PDA

View Full Version : Someone update me on the whole quad scene from the last 4 years.

yamablaster24
07-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Hello folks, My names Matt. Some of you ollddd members may remember me from way back when. I used to race Mx and I have owned pretty much every quad from 2006 to 1989. From 450r's to 400ex's to blasters to lt80's to polaris's to warriors, I think ive ridden them all.

Reason im posting on this site is...

After breaking both my legs and getting a titanium rod put in my leg, i stopped racing and got into crotch rockets. I recently bought a 2009 R1 (holy balls this thing is nuts) and riding this thing made me want to get back into racing motocross. Plus i really miss the feeling of finishing a race. \

WHATS OUT THERE?? Whats the baddest, fastest, built for MX quad out there? Im not trying to spend over 6 grand. Im thinking about getting an already built 2007 or up YFZ450? I want the thing to be reliable, fast, and ready for the track. I attached a picture of my old 2006 450ER (this was right when they came out 4 years ago. )

madskrillz2
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Can't go wrong with a Suzuki

JR3
07-18-2009, 12:35 PM
all personal opinion dude whatever quad the person has in their signature they are gonna say is the best and talk about how bad the other ones are. i switched from a 450r to a yfz the yfz just fit how i ride a lot better. if u have buddies that ride test ride their 450s and see which one suits you best. opinions are like *******s every body has one.

yamablaster24
07-18-2009, 12:37 PM
none of my friends ride anymore, however i rode a stock LTR about 6 months ago and I felt like Doug Gust in no time. I might just try to pick one of those up. Im mostly looking for any problems that any of the big 3 might have like cracking frames or anything like that. Thanks in advance.

extremeblastr
07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
none of my friends ride anymore, however i rode a stock LTR about 6 months ago and I felt like Doug Gust in no time. I might just try to pick one of those up. Im mostly looking for any problems that any of the big 3 might have like cracking frames or anything like that. Thanks in advance.

only thing i can really think of off the top of my head that would turn me off of buying a stock bike would be the connecting rods in the kawis, but not everybody has the issue. its at the point where which ever one your most comfortable on is the way to go.

rollie
07-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Pick a color, haha

07-18-2009, 02:21 PM
honda!!hands down

JR3
07-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by honda4life818
honda!!hands down

haha see what i mean. i never would have imagined a guy with the name honda4life would write that haha

muddy400EX
07-18-2009, 03:04 PM
cant really go wrong with any of them

but i love my zuki:D

07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
KTM 450 XC........alot of people dont know bout them.......but they are very very nice.......i mean imagine the best dirtbike company (KTM)and them makin a quad......ktms are great quads.....i mean jus read the reviews...but i have a honda...its nice but ktms are better....but thats my personal opinion...

ZeroLogic
07-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
KTM 450 XC........alot of people dont know bout them.......but they are very very nice.......i mean imagine the best dirtbike company (KTM)and them makin a quad......ktms are great quads.....i mean jus read the reviews...but i have a honda...its nice but ktms are better....but thats my personal opinion...

I wouldn't touch a KTM bike. Where do you get all your facts? If they were the best why don't everyone have one? Everyone don't know about KTM 450?

Kill Til Monday.:o

Oh boy.

ProspectorJim
07-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I wouldn't touch a KTM bike. Where do you get all your facts? If they were the best why don't everyone have one? Everyone don't know about KTM 450?

Oh boy.

Kick Till Morning

07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
well i read alot on the internet and i get every issue of dirtwheels and 4-wheel action and they said that the ktm is one of the best trail bikes....except there really exspensive but like i said its my personal opinion

JR3
07-18-2009, 03:47 PM
your first mistake was believing dirt wheels

madskrillz2
07-18-2009, 03:47 PM

I....think.....you.....need.....to......stop.....u sing.......so......many......periods........

07-18-2009, 03:51 PM
lol............................................... .................................................. ................................................lo l................................................. .................................................. ..........................lol..................... ..............................ahlright guess ur right ill quit useing so many periods.......................................(but not this post)............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................

TWISTED
07-18-2009, 04:51 PM
As far as a nice quad right out of the box, the KTM is hard to beat.... I have a built Honda, but if I had to buy something today, it would be a KTM, hands down.............

LTR450_#67
07-18-2009, 05:04 PM
I know this will be biased cuz I have a Zuki but from my experience they are great EXCEPT most of the '08-'09s will have 3rd gear destroyed in under 15-20hrs if they are ridden hard. Go for a '06 or '07 LTR...the trannies sometimes whine when ridden hard, its not major, just annoying but a lot of LTR riders have discovered it's safe to run another 200ml of oil and it goes away for good. Suzuk changed the gear designs in '08 to get rid of the whine and for some reason the 3rd gear is a weak link. For '09 they updated the 3rd drive and driven gears with oil grooves but it's still no bueno (Read my sig.). The frames are pretty stout. With a pipe and cherry bomb they run pretty good. Then engines are pretty reliable from my experience. All LTR's need a shift pin relocator as it's pretty common if you land on the shift hard you will break the shift pin out of the case. And even if you do that most brackets available will fix it without you replacing the cases due to the design....I hear if you get the stock shocks redone they are pretty good. Most places can get you an extra inch of travel out of the fronts.....I hear C&D, GT-Thunder, Moto-Xperts, PEP and I-Shock do great work. The stock axle is on the weaker side but not bad for a stocker. I have bent mine slight, but that was from flat landing from about15-20Ft up learning big downhill jump the hard way. Stock tires suck. Yoshimura, HMF and DASA are the top 3 pipe from what I have seen.... Brakes are good but not Honda good. LTR starts easy hot, cold, or stalled. I love the handling but I think it fits my riding habits/style. Pretty reponsive to body input. Neutral jumper.....I just feel super confident on it.
I know some say it's heavier but I still think it's great. If you want you can loose some weight (like 10lbs-ish) with a kickstart kit but they are pricey($500). I got one for cheapish ($200 (still enough!)) off a guy and from talking to a couple other guys that have it, they say they wish they would have gotten it earlier cuz with removing the rotating mass of the starter gears it revs much quicker. Changing the oil is kind of a pain. I recommend a steering dampener. Stock bars are easy to bend. The seat is perfect IMO as it's not too soft yeat not too firm.

Since mine has been down, I have been riding my buddies '06 450R with Hi-comp piston, pipe, jetting, cam(I think), Elka/House long travel set-up and I like it a lot but it seems like when I want to pour it on and go faster around the track the quad just doesn't do what I want. Whereas my LTR, it does what I want. Maybe I'm not used to the Honda enough either. I like it but what I like most is the ZPS and LT on it and I'm sure that suspension is next on my list of things to get done.

And to be honest I've never ridden a Kawi, Can-Am, the new YFZ-R or either KTM.

My 2 cents

UnderFire
07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
yfz or ltr...

sparks 450
07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
TRX 450r

MX MaNiAc 06
07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

Oh boy.

Because they're so damn expensive.

I have a Honda 450r with somewhere around 18k invested. This thing had it all for MX.

Got a KTM 505SX bone stock.. faster the first time I took it to the track than I was with 3 years of experience on my worked Honda 450r. Why doesn't everyone have one? Beats me...

madskrillz2
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
I know this will be biased cuz I have a Zuki but from my experience they are great EXCEPT most of the '08-'09s will have 3rd gear destroyed in under 15-20hrs if they are ridden hard. Go for a '06 or '07 LTR...the trannies sometimes whine when ridden hard, its not major, just annoying but a lot of LTR riders have discovered it's safe to run another 200ml of oil and it goes away for good. Suzuk changed the gear designs in '08 to get rid of the whine and for some reason the 3rd gear is a weak link. For '09 they updated the 3rd drive and driven gears with oil grooves but it's still no bueno (Read my sig.). The frames are pretty stout. With a pipe and cherry bomb they run pretty good. Then engines are pretty reliable from my experience. All LTR's need a shift pin relocator as it's pretty common if you land on the shift hard you will break the shift pin out of the case. And even if you do that most brackets available will fix it without you replacing the cases due to the design....I hear if you get the stock shocks redone they are pretty good. Most places can get you an extra inch of travel out of the fronts.....I hear C&D, GT-Thunder, Moto-Xperts, PEP and I-Shock do great work. The stock axle is on the weaker side but not bad for a stocker. I have bent mine slight, but that was from flat landing from about15-20Ft up learning big downhill jump the hard way. Stock tires suck. Yoshimura, HMF and DASA are the top 3 pipe from what I have seen.... Brakes are good but not Honda good. LTR starts easy hot, cold, or stalled. I love the handling but I think it fits my riding habits/style. Pretty reponsive to body input. Neutral jumper.....I just feel super confident on it.
I know some say it's heavier but I still think it's great. If you want you can loose some weight (like 10lbs-ish) with a kickstart kit but they are pricey($500). I got one for cheapish ($200 (still enough!)) off a guy and from talking to a couple other guys that have it, they say they wish they would have gotten it earlier cuz with removing the rotating mass of the starter gears it revs much quicker. Changing the oil is kind of a pain. I recommend a steering dampener. Stock bars are easy to bend. The seat is perfect IMO as it's not too soft yeat not too firm.

Since mine has been down, I have been riding my buddies '06 450R with Hi-comp piston, pipe, jetting, cam(I think), Elka/House long travel set-up and I like it a lot but it seems like when I want to pour it on and go faster around the track the quad just doesn't do what I want. Whereas my LTR, it does what I want. Maybe I'm not used to the Honda enough either. I like it but what I like most is the ZPS and LT on it and I'm sure that suspension is next on my list of things to get done.

And to be honest I've never ridden a Kawi, Can-Am, the new YFZ-R or either KTM.

My 2 cents

Well said. Everything I wanted to say and then some. The LTR might carry a tad more weight but I sure as hell can't feel it.

TWISTED
07-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Because they're so damn expensive.

I have a Honda 450r with somewhere around 18k invested. This thing had it all for MX.

Got a KTM 505SX bone stock.. faster the first time I took it to the track than I was with 3 years of experience on my worked Honda 450r. Why doesn't everyone have one? Beats me...

AMEN!!! I rode a 505 at a KTM demo and thought the samething.....

LTR450_#67
07-18-2009, 11:47 PM
If I were to buy another quad it would be a KTM SX450.....a white one though. ....who knows maybe I'll get a used one.

MX MaNiAc 06
07-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED
AMEN!!! I rode a 505 at a KTM demo and thought the samething.....

If people want to be arrogant keep thinking it's not all that and a bag of chips.. so be it. Less people for me to worry about at the races.

TWISTED
07-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
If people want to be arrogant keep thinking it's not all that and a bag of chips.. so be it. Less people for me to worry about at the races.

I hope you do realize that I'm agreeing with you....

TWISTED
07-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by hondarider11
TWISTED do you still have your honda? I really have to ride a ktm!

Yep... It was sold, but the guy backed out the day he was coming to get it... It's getting ready to go back on the market though...

MX MaNiAc 06
07-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED
I hope you do realize that I'm agreeing with you....

Haha yes I do. I just said that for all the people that say "with the money saved you could make any Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha better."

07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
i like ktms.............but my personal opinion

extremeblastr
07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
i like ktms.............but my personal opinion

yeah, we got it. stop talking.

bansheeboy321
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
aint missed much....mooded quads are modded quads. I would still prefer after market framed 330r.

deathman53
07-19-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah, I'll take my 250r and 250r hybrid over any quad. I've ridden a good share of them and didn't like them that much. I would consider a 04/05 trx450r w/ aftermarket suspension, modded motor and chassis parts to match. I know a guy with a 07 450er, he rides his lsr 350pvr most of the time. Does that say enough???

07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
told u lol.............and now i guess u guys are gonna tell me that im a dumb 11 yr old who dont know SQUAT......ya ya i know and im gettin real anoyed with people sayin that......

madskrillz2
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah go play with your lincoln logs

07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
see wat i mean.....if im wrong jus corect dont get pissy plz.........i bet if u didnt know if i were 11 u would treat me way better

extremeblastr
07-19-2009, 07:47 PM
see wat i mean.....if im wrong jus corect dont get pissy plz.........i bet if u didnt know if i were 11 u would treat me way better

actually it would be wayyyy worse because we would just assume you were a 17 yr old with the mentality of an 11 yr old. get a clue and stop posting.

madskrillz2
07-19-2009, 08:48 PM

No we would just think you were this guy.

YOU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5EQB5ejPc&feature=channel_page)

Exrider434
07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2

lmfao!

he should use that "filler" to fill in them nasty teeth

madskrillz2
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
lmfao!

he should use that "filler" to fill in them nasty teeth

Haha that's what's so great about it. All them nasty teeth and he's talking about tooth paste as a filler. Maybe he should get a clue and try using it to BRUSH his teeth.

TWISTED
07-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by hondarider11
TWISTED are you going to get a ktm? Those quads do look really good. Just watching them at the national I am impressed.

My next toy will be some kind of side by side..... Just gotta decide which one the wife and I want.........

Ryan
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2

LMAO, that was too funny... I had to leave that guy a comment...

Honda111
07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
After 6 years with a Honda Nate switched to a KTM 505sx. It does have a lot of power and handles really well. They are more money initially but you can run the KTM stock and it will still be a good race bike.
Nate has a 2008 Honda for sale and (2) KTM - 1 preseason and 1 race - for sale. Look in the classifies under Honda111 if you are interested.