PDA

View Full Version : help

trx400 rider
07-17-2009, 08:42 AM
ok i no it not an atv but im rebuilding my dirt bike and i need to no how to take the cam chain of with out messing it up or messing the time.cause i cant take the top end off with out that off

Ride1Rob
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
There's no way you're gonna take the timing chain off without getting it out of time.

trx400 rider
07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
ok how do u time it and is it hard..

stic
07-17-2009, 10:54 AM
There's no way you're gonna take the timing chain off without getting it out of time.
if thats the case,how would you ever get it back in time when replacing chain?
make sure your at tdc.your cam mark should be at 9:00 or 3:00 depending on what bike you have.
there should be a mark on the cam itself and it should be at or just above the top of cylinder where it mates to the head.make sure you put the cam back in this position when reinstalling.

Ride1Rob
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by stic
if thats the case,how would you ever get it back in time when replacing chain?

You can't be serious are you? By resetting it back in time.

Anytime you remove the timing chain at least one of those cams will rotate alil or alot forward or backward and set it off time. The crank may not move, but it's almost guarranateed those cams will.

stic
07-18-2009, 07:53 AM
yes i am serious..this is why the cam is marked.
put the cam back in just as it came out.what is so difficult about this???

trx400 rider
07-18-2009, 08:06 AM
ok so in just line those two lines up with the motor. now do i have to set it from the bottom two if so how and thanks for the help.

yfzrider310
07-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I have read your post here and in the open forum. No ones going to help you if you aren't descriptive. Usually when people need help they write a huge paragraph about whats wrong and that helps people determine whats wrong. You should get a manual instead of coming here every step of the way. Or google it because im sure someone somewhere wrote how to rebuild a four stroke.

Ride1Rob
07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by stic
yes i am serious..this is why the cam is marked.
put the cam back in just as it came out.what is so difficult about this???

You have me completely lost! His post is asking if there's any way to remove the timing chain without messing up the time. The anwer is NO! If the timing chain is removed he'll have to reset the time and make sure everything is ligned up properly. Once again his original post is, IS THERE ANWAY TO REMOVE THE TIMING CHAIN WITHOUT MESSING UP THE TIME?

trx400 rider
07-18-2009, 11:22 PM
ok im sorry about taking up your time... and some of you hate that i ask so many qestion but we all have to learn some time. ok so i had the top lines lined up but it still anit timed right so do i have to adjust it from the bottom of thed engine

stic
07-19-2009, 07:33 PM
R1R-
ok...if thats the question at hand then yes...youre correct and i apologize...
but....you can take the chain off and not mess up the timing if everything goes back the way it was.
if not,you will have to reset the time.
trx-you really need a manual or utilize the net.like yfzrider said,noones gonna walk you through a rebuild.we'll help when we can and yes...everyone starts somewhere but you can also help yourself with the tools at hand.
you did make sure you were at TDC before starting your project,right?if you are at tdc then it should all be up top.am i correct?

trx400 rider
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
ok i put the motor back together and it wouldnt start up intill like 20 trys, then i turn it off and tryed again and no start i think i still have the timing wrong. ok i lined the lines up with the top of the motor but i think i have to line somthing up with the bottom correct. it is a 2007 crf230f.if i do can you tell me what to do this is the last thing till my bike is up and running...:) :D

trx400 rider
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
ok i got it and it runs great

stic
07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
so what did ya do to get it runnin?

trx400 rider
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
i put the piston to the top wen i timed it lol