PDA

View Full Version : Will this fit the 300???

BM@Ronayers
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CFM-Aluminum-Airbox-Air-Box-Intake-Honda-TRX400EX-400EX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q 2em14QQhashZitem5881c21abaQQitemZ380134103738QQptZ MotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

IRISH-RACER-14
07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
get the width of it...it will work if its not 2 wide

ZSNOW
07-18-2009, 11:11 AM
chances are its too long also

dirtdawg
07-18-2009, 11:38 AM
i think its a waste. the one that comes with it works perfectly fine:)

IRISH-RACER-14
07-19-2009, 05:10 AM
ya just get a power lid for ur stock box..

rooster300ex
07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by dirtdawg
i think its a waste. the one that comes with it works perfectly fine:)

It relocates the battery too. Thats prolly why it wants to know if it would work for a 300ex

dirtdawg
07-19-2009, 04:42 PM
i can understand that from the cosmetic approach, but it is fine functionally. you might be able to find a stock airbox from another machine that is bigger and can fit the battery. or just spend 90 plus on the box on ebay. if i was him, i'd save the money for something performance related.

dirtdawg
07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
this has me thinking now. you could attach another compartment to the back of the original airbox with bolts and washers and stick the battery in there. or, you could move the wire mounting thing and bend the structure so the holes would screw into the frame rails behinfd the airbox. i'm gonna do this mod the cheap way and maybe do a thread on it. you could find a metal box and use hose clamps to attach it to the frame without crilling. just make slits in the side of the box.

dirtdawg
07-19-2009, 05:21 PM
here's what i found: you can mount the cage for the battery on the back of your airbox. just drill the three holes and get some bolts and washers. but, you need to get a longer positive cable so it can reach the new location of the battery. that is much cheaper than the box on ebay. my 250ex has a long positive cable and they are the same gauge wire, so maybe get one of them and it will work. i'm gonna see if there are some used on ebay. other than that, it is pretty straightforward. you have to put the plastic box in the cage and the battery in the plastic box before you attach it to the back of the airbox cuz there will not be enough room to fit the battery in through the top. i will post pics of what i'm talkig about soon. also, the ground or negative cable needs to be relocated to the frame side of the latch for the plastic, which is the last piece of frame and it is parallel to the grab bar. pictures will help clarify.

dirtdawg
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
just did it today:). works great. it cost me JUST over 10 bucks for everything i needed. i just lined up the cage to the airbox, made marks w/ a sharpie and drilled the holes. then, i went to the hardware store and got 3 3/8 bolts w/ locknuts. i had washers at home so i put the cage up to the back of the airbox, slipped the bolts in t6he holes. i put the washers on the other side before the locknuts and they fit perfect. i put the little plastic box in the cage, put the battery in and then mounted it back on the quad. before i could get it functioning again, i went to napa and got 2 feet of 4 gauge battery cable. i got the connectors and crimped them on using vice grips. i relocated the negative cable ground to the seat latch bolt in between the rubber grommets for the seat on the frame. i turned the key and the green light came on without any sparking or problems. the only problem is the taillight because it was hitting th positive cable and making sparks. now i need to remount that somewhere, but my taillight is not the stock setup so maybe it won't matter for people who have a stock setup. i'm gonna do a formal thread on this but maybe other people wanted to read this info. and didn't want to wait. i'm gonna do it right now though anyway.

IRISH-RACER-14
07-21-2009, 04:35 AM
show some pics

ZSNOW
07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
I think this will work ok for a while, but the airbox isn't made to support that much weight..definatley won't hold up in a motocross environment.

BM@Ronayers
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I do not much like jumping my 300 to much anyways. I am in the woods 95% of the time.

dirtdawg
07-21-2009, 01:28 PM
i made another thread yesterday in the 300ex forum.

dirtdawg
07-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Anyway, if you got a grade 8 bolt and put it in the tab mount on the backside then it would work. That small bolt will probably snap. Don't racers change to kick-start anyway though to take some weight off? If you race you have more money available so you could probably just buy the aluminum box. it works for me so far, but i might end up changing that little bolt. look at the thread before you jump to any conclusions though.

BM@Ronayers
07-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I just saw that a little bit ago. I will have to take a look at it in a bit. Would it be possible for you to email me the finished product picture? I am on a comp that will not let me see the pics in the thread. My email is Bmedlin85@yahoo if ya could. Thanks

dirtdawg
07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
email sent.

BM@Ronayers
07-21-2009, 02:03 PM
If you race you have more money available so you could probably just buy the aluminum box.

Haha, yeah I do not race and do not have hardly any money.