PDA

View Full Version : Getting into racing any help is appreciated

TRX400EX119
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey All!!! I am thinking about getting a 2003 Honda 400ex and was wondering what I should check on it before I buy it? I am also wanting to start racing in motocross type races what would I need to do to the quad to get it race ready? I have been riding utility atvs since I was four but have little experience riding sport quads. I am seventeen and weigh 170-175. Help is always appreciated thanks.

matt14c
07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Well 400ex is a great starting ride but not if you want to get into racing. Especially if it is stock! You would really be putting yourself behind. Now the 400 can be built into a competitor but unless you already have one it would be cheaper to just get a 450. Depeding what is done to the quad you will want to check the compression, start it see if it smokes on start up and listen to the top end to make sure valves are correctly maintained. Look over the frame really well especially above the front shocks and behind the front bumper. Ask the owner what oil they ran and how often changed same with air filter care. If you do get one and it has alot of hours this winter you will want to change the timing chain and rear bearing carrier unless it has been done already. Now for racing you will DEFINITLY HAVE to change the front suspension. You will want to be wider for MX usually +2 or +3. Then get an extended axle. You will want atleast a 416 with a larger carb either 450r carb or FCR 39mm. Hot cams stage one or two. At least a slip on. Different air filter either Uni or KN. Smaller tires stronger rims. Nerf Bars. Plus alot of others that you dont have to have but usually people do them like handlebars, steering dampner, anti vibe stems. You will also want to stengthen the frame with gussets for sure. I have now broken 4 400ex frames. Hope this helps.

honda400ex2003
07-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Learn to ride any surface, turning, braking into hard turns, the generals there you know. Get a nice susp. on the 400 and get a bit more power out of it. Keep riding and practicing. get jumping down and make sure you can get it to pitch how you want for smooth landings and such. good luck steve

EXinMB
07-18-2009, 01:36 PM
i raced my 400ex bone stock in my first race and i didn't do to bad. drag racing is all about machine and less about rider in my opinion. mx is more about the rider. ive seen kids on a cr85 racing against 250f's and winning. I beat a banshee and a 450 in my first race and was a few seconds behind the other 2 450s in my class. after that i did lots of motor mods making mine a 440 with pipe and all that stuff and i never did any suspension. worst mistake ever for a race quad. If your serious about racing do suspension stuff first then motor or get a pipe and intake mods first but it doesn help goin fast if you can't controll it. thats my opinion for getting the quad ready for racing.
as for getting yourself ready do lots of riding. jump everything. you gotta know what ur machine is gonna do everytime you hit a jump or braking bump and if it goes one way and you wanna go the other you gotta know how to correct that mid air. just start off small and work your way up to the big stuff. and when your at the track practising dont just work on the jumps or just the corners work on the whole track and just build up your endurance. i raced a guy that could only do 2 laps and had to pull off cuz he rode so hard in those 2 laps he couldn finish a race. and practise starts if you get ahead right away it makes it a lot easier. everyones different this is just my opinion maybe someone else has better advice but i always learn by doin,

TRX400EX119
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks I will keep that in mind when
I go look at it again I do know that it has a white bros e series with 11 inch wide rear tires and its been widened out 5 inch's I think also what 450s should I be looking for if I don't get the 400ex???

matt14c
07-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Widened out 5 inches? The KTM is probably the baddest 450 out right now in my opinion but you prolly couldnt find one for less than $6k USED. THe best used deals I would think would have to be the Honda 450R or Yam. YFZ450.