model)
This October, I will be celebrating the 20th anniversary,...
of my 29th birthday.
(that sounds alot better than the 42nd anniversary, of when I started riding).

Been everywhere, done everything,... AT LEAST TWICE ! (2 1/2 laps around the globe)
and going for my third time around.

Married for 12 years, been together 15, 2.3 munckins, 1.8 dogs, 2 tortoises, some quads, boats, cars, trucks, and hotrods.
Got a house, got a business, and got more friggin' bills than I know what to do with.

Quad18star
07-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I hit the big 4-0 this year,

I wanna see proof of this. Ya don't look a day over 25. :devil:

Bust out the birth certificate scan.

;)

QuadJunkies
07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I wanna see proof of this. Ya don't look a day over 25. :devil:

Bust out the birth certificate scan.

;)

ITs too heavy to pack around... its so old its on a stone tablet! :o :p

Pappy
07-20-2009, 12:06 AM
21 here, 180, hard as a rock and lookin' for trouble:devil:

Ichoptop
07-20-2009, 07:38 AM
just hit 38 this weekend. Married once...didnt like it. No kids, but 2 chihuahuas. I build hotrods and fab during the day, streetrace and cruise around in my Hemi powered 24 Ford Roadster Pickup at night. When I was young I raced motorcross and streetbikes. I had a knee replaced at 19, and broke my back and a bunch of other stuff at 27. I'd like to think that I still got it and I can keep up with the younger crowd but they can do it the next day where I'm on the couch with my girlfriend swapping ice packs for me.

CNC_guy
07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Age 35.

Married for 11 years. She doesn't ride but loves that her hubby and son ride. She's also a big fan of Supercross.

Two boys, 7 and 1. I plan on riding with them for as long as they'll let me tag along. I guess at some point it will be uncool to ride with your dad.

Part owner of a tool & die shop. I take care of all the CNC stuff.

I started riding 25yrs ago but was out of the sport for 10+ years. I haven't raced since I was in high school but I plan on hitting that place that's in the ad up top of the webpage....Southern Ky something er other. It's only about 30miles away so I figure I might as well.

OutlawBill
07-20-2009, 08:33 AM
will so far I am the oldest old fart and I have farts older that some of you young farts, 57

scuzz
07-20-2009, 08:52 AM
38 - Married - 3 kids and I'm currently a Project Manager/Encryption Consultant for the State of Texas.

My wife doesn't ride yet, but our kiddos are still kinda young and we don't dump our kids off at the folks so that we can go do stuff without them.

I got into quads about 5 years ago.

Quad18star
07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
ITs too heavy to pack around... its so old its on a stone tablet! :o :p

So you mean to tell me , you were around when Christ was a kid? :blah:

Quad18star
07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
21 here, 180, hard as a rock and lookin' for trouble:devil:

You wish , You wish , and Ha !!!!!:p

QuadJunkies
07-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
So you mean to tell me , you were around when Christ was a kid? :blah:
I helped write the 10 commandments !! :p

tri5ron
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I thought that I heard somewhere,...
Pappy did the photo shoot, and also has some video of the Red Sea Parting ???

Quad18star
07-20-2009, 12:52 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

I thought that I heard somewhere,Pappy did the photo shoot, and also has some video of the Red Sea Parting ???

Ken's been around since the Big Bang. :cool:

bigd's ex
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Still got the hammer & chisel you wrote them with ? :D

KevinAb
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I AM NOT OLD !!!
(I'm just a VERY High Mileage model)
This October, I will be celebrating the 20th anniversary,...
of my 29th birthday.
(that sounds alot better than the 42nd anniversary, of when I started riding).

Been everywhere, done everything,... AT LEAST TWICE ! (2 1/2 laps around the globe)
and going for my third time around.

Married for 12 years, been together 15, 2.3 munckins, 1.8 dogs, 2 tortoises, some quads, boats, cars, trucks, and hotrods.
Got a house, got a business, and got more friggin' bills than I know what to do with.

Nice, I feel all of your pains. 2 houses currently, shut down the business (construction in this market, blah), back to work for the man now. Lots of bills- check. Still have my toys :D

Around the globe, for work or fun? I went 1/2 way and back twice, Persian Gulf.

GE4x4
07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Be 43 in a couple months, and been married to wonderfull woman for all most 23 years. Got 3 girls, 20, 17, and 14. Been racing since 03.

TheIceMan
07-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll be 39 this Thursday :devil:
I work concrete construction ...cant gripe,pays the bills,keeps me in shape,(yeah right).
I've been married since 2002,but we've been together since 1994.
No human kids,as we both work full time....but tis fun practicing :bandit:
The Mrs approves of my quad&streetbike hobbies,as long as : A) I dont get arrested or B) End up in the hospital .
Sheesh I feel old,Geritol anyone?

KevinAb
07-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by TheIceMan
I'll be 39 this Thursday :devil:
I work concrete construction ...cant gripe,pays the bills,keeps me in shape,(yeah right).
I've been married since 2002,but we've been together since 1994.
No human kids,as we both work full time....but tis fun practicing :bandit:
The Mrs approves of my quad&streetbike hobbies,as long as : A) I dont get arrested or B) End up in the hospital .
Sheesh I feel old,Geritol anyone?

It's still fun practicing, until they beat on the door, "MOMMY!"

My ridin buddy's girl is a nurse in the local ER, He had to promise never to visit her at work. :D

QuadJunkies
07-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
Still got the hammer & chisel you wrote them with ? :D

How did you guess!! :blah:

QuadJunkies
07-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I thought that I heard somewhere,...
Pappy did the photo shoot, and also has some video of the Red Sea Parting ???

You should see what he shot of Adam and Eve! :devil:

dehner47
07-21-2009, 08:17 AM
my turn. my turn.. i'm 29yrs young. body feels like i'm 50. to many broken bones and surgeries from this life style we call quad racing. been riding quads since i was 4yrs old. that makes it 25 yrs in this quad game for me. may still be young, but am an OG in this game i guess you can say. not married. been with gf for almost 3 yrs. em expecting my 1st baby in fed. feb 3rd to be exact. yes thats right, i gonna be a daddy. scary huh?? haha i run the family trucking company. been doing it since i could remember. and thats me in a nutshell :D

F-16Guy
07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
I guess I'm on the low end of the old fart spectrum, but I'll be 32 next month. I'm married with a 3yo daughter and 3 week old son. I've been working for the Air Force in some capacity for a little over 12 years now. Currently an Air Reserve Technician working on fuel systems on KC-135R Stratotankers. I've been riding my whole life. Started with Honda Odysseys and a TRX200SX. My first personal machine was a 1985 KX 80 at about age 12 (??). My current inventory is a pair of 400ex's and a 1996 CR250R. Looking to maybe pick up a RZR in the near future.

hondariderdylan
07-21-2009, 08:52 AM
well, todays my birthday, and i hit 16 years on this crazy planet

i wanted a quad since i was 9 and read an atvrider magazine at the store. Then 4 years ago when i was 12 my mom bought me a 84' suzuki LT185 that i rode for 3 months and blew the tranny up in. Then christmas of 06' i went to take the torn up wrapping paper out to the trashcan in our shed and low and behold there sits a shiny brand dam new 07 250ex

fast forward 2 and a half years and i still have the 250, im 6'1 145 pounds and too dam big for it,im going to my first XC race this weekend and i want a 400ex

there im done, can i be an old fart now???:)

bigd's ex
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
there im done, can i be an old fart now???:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Happy B-Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be carefull what you wish for, stay young for as long as you can. :D

hondariderdylan
07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
thanks man
:cool:

QuadJunkies
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by bigd's ex

Happy B-Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be carefull what you wish for, stay young for as long as you can. :D [/B][/QUOTE]
AMEN to that!
Getting older really sucks :(
My mind thinks Im in my early 20's but my body tells me otherwise. :ermm: I try not to dwell on it, but man... getting up in the morning sometimes really sucks when you have all the aches and pains.

F-16Guy
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm getting out of bed at the same time I used to be stumbling into bed.:(

QuadJunkies
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm getting out of bed at the same time I used to be stumbling into bed.:(

lol :p

KevinAb
07-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for posting guys. I was starting to lose faith in this forum after seeing too many kiddie threads, particularly those bashing a certain 11yo kid. Just wondering if there were any grown-ups around. (OR MODERATORS :( )

hondariderdylan
07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by KevinAb
Thanks for posting guys. I was starting to lose faith in this forum after seeing too many kiddie threads, particularly those bashing a certain 11yo kid. Just wondering if there were any grown-ups around. (OR MODERATORS :( )

there are some mature people around
i try to do my best at that, not be biased,quick to judge,or arrogant

and about smits threads,
thats kids a mess:p

KevinAb
07-21-2009, 09:17 PM
[i]
and about smits threads,
thats kids a mess:p [/B]

He just young and needs to learn some cooth- Engage brain before speaking. He keeps getting fed though.

I just hate to see a forum denigrate to that level. It drives intelligent folks away. They get disgusted, or bored reading the juvenile crap thats posted, then they quit posting here and look elsewhere.

Dylan, you're doing OK for your age. ;)

-old fart

tri5ron
07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Happy b-day Dylan,
It's all good on my end...

ZBlaster
07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
well, todays my birthday, and i hit 16 years on this crazy planet

i wanted a quad since i was 9 and read an atvrider magazine at the store. Then 4 years ago when i was 12 my mom bought me a 84' suzuki LT185 that i rode for 3 months and blew the tranny up in. Then christmas of 06' i went to take the torn up wrapping paper out to the trashcan in our shed and low and behold there sits a shiny brand dam new 07 250ex

fast forward 2 and a half years and i still have the 250, im 6'1 145 pounds and too dam big for it,im going to my first XC race this weekend and i want a 400ex

Coming to Perry I assume? I'll be there in the green Nissan Titan with the white LT-R450 running A class.

hondariderdylan
07-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
Coming to Perry I assume? I'll be there in the green Nissan Titan with the white LT-R450 running A class.

yep the highpoint race:)

i might not be able to make it to this one though becuase i figured out yesterday that my front brake pads are shot and almost down to metal on metal

if i can get them replaced by this weekend i will be there

you probably have see my buddy tommy there, green chevy pickup with the green KFX700 missing headlights now that he rolled it:p

im going to be with him
i will be in a blue f150 with the black 250 if im there

and to ron, thank you bud:)

CHAR250R
07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Turned 40 in March. No big deal. Married for 14 years. 2 sons. Jake is the oldest @11. He has a 08 CRF80, and a 07 TRX90. He's getting a new Raptor 250 in the spring of 2010 but he doesn't know that. Jesse is the younger one @ 8. He rides a 03 XR50, and also has a 86 TRX70 that he rides.

I have:

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
1988 Honda 250R
1986 Honda 350X
1997 Honda XR250R
1996 HD Softail
1989 Mastercraft Tristar 190
1991 Jeep Wrangler

In the works:

1979 Glastron Carlson CVX20
460 Ford
Berkley jet drive

I'm am currently employed at Sikorsky Aircraft. I run all the helicopter transmissions that we manufacture.

I am also a plumber.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

8my_Cash
07-23-2009, 02:40 PM
To the old farts..... you cant be that old if your still riding.

....well first gear for most of yous might seem a little faster now a days :devil:

KevinAb
07-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by CHAR250R
Turned 40 in March. No big deal. Married for 14 years. 2 sons. Jake is the oldest @11. He has a 08 CRF80, and a 07 TRX90. He's getting a new Raptor 250 in the spring of 2010 but he doesn't know that. Jesse is the younger one @ 8. He rides a 03 XR50, and also has a 86 TRX70 that he rides.

I have:

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
1988 Honda 250R
1986 Honda 350X
1997 Honda XR250R
1996 HD Softail
1989 Mastercraft Tristar 190
1991 Jeep Wrangler

In the works:

1979 Glastron Carlson CVX20
460 Ford
Berkley jet drive

I'm am currently employed at Sikorsky Aircraft. I run all the helicopter transmissions that we manufacture.

I am also a plumber.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Adopt me!

I now have most of the toys I always wanted when I was a kid, but never had. I wonder what my son's toy collection will look like in 30 years since I'm getting him started early. :D