PDA

View Full Version : best yfz 450 year (includin the r)

yfzwannabe
07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
hi there guys just joined yesterday and im wondering wat the best yfz is for me, im 6"3' btw and i just love yamaha bikes, i know if i go for early bikes theres allot of probs with axle strength n bogging down because of no uel injetion but the new 09 are dead expensive n there not out in scotland as far aa im aware :( im also a member of yfz central n they didnt really help cause they all said after a few mods there all pretty similar but i dnt want to mod my future yfz other than an exhaust and rejetting because of the exhaust. thanx for reading guys n gals

yfzrider690
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
The best year to get is a '07 or newer. That's the year that they did the most changes to the quad. I am also a member of yfzcentral and they are right. After a few mods they are pretty similar. I don't know exactly what you are looking for.

Ride1Rob
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
The best year to get is a '07 or newer. That's the year that they did the most changes to the quad. I am also a member of yfzcentral and they are right. After a few mods they are pretty similar. I don't know exactly what you are looking for.

+2

yfzwannabe
07-17-2009, 03:22 PM
well i used to do allot of ridin down a dirt track n we added a bit for mx like little table topps n stuff but i dnt anymore cause am to big for my 250, also because two of my mates of got ltr's n its just no fun cyin them dissappear into the distance lol or atleast one off em does the other stall his all the time and never gives it gas in the straights lol i just want a quad that doesnt need allot dun to it but still goes like a bat outa hell n that i actually fit on lol cause the 250 just gettin slower cause of my size you now wat i mean? n thanx for the quick rep btw;)

yfzrider690
07-17-2009, 03:53 PM
If you want something that runs like a raped ape than get a yfz and put a pipe and filter on it and you will be very happy. Your buddies will want to get rid of there ltr's.

yfzwannabe
07-17-2009, 03:56 PM
raped ape thats a first lol yeh too rit yfz's rule!!!!! btw wat do you think of the r?

Pack
07-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Never been on an LTR, but I have been on YFZs, KFXs, TRXs, and Raptors.

YFZ is just, the bike to get. I have an '07, and am FAR from disappointed.

#17YFZRACER
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
since your a bigger guy you would like the R imo. the ergos are nice for a taller guy. im 6ft 170lbs and i feel way better on it than my 07. the front fenders are moved up so you dont hit your knees on them when your hanging off the inside of the bike. that and the handling is way better imo but everyone likes something different. thomas brown likes the handling of the R but pat has brackets that he runs on the A-arms of his race bikes that move the mount points to bring the handling back to kinda what the old yfz felt like cuz thats what he likes. just see if you can ride one of both and base your decision on that. good luck

yfzwannabe
07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
i see ur point thanx m8

JR3
07-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
since your a bigger guy you would like the R imo. the ergos are nice for a taller guy. im 6ft 170lbs and i feel way better on it than my 07. the front fenders are moved up so you dont hit your knees on them when your hanging off the inside of the bike. that and the handling is way better imo but everyone likes something different. thomas brown likes the handling of the R but pat has brackets that he runs on the A-arms of his race bikes that move the mount points to bring the handling back to kinda what the old yfz felt like cuz thats what he likes. just see if you can ride one of both and base your decision on that. good luck

thats how i feel also my r was a little bit more spacey then my yfz but im a short guy so i love how i guess the word would be compact my yfz is can mov this thing anywhere i want in the air

cool 300ex
07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690

I always thought that 06 was the year they did all the changes.

Ride1Rob
07-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I finally had my chance to ride an 09 YFZR today. Actually, two of them. One stock with the pee shooter still in the stock exhaust and the other had a Curtis Sparks exhaust with the programmer. I had been hearing that the stock YFZR handled better than most fully modded YFZ out there and didn't believe it. Well now I do! I felt better jumping this bike my first few times in the air than I ever have on my own fully modded YFZ. This bike really handles well and as soon as I kicked my leg over the seat and took off I felt really comfortable on it. The only drawback on the handling that I didn't like is it needs a stabilizer. BAD!!!! Now for the motor... The stock R was actually better than I expected. I really felt the bike performed pretty good to still have the pea shooter in place. Smooth throttle delivery and there was no bog or hesitation at all. Then I rode the other R with the mods. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED THE WAY THIS BIKE RAN. Honestly, I really didn't feel much of a difference with the mods to this R to the completely stock one. It's going to be very challenging to find good hp out of this bike without purchasing the GYTR race head. It's a shame that Yamaha has taken a bike that handles so Awsome and given it a powerplant that can only be awakened by purchasing their head for $2,000. If this bike had the bottom end umph of the original YFZ or the motors were at least interchangeable I surely would be getting one and selling my 04 with the 09R motor just to recoup some of the money. With that being said I'd say the 08 YFZ is the best bang for the buck right now in terms of getting a YFZ.

yfzwannabe
07-18-2009, 06:21 PM
yeh but wat about puttin a 13 tooth bit on it rather than a 12 tooth that not solve low end?

Ride1Rob
07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
If the stock front sprocket is a 12 then going up to a 13 will take away even more bottom end. You have to go down on the front for more bottom end hit.

yfzwannabe
07-19-2009, 06:28 AM
ah ryt soz man a thought that would help so if you could you should drop to an eleven tooth sprocket, can u actually get an eleven tooth sprocket? never heard of that one

450rJam
07-19-2009, 06:50 AM
you dont want to run less than a 12 tooth, the chain angle puts alot more stress on everything.
(3 in rear = 1 in front)

'06 is the year bumped displacement, changed the seat etc.

I have not rode the yfzr yet but I like the idea
(extra width from the factory like the ltr but without the problems of the 18" tires)

I have an '06 yfz and an '06 trx, I love my yamaha but if your a big guy you need to ride the honda also

if your brand loyal to yamaha you can always extend stem and relocate pegs

BrettOaktree
07-19-2009, 02:25 PM
im a bigger guy and i love my 08 yfz

Seed
07-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Do NOT buy the new R the frame is all cast aluminum which is junk!!! The thing with cast alumnum it does not bend. So a harsh landing will cause a complete break of the frame and once its broke you have to buy a whole new one cant fix it by welding it and putting some gussets in. Here this picture should explain it.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403775
Back to the drawing board for you yamaha and quit trying to go cheap with a Cast Aluminum frames!!!!! Use a pure high grade aluminum if you are going to use Aluminum. Also the YFZ450R is having a bog with its EFI from idle which is hilarious with EFI. Revamp this too while you are at it Yamaha. Also yamaha put smaller cams in the new yfz450R making it very hard to get power out of the bike. Its just not up to my standards, too me they went cheap!!! get a older 07+ youll be more happier with it. All you need to do with them is add a pipe, intake, and do a cam mod and you have your self a fast bike that will last.

yfzwannabe
07-20-2009, 07:02 AM
how hard where u ridin to crack the frame ? could it just be a bad frame?

yfzrider690
07-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
I always thought that 06 was the year they did all the changes.

Nope, the '07's and up have the most changes to them. The biggest change is the oil squirter that keeps the cylinder lubed better. You can do this mod to any previous year but the '07 and newer ones come with it already done.

Franklin999
07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Seed
Do NOT buy the new R the frame is all cast aluminum which is junk!!! The thing with cast alumnum it does not bend. So a harsh landing will cause a complete break of the frame and once its broke you have to buy a whole new one cant fix it by welding it and putting some gussets in. Here this picture should explain it.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403775
Back to the drawing board for you yamaha and quit trying to go cheap with a Cast Aluminum frames!!!!! Use a pure high grade aluminum if you are going to use Aluminum. Also the YFZ450R is having a bog with its EFI from idle which is hilarious with EFI. Revamp this too while you are at it Yamaha. Also yamaha put smaller cams in the new yfz450R making it very hard to get power out of the bike. Its just not up to my standards, too me they went cheap!!! get a older 07+ youll be more happier with it. All you need to do with them is add a pipe, intake, and do a cam mod and you have your self a fast bike that will last.

Hey EVERY BIKE HAS ITS PROBLEMS i cracked the frame on my 04 yfz twice. i ride hard no problems yet with the frame on the 09R the power is fine to if yo know how to ride then power should not be a problem on any 450 i ride a can am and a 09 R and they feel the same to me in power actually the R feels a little faster on the bottum end go with what you want every bike has a price every bike has a problem every bike finds ways to spend your money.

stic
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah...every bike has its problems.
for the amount of money you'll spend on an 07 or newer,you could fix all the issues of the early models and have money left to mod it.
i got my 06 last yr for 3600,did the oil upgrade for 200 and found a new 07 axle on ebay for 35.everything else on there is personal preference.
the bog is now nonexistent thanks to my 35 leak jet,the zip-tie mod and the quickshot2