PDA

View Full Version : Problem With starter solenoid

hondaman23
07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I just replaced my starter solenoid about a month ago and it just went again.What could it be my wiring? please help

ezdaar
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I was having non stop problems with my solinoid. The start button just was not passing enough amp's through it to full engauge the solinoid. (This can also cause the solinoid to burn out)
I tried swapping to smaller, larger and some from various motorcycles.

I ended up with a old school yamaha solinoid on it thats rebuildable. That worked for awhile, until it finnaly just stopped working..

Yess I charged and finnaly swapped in a new battery. NONE of it worked. I would get stranded in the woods with a fully charged batt, but could not start my 300.

So the final solution was to wire in a aftermarket automotive 40amp relay to my start button that would send power to the 300 starter solinoid Via a 10 gauge wire directly from the battery to the starter solinoid to the starter motor.

This solved EVERYTHING! I can now start my 300 even when my battery is at 9 volts!

As for you burning them out.. That is a starter problem causing the solinoid to burn. Its is drawing to mutch amperage for the solinoid to handle.

Pull your starter, open it up and clean it, use a pencil eraser to clean the comm and some 2000 grit wet sand paper to GENTLY surface the brushes (The curved side that makes contact with the comm).

Clean its copper bushings and polish them with mothers mag polish along with the stator surfaces where it contacts the bushings.

Grease it up with some high temp water proof silicone based grease. just KEEP THAT COMM AND BRUSHES CLEAN!

If the brushes have sharp edges where they wrap around the comm. take a fine flat file and put a 1-2 millimeter 45* chamfer on the edges.

This wil reduce drag on the comm and reduces sparking which causes excess comm and brush wear due to electrical short debris. Im shure someone knows the term I "should" have used to describe the crap that comes off the brush and comm as they wear.

Also use a nylon bristle brush to LIGHTLY scrubb the wire winds. LIGHTLY!!!!! DONOT remove any of the coating. you want to just remove the dust from the wire winds. That dust acts as insulation and causes the stator to heat up immensly.

This is the technique we use in RC cars to clean their electric motors.

GL.

hondaman23
07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks soo much i will be taking a look at it soon and fixing it thanks alot

jayjie15
07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
After all the problems I had with my key, I ditched it also in favor of a normal switch as well. I drilled small hole in front fender and mounted it there. Works a million times better and solved my no spark issue. You can also start the bike in gear as well.