PDA

View Full Version : How to mount and unmount tires?

shulist721
07-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Does anyone know the technique to mount and unmount your tires from your rims? The local dealerships, etc. charge like $25 a tire. Seems a bit pricey to me. I think they make tools for this, but can someone give me directions.

Thanks for your time.

400cc
08-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Dennis Kirk sells tire changing tools

BM@Ronayers
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
It may be a bit pricey but doing by hand with tire irons without a tire machine is a pain in the arse! Dealerships are not the only people who do it though, anywhere that changes tires can do it. Alot of times its cheaper to go to walmart or even a car tire place. If I am not mistaken someone on here said they got it done for $10.00 each at a walmart. I am not sure how accurate that is though. I use to change tires at a dealership I worked at and that tire machine is worth its weight in gold! You also have to be concerned about scratching the rims all to heck with tire irons. The biggest pain to get the tire off without a machine is breaking the beads. It is even a pain on the machine. Now dont get me wrong I am sure there are people on here that can get a tire on and off without a machine as fast as I can on a machine but it doesnt come without practice. Just my 2 cents but I would just pay someone to do it, and I typically dont pay anybody to do anything!

zip69_1999
12-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I know this is an old thread but, I took my tires to PepBoys and they did them for free, they don't have a way to ring up ATV tire mounting. Just my .02 !

dubee
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
x2 takin them off is the hardest, puttin them on is easy as pie, see if you can find somone to just bust the beads somewhere and do the rest yourself.

I got a place locally that does it $3 a tire, i wouldnt do $25:eek:

mxpimp2000
12-30-2009, 05:52 PM
i just invested in a harbor freight tire changer. $49.99 and i can say it is pretty good investment over takin ur tires to get them mounted.

i use to take mine down to the local shop and have them break down the bead then i would take them home and do the rest by hand. i have beadlocks so i only have to break down 1 side of the tire.

youtube has a few videos of ppl demostrating the harbor freight tire changer.

JM317
12-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Walmart will mount and dismount a tire for $5. My local one will usually break beads on beadlocks for free.

Honda4life05
01-05-2010, 11:40 AM
my bud took his tires to wal-mart. they spent an hour on them then told him they couldn't do it. when he got home he noticed a huge gash in the wheel from them trying to take it off. probably just the walmart around me though.

atv fan 28
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
i know this sounds like a stupid,redneck sort of way but we have took a truck and ran over the tire right next to the wheel to break the bead. i know it sounds stupid but me and my riding buddies have done it several times.

mxpimp2000
01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
i know this sounds like a stupid,redneck sort of way but we have took a truck and ran over the tire right next to the wheel to break the bead. i know it sounds stupid but me and my riding buddies have done it several times.

x2 same here until i got tired of reverse/drive/reverse/drive/reverse... u get the idea and it took a while sometimes and sometimes there was no hope so i had to take them down to local service station and they done it for free. but now i decided id just spend 49 dollars and do it at my house from now on and be able to change up to 16inch wheels. best 50 bucks on tires ive spent. cant go wrong with harbor freight tire changer.