PDA

View Full Version : can anyone figure this shock ? out

raptorobbie
07-16-2009, 08:07 AM
ok here's my problem: this is an 06 TLD Predator 500 stock shocks:

When I pick the front end of the bike up the right side shock does not move or "let out" like the left side does. I removed the shock from the top mount and the a-arm goes thru its range of motion just fine - although the upper ball joint does appear to be a little loose.

When I get a chance I want to swap the shocks from side to side to make sure it is a problem w/ the shock and not the a-arm.

Is there a setting on the shock that needs changed? All the settings appear to be the same on both shocks right now.

Also, how do I replace the upper ball joint? what's involved - any special tools?

Thanks!!

Colby@C&DRacing
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
That shock needs rebuild it sounds like it has lost it's charge or it has something stuck in the bleed hole.

raptorobbie
07-16-2009, 09:03 AM
ok - more info

when the bike is sitting on the ground and I press down on the front end, both shocks appear to compress and rebound just fine.

GE4x4
07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
To really see, take both shocks off and lay on the floor. If you have to different length's, then you will need rebuilt like Colby said.

raptorobbie
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
YEP, just did that and they're real real close to being the same.

So, I swapped them from side to side and the same thing happened on the same side that was bad b4. So, its not the shock! Thank God!

Someone suggested a bad ball joint and sure enough the top one is definitely loose - it just doesnt seem like that would bind up the a-arms that bad though.... With the front end up in the air and all my 200#s on the tire, I cant get that side to budge and go down at all. Would taking the top a-arm off prove it one way or another?