PDA

View Full Version : Melted clutch cable

Tommy Warren
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
my buddy has a z400 and it was idling in the back of his truck when the rubber on the clutch cable melted and started smoking. I checked all the grounds with no result and I'm stumped on this one. anybody have an idea or maybe this is a common problem I dunno help us out?

ifixtheyride
07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
If your suggesting the cable came in contact with voltage and got hot enough to melt the insulation there is only one source that could do that and its the battery voltage no way anywhere else it would blow a fuse or burn a smaller wire open. The hot lead to the starter is only place. You weren't parked near some high powered TV or radio transmitter were ya? The cable then acted like an antenna and got hot enough to melt I think only in the twighlight zone that happens though Ha Ha. I would say that is not common!

Tommy Warren
07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
well he just installed one of those speedometer computer maybe when he changed the ignition location something grounded out? is that possible?

airmobile101
07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I had a similar issue with my kill switch, long story short, the kill switch went defective and was touching my clutch perch. One side of the kill switch was aluminum, I ended up frying most of my plastic cover off my steel braided brake lines(front). Hook a test light up and start poking.

Tommy Warren
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Kill switch....got it I'll check that next time I'm over there thanks dude!