PDA

View Full Version : My ESR350PV

SuperSherman
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
The thing looks good, and pulled really nice for an unported pump gas setup, but about 4 gallons of fuel through the ride, at WOT in 6th it siezed. Not just the exhaust side, but all the way around the piston. I called and they told me it was a lean siezure because I had the midrange needle in the center position and it needed to be in the 4th. I'm no idiot, but doesn't lean siezure just sieze the exhaust?

1promodfan
07-16-2009, 05:49 AM
You need to talk to Eddie himself. I would think that he would make it right. Sorry to hear about that.......:confused:

05LSR250R
07-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I woulda threw up in my helmet! Thats terrible to hear!

addictedtomud
07-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear this happened to you, it could happen to any of us!
But why would this be ESR's fault? Did ESR build the entire motor (from air filter to silencer), jet it for a certain altitude and riding conditions, and guarantee the results? Why would Eddie need to "make it right?"

Saleenster
07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Running 6th gear WOT is always risky when you have a big bore IMO...jetting is usally set in the 2nd to 4th gear range, 5th can be dice eee, and running 6th is just scary...From my experience, you can jet for 1-4 or jet for WOT which will cause the bike to run very rich in the lower gears....

Good luck on getting support from ESR...been there done that, will never run one of their POS cylinders again!!

hondamancbr03
07-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by SuperSherman
The thing looks good, and pulled really nice for an unported pump gas setup, but about 4 gallons of fuel through the ride, at WOT in 6th it siezed.

Was the motor fresh and that was the first 4 gallons? If so, the tolerances on the bore would still be fresh which makes it more likely to stick at full throttle....I've seen this before, and some times you can let the bike set and after it cools down the piston will release from the cylinder wall. I would still have it bored but i have seen people get the rest of the season out of the top end.

Sorry to hear it....

1promodfan
07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by addictedtomud
Sorry to hear this happened to you, it could happen to any of us!
But why would this be ESR's fault? Did ESR build the entire motor (from air filter to silencer), jet it for a certain altitude and riding conditions, and guarantee the results? Why would Eddie need to "make it right?"

Why not???!!! I've dealt enough with Eddie, and he has always been helpful to me. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. And I didn't read where anyone said it was ESR's fault. So, I say AGAIN... call ESR and talk to Eddie.:blah:

zedicus00
07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
needle should always be close to the middle clip. if its in either extreme then you need a different needle.

if properly jetted you should be able to run WOT, even in six gear. ive never had any problems doing so. and not be overly rich in the middle

ive seen it being more dificult to jet unported top ends then ported ones. and depending on your break in procedure 4 gallons of gas should be enough for propper break in. i usually run a full 5 gallons through it just to be safe.

i would def call ESR, talk to them for a while about your set up. talk to them about your current build and other builds youve done (your using this time to prove to them that you know what you are talking about, this is a MAJOR deal) then hit them up for a good deal on a new piston.

hondamancbr03
07-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Not to drag out the jetting debate but needle position has nothing to do with WOT...Check any and all jetting charts and you will see where the needle leaves off and the main takes over.

And for running the middle position on the clip.....I'll have to talk to Arlen with LED, all this time he's gave me bad info by telling me to run 4th to 5th clip down depending on conditions and that's on my Pro-x 350PV....Damn him, i want my money back!

hang1p
07-17-2009, 02:13 AM
i have had a 4 corner sieze like that it was during ice racing and we blamed it on not being warmed up enough before beating on it. I had this happen three times that year before I had to rebuild just got some one to pull me and popped the clutch and it broke free.

SuperSherman
07-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I hope to talk to Eddie himself, because it's pretty obvious that it's either a cold siezure(I was almost 160 degrees according to an ESR guage) or tight bore. The thing was fat enuph that the carbon on top of the piston was only silver dollar sized, and I was running their reccommended main jet.
I did almost barf in my helmet by the way. Finally got the dream cylinder and that happens...

SuperSherman
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
They finally got my cylinder, and when I talked to them they said they would cut me a deal on the hone that they already did. I told them I could do that part, what they really did was get rid of evidence. They score marks on the cylinder were all the way around it. After I told them I knew better about what a lean siezure looks like, they told me that their pump gas dome was not made for big tires or paddles and that was what did it. Have any of you ever heard of dome size causing failure because of tires?

Honda 250r 001
07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Saleenster
Running 6th gear WOT is always risky when you have a big bore IMO...

i dont agree with that. I have never had a problem. NEVER. ive only had one big bore motor though.

headache
07-22-2009, 01:21 PM
they told me that their pump gas dome was not made for big tires or paddles and that was what did it. Have any of you ever heard of dome size causing failure because of tires? [/B]

Thats the craziest S**t i've ever hear of!

destey
07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/gen_tuning.gif

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't it be the mainjet at WOT?

What oil ratio about did it have in the premix? How long did you let it warm up and what was the air temp? 160 doesn't seem warm enough to be going to WOT

hondamancbr03
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Saleenster
Running 6th gear WOT is always risky when you have a big bore IMO...jetting is usally set in the 2nd to 4th gear range, 5th can be dice eee, and running 6th is just scary...From my experience, you can jet for 1-4 or jet for WOT which will cause the bike to run very rich in the lower gears....

Jetting is set for throttle position not gearing....Gearing is set by tire size or tire size by gearing. When jetting is set up correctly WOT is the same in every gear at every speed. One thing to caculate in is compression ratio...With a two stroke the compression rises as the RPM's increase, that can cause the piston to stick at WOT if the gas doesn't meet the compression requirements.

SuperSherman
07-22-2009, 11:13 PM
My temp guage is on the lower hose, 32:1 castor927. Half a tank of ride time. Even not having proper octane won't cause the piston to swell into the cylinder and there was absolutely no signs of detonation.

headache
07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I'd say that the problem was that the piston/bore clearance was too tight...

hondamancbr03
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by SuperSherman
Even not having proper octane won't cause the piston to swell into the cylinder.

I think you need to do your homework on cause and affect of pre-detonation.....

C41Xracer
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by destey
[B]http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/gen_tuning.gif

i could run my duncan 265 WOT all day long but i was using a 39mm lectron carb and a power jet(like the note says in the pic)

redryder310
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
I think you need to do your homework on cause and affect of pre-detonation.....

Except he said there were no signs of det. No det means no octane problem.

I saw the piston, nice color, not lean. It's a load of bs about tires and needle position as excuses. They're just reaching, and since he was running their reccommended main, they can't even try to blame it on that.