PDA

View Full Version : '86 Cases with '89 Kickstarter Shaft???

gandgracing
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
They dont seem to be working together. I got the kickstarter assembly on but when I put on the clutch basket it hits the kick gear pretty good and the outside clutch cover will not go on. Do I need an '86 kick starter assembly?

revman
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
when you put the clutch cover on it hits the gear? is there a spacer on the shaft? if there is remove it and your cover should go on. the cover you have should have a deeper spacer casted into the cover to keep the gear in place. hope it helps

All250R
07-17-2009, 06:44 PM
The 86 clutch cover requires a metal collar on the kickstart shaft. In 88 they integrated the collar with the aluminum cover eliminating the steel collar. I don't know if the metal collar required for the 86 clutch cover can fit onto the 88 kick shaft. The part numbers for the kick shafts are different.

gandgracing
07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Figured out the collar on the shaft. Its more of the clutch basket gear on the back rubbing to hard on the kickstarter gear. And the gears dont line up that well. Also noticed that from '86 to '89 the shaft part #'s are different.

kess
07-18-2009, 10:13 AM
When you put the kick start shaft back in did you be sure to line the timing marks up. There is a "L" on the back side of the large gear, and a "L" on the "spring loaded throw gear". These must be lined up.

As for the grinding......It sounds to me that it may be a gear grinding on the case itself not grinding on another gear. I had to machine my case a little for some clearence. As long as your gears are all seated in place, they will not bind up. Are you running a Stock clutch basket or a Hinson. If you are running a Hinson basket, I'm sure that it is binding on the side case. Mine was.

Also, you had mentioned that you have the spacer (collar) on the shaft all figured out, however that may be part of your problem....... The 86 REQUIRES that collar there to keep the kick gear from walking out, and that would make the gear bind up. The 88 and 89 WILL NOT require that collar becuse its machined into the side case. You may need to machine the collar.............Good Luck