PDA

View Full Version : Utility Suggestions???

matt14c
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Im looking for a quad for the ole lady and have been thinking of getting a utility. She has been on a couple sport quads and doesnt like the clutch or know how to use it much if at all! I thought about getting a 250ex or something with an auto clutch but I dont like the looks of the 250ex's. So I have been thinking of gettin her a utility. Something that she puts in drive and goes or maybe the ES of the Honda. Plus that way there I will have something for around the yard and plowing snow. Im a Honda first guy and like the Foreman or the Rancher 4x4's with the power steering. I also like the Renegade 500 by can am but just dont like the price tag! I have had really good luck with Honda ATVs and have had many and they have never let me down. As well as Ski doo sleds so I trust that brand also. I guess im wanting to hear or see if any of you have gf's, sisters, wives, mistresses that ride or ride utilitys. Shes about 130 lb soaking wet so thats why first thought was a sport quad because of weight but then again I think the utility may ride nicer or better on the trail. Shes a city slicker and has never ridden anything before until lately when I have her try a Raptor 350, 300ex and my dads 300 4x4. Suggestions/Ideas?

ridered11
07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda Recon, it's the same thing as the 250ex but the utility version.

You can beat the piss out of those things.

07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
well from my opinion a 250ex,suzuki z250,arcticat dvx 250,polaris trailblazer250,or polaris phoenix 200 sounds perfect......but a 4x4.......how bout a grizzly 700 or thundercat 1000?????=)jkin cuz there faster then ur 400ex.....but if ur lookin for somthin new that rides nice and has powersteerin maybe get her a rancher,foreman or kingquad 450 or grizzly 450....and if she's a descent rider mayb a grizzly 550.......look into that but tell us more about like wat cc.....how new.....and u knew stuff like that

matt14c
07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
Honda Recon, it's the same thing as the 250ex but the utility version.

You can beat the piss out of those things.

There not 4x4 though and if I were to get one of those I might as well just get the 250ex. Of course you can beat the piss out of it its a Honda you can beat the piss out of all of them. I have a 94 trx90 that the motor has never been opened but to change the oil and that damn thing has been put through hell multiplied by 10.

matt14c
07-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
well from my opinion a 250ex,suzuki z250,arcticat dvx 250,polaris trailblazer250,or polaris phoenix 200 sounds perfect......but a 4x4.......how bout a grizzly 700 or thundercat 1000?????=)jkin cuz there faster then ur 400ex.....but if ur lookin for somthin new that rides nice and has powersteerin maybe get her a rancher,foreman or kingquad 450 or grizzly 450....and if she's a descent rider mayb a grizzly 550.......look into that but tell us more about like wat cc.....how new.....and u knew stuff like that

I would NEVER buy a polaris so a few of your suggestions are out of the question. She has never ridden before so im not looking to put her under a crazy beast of a quad. If it could go 100mph it wouldnt matter she wouldnt do it. She has 15-20 minutes of seat time on a quad in her life! SHe seemed to like my dads honda 300 4x4 but that things a dinosaur and slower than dirt! Im not expecting her to keep up with me and dont have many expectations of her abilities but I want her to try riding and she wants to try it! As far as new or old I want something newer prolly 05 on up but depends on the price and deal I would start looking at used but wouldnt rule out Brand new. As far as cc's I would say 500 would be the limit. As I said before all of that wont get used so no since in spending $8k plus on an crazy 7 or 800

07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
matt ur totally right about polaris's......the only good quads they make is outlaw's and predators and some scramblers (depends on year) like i had a polaris scrambler 50 for 6yrs and put that through evrything u could think of.....flipped it a couple times but it started first kick evrytime or 2nd kinck in winter but then i got water in the engine so me and my dad did a full rebuild and and ran like a champ again!!......but my opinion on a 250ex is prolly a great quad.......i guess i do tend to be "hard" on my 250 but it runs great!!!!and if u put a billet exhaust tip on it,it'll wake it up nicely

hondariderdylan
07-18-2009, 05:11 AM
he already said the doesnt want an EX

i would say look for a rancher, small 4X4 or somthing equvalent

there are a couple of small bore 4x4s but you might have to shop around for a good one as many have been lifted,snorkeled,modded, and end up unsuitable for a new rider

07-18-2009, 06:31 AM
well i guess if u dont lke the 250ex's u could always get like a suzuki ltz-250,or arcicat dvx 250,do u like those.....and the new dvx is a 300 and im not sure if it has a clutch.......but a rancher sounds good for her

06 Honda 450R
07-18-2009, 10:00 PM
ide have to say the rancher cause it can have 4x4 and powersteering, it isnt high in cc's but that makes it cheaper, it is the best selling utility quad on hondas utility line

tri5ron
07-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I realize that you've already said you don't like the looks of the 250EX, and you've also mentioned a preference for fully auto, as well as 4X4.

BUT,... You've also said you like honda's dependability, want a quad for her that is easy to ride, and that she has minimal seat time.

a few things to consider here....
how much are you willing to spend on a quad that she may only ride a few times, and then decide that it's not really her "thing".

how important is the whole 4X4 & power steering?
will she REALLY be able, (or willing), to ride it in rough enough terrain to justify 4WD ?,
or is the 4WD more in the intrest of you plowing snow?

If you priority is to have a quad for her, as a novice rider, and you want ease of rideability, near bulletproof dependability, & low maintaince requirements,...
You might want to reconsider the 250EX.

If your priority is to have a extra quad for yourself, that is a 4X4 utility, that she will ride only occaisionaly, then the 250EX is out.

My wife is as novice as it gets.
She will never knowingly take a trail that will require/justify 4WD.
and I don't think she has ever had it in 5th gear.

She gets all the fun she wants, riding slowly, on easy to medium trails, and has no desire to do any donuts, wheelies, slides, jumps, etc.

I've had her out on a few trails that I had to ride her bike up a trail that was steeper/rockyer/sandyer/rougher than she was willing to ride up.
I was quite surprised at how well the 250EX would handle some pretty tough hills/trails.
(and I had it loaded down with 50 lbs of racks and camping gear !) it never failed me once, and has climbed everything I pointed it towards. Heck, a couple of times, I was in first gear standing of the pegs, leaning over the bars, with my chin almost on the front bumper ! LOL!
and if it had 20" rear tires instead of the stock 22's, then it would do even better !

here's a few pics from 2 weeks ago in the mountains...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9958.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9954.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9947.jpg

and here's a few from Fathers Day, in the desert...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9909.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9889.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9885.jpg

I'm not really trying to sway you either way, ...
just trying to provide some "Food for thought".
You should definately go with what will best suit your needs and serve your purpose.

One suggestion though,...
go ahead spend the cash, and suit her up, first thing, in the full ragailia of Chest protector, elbow/knee pads, boots, gloves, goggles, helmet, etc.
Remember,... She is a rookie, and if she falls and smacks an elbow, gashes a knee, or bruises her chest, chances are she wont be so willing to ride some of your favorite trails/area's.

Also, I found that investing in a couple of two-way radios, with helmet speakers and mic's, has been well worth it.
It allows me to keep in contact with her, allows me to warn her of upcoming obsticals or difficult sections in the trail, and she feels more confident knowing that she can call out to me when she wants to take a break.

ride safe, and keep the rubber side down.
Ron

matt14c
07-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks Tri5ron for all the helpful information! The 4x4 I was thinking for yard work not neccesarily that she would need it. Im either going to be on a 400ex or 250R so im not going through much either! The power steering I just thought of to help her out. I know some of the big utilitys these days can be a handful especially for an unexpirenced rider. The primary concern is not really to get her a quad but more or less to get a quad that she can ride. If that makes sense. I wont be riding the 250ex so looks arent really that important but if I get one and she hates riding then im gonna lose a bit of cash or be stuck with something I dont need or want. Alot of my friends are starting to move to utilitys so it would prolly get more seat time than even I think. As far as gear I already got here a helmet and some goggles along with a jersey and couple pair of gloves. I will have to see if she likes it I think before I drop and get boots. Pants and some of the other safety items might not be a bad idea. Thanks again.

07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
my 250ex is great!i highly suggest one......i wanna get rid of mine cuz its gettin to small for me.....but dont let her do any donuts on a 250ex cuz they'll flip right out from under u cuz they kinda got a short swingarm.....but tri5ron where did u get them powermadd handquards and mountingkit???cuz ive looked everywhere for them for my quad and i was surprised ebay didnt have em!!!

exrider12
07-19-2009, 11:07 AM
They are universal..:rolleyes:

07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
u have to get different mounting kits right??or are the mounting kits universal also???and how much are they with the guards,and mounting kit???and how much are cyrca's???

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
my 250ex is great!i highly suggest one......i wanna get rid of mine cuz its gettin to small for me.....but dont let her do any donuts on a 250ex cuz they'll flip right out from under u cuz they kinda got a short swingarm.....but tri5ron where did u get them powermadd handquards and mountingkit???cuz ive looked everywhere for them for my quad and i was surprised ebay didnt have em!!!

It is true that the 250EX has a short wheelbase, and can be a little "Tippy" as a result of that.

Although I have not put them on yet,... I will be going to a 20" rear tire with a much flatter profile, to minimize that tendancy. it will probably be the Turf Tamers, like what are currently on my 400EX.
(I am actually going to be installing some adapters on my daughters trx90, and swaping the rears off of my 400EX, onto her trx90, for the same reasons)...(then I'll be getting some Knarlys, or GNCC Holeshots for mine)

I do know of a member here, who fabricated a +6" swinger for their 250EX, and I have been in contact with him about fabbing one for my wifes quad. I feel that the +6" is a little too much, and will be doing a 3" to 4" extension on hers, sometime in the future.

The Powermadds I did get off of ebay, but it took a little time to find them. My best suggestion would be to make a "Favorites search", and title it "250EX Powermadds".
That way, you will recieve an email anytime that a seller posts a set up, without you having to do a daily search for them.

JM .02 cents worth....

07-19-2009, 01:16 PM
how much will this person sell a 6" longer swingarm???and i think i read the thread on that and the under 350cc forum and then 250ex subforum right?

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
how much will this person sell a 6" longer swingarm???and i think i read the thread on that and the under 350cc forum and then 250ex subforum right?
So as not to Hijack this thread from the OP's original intent, I'll pm you what I know so far.
and now,....

"Back to our regularly scheduled programming..." :D

exrider12
07-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Hand guards and there mounts are universal... All of them excpet maier. And powermadds with mounts are around $50.

So you can buy any handgaurds with mounts and they will fit.. you dont need specific ones for your 250ex.

07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
k thanks exrider but tri5ron thank u for goin to the trouble to help me out lol

tri5ron
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
k thanks exrider but tri5ron thank u for goin to the trouble to help me out lol no problem, That's what we as members do here for each other.