PDA

View Full Version : loading atvs

desertjoe
07-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Hello to all,, been lurking and reading and have picked up lots of good info. Thanks,,. I have 2 Polaris trail boss 300's and 2 HondaTRX 200s that I have unselfishly supplied for my grandkids. HA,,!! We used to have a small trailer that would only carry 2 of the four atv's so I purchased a 16" utility trailer to be able to carry all 4 of them at a time. now, here is the problem,,, The trailer is not wide enough to allow the Polaris to manuever in sideways. How d0 other guys load these big mothers and get them in the trailers sideways in order to load 4 ATVs on these trailers,,?? I am not a weakling but do have 63 years of life behind me. Me and the older grandson ( 10 years old) finally were able to pick up the front end of one of the Polaris high enough to clear the trailer top rail and manhandle it around to turn it sideways,,,,wow,, SOAMS,,!!! ! There has got to be a better way!!!! One of my sons tells me that some guys place the ramps on the side of the trailer and drive the atvs OVER the top rail and when it high centers on the top rail,,, they get off and pull it onto the trailer the rest of the way,,,,, that might work to load em,,,,but how do you unload em,,,???? After you do get em sideways,,there is 8" of free room in trailer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Joe r :ermm: :ermm:

gcart2
07-18-2009, 09:16 PM
one in the back of the truck, three in the trailer

:muscle:

tri5ron
07-18-2009, 10:06 PM
can you post a pic of the trailer?

how high are the sides of the trailer?
what type of construction/materials are the sides made of?

desertjoe
07-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey tri5ron,, thanks for the reply. (1 in the pickup and 3 in the trailer wasn't the answer I was looking for,,,) . Don't have my digital with me but maybe in a couple of days I'll get it back. My trailer is a standard 2 axle utility type that you see all over the US. 16 foot bed with 2" X 12" wood planks.74" wide inside. The top rail is 2" pipe 16" above the floor and has verticle 2" pipe braces every 3 feet. I thought about making the top rail removable but I am told that that will make the whole frame weaker as the top rail is what makes the main frame stiffer. The trailers that I see with 4 atvs on them do not have removable sides but have not gotten a chance to ask the owners how they load and unload. Yesterday I saw one going down the road, 4 atvs, one guy, his wife, and 2 small children looked about 8-10 years of age. I tried to stop him,,, but he must have thought i was trying to hijack them or something and just speeded up,,,,! (the little kid in the back flipped me off,,!!!) My wife tells me I have to do something different,,! sheesh. Joe r :o

gcart2
07-19-2009, 09:41 AM
hmm, how big are the 200's?

we fit four in our inclosed, however we have to lift the first two up and then we sit the next two side by side. its a pain.

KevinAb
07-19-2009, 10:35 AM
The rails are just rails, not bracing for the frame. They do nothing for the frame. You got some bad info there. Cut em off, or take it to a welding shop and have them make the rails removable.

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by KevinAb
The rails are just rails, not bracing for the frame. They do nothing for the frame. You got some bad info there. Cut em off, or take it to a welding shop and have them make the rails removable. Well that IS Partially correct, depending on what type and thickness of material is used for the actual main frame.
Te railings actually DO add some structural rigidity to the tailer, BUT,
It CAN still be modified, and still maintain the original integrity of the trailers strength.
(you cant tell that I have some experience in structural design here, can you ???) LOL!

anyway, what I'm basically thinking it to do what the above poster says, and cut/modify one of the side rails tp be a fold-down gate. THEN, you can add a angle-iron gusset to the under/inside surface of the main frame channel to reienforce that setion of frame channel.
Problem solved.

Post up some pics, and I'll give you some dimensions.
It'll work out just fine, and be able to do exactally what you want.

My trailer was too narrow to do the sideways mounting, but I can still get 3 quads into a 5' x 11' trailer, with a little imagination, and ingeniuity. (and I still have room for the extra camping gear !)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9504.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9508.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9506.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9505.jpg

KevinAb
07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Any decent manufactured trailer like he described will have a sufficient enough c-channel frame such that it is not depending on the rails to brace it. No offense, but I assume we're not talking about some homemade job like you've got there. Usually the rails are added to hold crap in, not to keep the trailer together.

My trailers have no rails. This trip we had 6 quads. Put the ramps on the sides, ride on, and strap em down good. I downsized since this pic. That triple axle was too big. My double axle can only hold 5. :(

07-19-2009, 11:36 AM
tri5ron where is spongebob ohn ur 400ex in that picture!!!!!!!i dont see him......

desertjoe
07-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Hey tri5ron,,,, yeah,, your imagination and ingenuity are something I can relate to. Sometimes we make do with what we got cause last time I looked,,,,they all want MONEY for those trailers,,!! I like your side mounted crank for the winch, which has given me an idea for a "quick detachable winch" that will mount to the side rails and be able to pick up the front of the Polaris high enough to swing around and set sideways. I forgot to mention that the 2 Hondas will turn around inside the trailer but those long Polaris won't. hummmmmm,,,

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by KevinAb
Any decent manufactured trailer like he described will have a sufficient enough c-channel frame such that it is not depending on the rails to brace it. No offense, but I assume we're not talking about some homemade job like you've got there. Usually the rails are added to hold crap in, not to keep the trailer together.

My trailers have no rails. This trip we had 6 quads. Put the ramps on the sides, ride on, and strap em down good. I downsized since this pic. That triple axle was too big. My double axle can only hold 5. :(
I've got a feeling that the trailer in this pic is quite a bit more HD than the OP's trailer is. I see a pretty serious sized C-channel subframe/tounge there, besides the HD deck framing.
Certainly, THAT trailer, or anything built like it, would not need to have railing to provide the EXTRA rigidity to the overall strength, and load capacity of the trailer.

No offence taken.
I've just got the impression that the OP's trailer is not quite that HD, and also, it can never hurt, to reinforce a structure that you intend to modify from it's original design.
(just comes from some of my engineering experience).
Whenever I was doing a alteration to structures, it HAD to be as good or Better than original design and engineering intent.

(It's what determined whether a wing would stay on in flight.
Wing spars, and trailer frames, can see some similar loads, and stress factors).
been there, done that.

07-19-2009, 01:37 PM
and where is ur spongebob on ur headlights in this pic?

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
tri5ron where is spongebob ohn ur 400ex in that picture!!!!!!!i dont see him......
LOL!,
that picture was taken, prior to Spongebob and I becoming riding buddies ! LOL !!! He now keeps a watch out for me, on all of our rides. :D :D :D

07-19-2009, 01:42 PM
ahlright lol jus makin sure u didnt lie on that other thread lol!

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by desertjoe
Hey tri5ron,,,, yeah,, your imagination and ingenuity are something I can relate to. Sometimes we make do with what we got cause last time I looked,,,,they all want MONEY for those trailers,,!! I like your side mounted crank for the winch, which has given me an idea for a "quick detachable winch" that will mount to the side rails and be able to pick up the front of the Polaris high enough to swing around and set sideways. I forgot to mention that the 2 Hondas will turn around inside the trailer but those long Polaris won't. hummmmmm,,, Joe, here's some better pics of the winch, and mount that I built myself....
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9497.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9498.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9499.jpg

I got the winch from HarborFreight Tools, it was $58 bucks, or something like that, and it works GREAT !
I highly suggest that you get the same type that has the "Self Braking" function, as opposed to the "Ratchet" type. It makes for a much greater ease of use, (crank one way for up, other way for down, and no ratchet to fail, and no droppoing the quad unexpectedly).
The only disadvantage to the "Braking" type, as opposed to the "Ratchet" type, is that with is "Braking" type, you MUST hand crank it both up AND down. There is no "Freewheeling" function when letting the strap down/out.
but if you are only cranking it in and out about 6 to 8 feet or so, is more "User Friendly" Haha.

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
ahlright lol jus makin sure u didnt lie on that other thread lol! Ron would NEVER lie about something so important and sensitive as the "Angelic Guardian Powers" of the Great and Infamous, Sponge Bob !!! :huh :blah: :macho

Sponge Bob protects me from all the "Trail Troubles"....
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9857.jpg

and the Skull protects me from all the "Desert Demons"...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_9153.jpg

ROTFLMAO !!!

KevinAb
07-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I've got a feeling that the trailer in this pic is quite a bit more HD than the OP's trailer is. I see a pretty serious sized C-channel subframe/tounge there, besides the HD deck framing.
Certainly, THAT trailer, or anything built like it, would not need to have railing to provide the EXTRA rigidity to the overall strength, and load capacity of the trailer.

No offence taken.
I've just got the impression that the OP's trailer is not quite that HD, and also, it can never hurt, to reinforce a structure that you intend to modify from it's original design.
(just comes from some of my engineering experience).
Whenever I was doing a alteration to structures, it HAD to be as good or Better than original design and engineering intent.

(It's what determined whether a wing would stay on in flight.
Wing spars, and trailer frames, can see some similar loads, and stress factors).
been there, done that.

I hear ya. You an aerospace eng? Sounds like you work on some cool stuff. I'm in civil/structural, always dealing with modifying building structures. Somehow things never get built quite as planned. "It's not per the plans, but does it work? If not, how can we make it work..."

I was just thinking of my buddy's trailer- it's set up for hauling mowers and stuff. It has rails around it and a ramp off the back, but would be fine as a flatbed without rails, just helpful for keeping crap contained.

Ya, that trailer was a monster. 20', 21k capacity, and with 3 axles it always ate tires. I just sold it on craigslist. I bought an 18' 2-axle, 14k trailer that does what I need it too (hauls my bobcat).

desertjoe
07-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey Ron,,, I have to take my wife to Denver next week ( sister having surgery) and will go to a Harbor Freight and pick up one of those winches. currentky $29.00, yea) plus prolly several other things I just can't do without. Ha,! Man, I like HB, and the prices. I am going to go with a "removable" type winch to pick up and swing the atv's around. Are you a collector of Tri-5's? I myself have two 55 Chevy HDTP's and a 57 2 door post former hot rod. I installed "Lambo doors" on the 55 and sure looks bit*****!,,!!
Hey Kevin,,,not trying to be argumentative here,, but after talking to a good friend that works for Big Tex Trailers in Odessa, TX,,,he tells me that Ron is correct in that according to the GVWR specs that a particular trailer is fabricated to,,, determins what grade of metal is used and also wheather a top rail is utilized or not. The lightweight trailers ( similar to mine) are made with 3"X6"X3/16 angle AND either a 2 3/8" top rail or a 2"X2" square tubing top rail,,,again,,based on the build specs for that GVWR,,,,, and you CANNOT remove the top rail on those that are fabricated with it without compromising the structual integrity of the trailer. Heavy duty trailers like yours are usually made with heavy duty square OR rectangular tubing and thickness based on the GVWR. Hope this clears up some issues. Hav a great one,,,Joe

fastredrider44
07-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Gotta love sport bikes. We wheelie ours on the ramp onto the trailer sideways so we don't high center. Prolly wouldn't want to do that on a utility though. (but if you do, make sure the camcorder is rolling) It is a pain to load them all sideways. I thought I had some pics of us loaded, but can't locate them.

tri5ron
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by desertjoe
Hey Ron,,, I have to take my wife to Denver next week ( sister having surgery) and will go to a Harbor Freight and pick up one of those winches. currentky $29.00, yea) plus prolly several other things I just can't do without. Ha,! Man, I like HB, and the prices. I am going to go with a "removable" type winch to pick up and swing the atv's around. Are you a collector of Tri-5's? I myself have two 55 Chevy HDTP's and a 57 2 door post former hot rod. I installed "Lambo doors" on the 55 and sure looks bit*****!,,!!
Hi Joe,
yeah, I made mine removable too with the "J" hooks because it has to sit in one position to load the 250ex, the move it back to load the 400ex. only takes about 60 seconds to move it.

and yeah, your one of the few who have picked up on the meaning of my screen name.
I've got a '56 sedan. chassis and suspension is all redone, disc's up front, dual diaphram vac booster, swaybars on both ends, new brake/fuel lines, fuel tank, gas shocks, rear upper shock support ladder, etc.

still needs the body/paint/interior done.

I've got three different engines, two tranny's, that I'm flipping the coin over which to put in, (still got the ol' Blue Flame & 3 on the tree right now). I've got a good auto/tilt colume, blank with no key switch, to use for it.

Danchuk is only 15 minutes from my house, and one of my best buddies just retired from running all the parts dept.

the town I live in has a hotrod shop on just about every block :D

KevinAb
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
[i]
Hey Kevin,,,not trying to be argumentative here,, but after talking to a good friend that works for Big Tex Trailers in Odessa, TX,,,he tells me that Ron is correct in that according to the GVWR specs that a particular trailer is fabricated to,,, determins what grade of metal is used and also wheather a top rail is utilized or not. The lightweight trailers ( similar to mine) are made with 3"X6"X3/16 angle AND either a 2 3/8" top rail or a 2"X2" square tubing top rail,,,again,,based on the build specs for that GVWR,,,,, and you CANNOT remove the top rail on those that are fabricated with it without compromising the structual integrity of the trailer. Heavy duty trailers like yours are usually made with heavy duty square OR rectangular tubing and thickness based on the GVWR. Hope this clears up some issues. Hav a great one,,,Joe [/B]

I been noticing that on other trailers as well the last couple days since seeing this thread- That on smaller trailers the bottom rails are often smaller if they have top rails. I stand corrected. :cool:

I just remember looking at some of the larger trailers before I bought mine and they were the same sized c-channels with or without rails. But, those were pretty heavy equipment trailers. My current trailer is 18', 2-axle, 14k capacity, and was looking at similar sized ones.

desertjoe
07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey Ron,,, I did a complete frame off on my 55,, and let me tell you,, I won't ever do that extensive a project ever again,! I took the 55 down to the last nut and bolt, cleaned or replaced it and at this point in time, I finally have got the body setting back on the frame. When I first started, I was going to go back orinigal so the stock rear end was re-installed. I now have a 406 with KB pistons, Brownfield aluminum heads with 210 CC intake runners and 58CC chambers. Also an Edelbrock Pro Ram tunnel ram with two 660 center squirters. Camshaft is an Isky roller with Crower lifters and rockers. One wicked SOB,! I have since installed a 9" out of a 1958 Ford Thunderbird that was actually narrower than the stock chevy. It has a posi unit out of a 70 Mach 1 with 3.70 gears. I am in process of fabricating a 4 link for it. The front suspension is a polished straight axle from a 32 ford with a single transverse spring and an aluminum corvair steering box. In order to clean up the firewall, I installed an under the floor brake master cylinder form a 1958 chevy pickup. this thing is like Dolly's "coat of many colors" yea<!!!