PDA

View Full Version : TRX-R Cannondale Mock up Hybrid

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I started this project a little while ago and started working on it again. Show you the build as I go. This is only mock up so nothing is perfect yet. When everything is mounted it will be taken back apart and everything powdercoated or rebuilt/polished.

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:36 PM
more

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:36 PM
My Tig welding is getting better, I'm new to the process. I have about a month under my belt. Getting there though

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
The engine mounts are not done yet, I will machine them more to make them look more custom. Next will be some billet blocks welded down, and then I will bolt the motor mounts to them. I am trying to keep the mounts tight so I have more room for the expansion chamber when I do the pipe.

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
A few pics of my shop

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Another shot

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
work bench area

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Last one of the shop

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
CR250 hybrid

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Side shot

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Another engine shot

outacontrol
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
sweet quad, nice job

MotoX_Racer07
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks man, just takes a lot of time. Its a whole re-engineering process. Trial and error. Just like building hot rods. This latest build will take some time. Just cutting off all the old mounts on the chassis will take a few hours. But its fun thats for sure. The TRX motor is way more in depth then the CR motor. So much more work. The pipe is going to be big balls theres no doubt. I had to completely cut out the shock mount also. Just need the room for the carb. I built a jig off the old one so I will just build from that around the carb. I am going to try to do a little everyday so I can get it done. I got laid off from GE transportation so I have the time now. I should be starting my own business now that I have my shop running. But I got all this stuff because its my hobby, Hate to make it a job, but I'll see what happens.

concise
07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
nice work , killer shop area:cool:

if/when you decide to make it into your job its gonna be hard to still have fun doing it .Unless of course you have high paying customers , that always makes the job a bit more fun:D

btw how do you start the cr250 one ??? no kicker on it , do you pull/bump start it? i noticed on the new build that you clearanced the frame for the kicker. Very nice work non the less , you have skills. :)

MotoX_Racer07
07-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Well you need to look again, there is a kickstart there. Its probably blending with all the other bling lol C'mon be more observent. Appreciate the comments on my skills, I am actually fairly new to this. The first build my friend helped me on, he has a shop also. Thats who taught me how to run all the equipment. Then I had to have my own place so I bought out a retired machinists shop. Its been two years now since I've owned the stuff, just took me time to frame in the shop area and get everything how I wanted it (I am a meticulous person as you can see) So now I can finally build custom quads. I've restored classis chevy trucks so as far as that goes I had a mind for mechanics and metal fab already. @ 27 years old now I feel I've done pretty well, But its always a learning process.

dehner47
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
very nice shop bro. looks like you can build whatever you want in there:D

headache
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Very nice shop indeed! I'm a machinist myself, i wish i had atleast a lathe and mill in my garage so i wouldn't have to sneak everything in to work lol. Oh and sweet quad too!

C41Xracer
07-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by headache
Very nice shop indeed! I'm a machinist myself, i wish i had atleast a lathe and mill in my garage so i wouldn't have to sneak everything in to work lol. Oh and sweet quad too!

Im a machinist my self and i feel your pain, i have to take stuff to work also. Moto your shop is killer and you do nice work

Tommy Warren
07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
LOL had to stare at that 250 for five minutes before I found the kicker LOL its one of those things where you look harder than you should!!! nice quads and nice setup!!!

MotoX_Racer07
07-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Front mount done

MotoX_Racer07
07-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Other side

MotoX_Racer07
07-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey appreciate all the nice comments. I by no means think I'm a pro. Still a lot to learn, but as with anything when your around it you pick things up as you go. My Tig welder is getting pushed to the max thats for sure. It only rated for 3/16" max. I've been preheating the parts just so I can get it to puddle. But it is getting the job done, wish I would of spend the extra 800 bucks now for the next step up. Maybe in my wealthier future lol

jcs003
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
will there be any weight savings with the dale chassis? im doing a 400ex/250r hybrid (have a thread in here) and the frame is about 15lbs lighter then therR frame.

MotoX_Racer07
07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I have no clue actually, just doing it for the fun of it. The CR conversion weighs 345 wet Thats using bathroom scales so I dunno how acurate that is.

concise
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by MotoX_Racer07
Well you need to look again, there is a kickstart there. Its probably blending with all the other bling lol C'mon be more observent. Appreciate the comments on my skills, I am actually fairly new to this. The first build my friend helped me on, he has a shop also. Thats who taught me how to run all the equipment. Then I had to have my own place so I bought out a retired machinists shop. Its been two years now since I've owned the stuff, just took me time to frame in the shop area and get everything how I wanted it (I am a meticulous person as you can see) So now I can finally build custom quads. I've restored classis chevy trucks so as far as that goes I had a mind for mechanics and metal fab already. @ 27 years old now I feel I've done pretty well, But its always a learning process.

wow i must have been pretty tired last night when i posted , cause now i see the kicker clear as day:o

woodsracer144
07-16-2009, 09:25 PM
more

how does the frame look with the rail cut? i was thinkin about doing this with a trx motor as well.. the dale chassis were really suprer cheap! hows the CR dale handle and run? does it have much for vib. problems?

MotoX_Racer07
07-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Well the frame is hollow looking now, I am going to cut a 1/4" plate and fill the gap kinda like a sandwich. Weld it all solid and strength should be no issue. Let me advise you though this isn't something you can throw together without the right tools. Its more in depth then you think. CR quad runs sweet, handles like its on rails. I rode it for two years MX before I finished it. Just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. It held up great, Went through three air box designs before I found one that worked. The brake caliper kept smashing it off huge jumps. Vibration issues were solved, its all in how everything is mounted. Took some time, trial and error. Try something different until the problem is fixed.

woodsracer144
07-17-2009, 10:51 AM
yeah i know theres alot of work that goes in to these... i had a 400ex 400f hybred once.... so once you get this all done and every things and have some time... would you be willing to hook me up with the cradle set up that you made... are you running the trx pipe or a atc or a cr?

907Rider
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
beautiful:eek: lots of time spent on it and it shows! kick a** bro, way to rep the 2strokes!

MotoX_Racer07
07-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Well for one, the cradle is a build as you go, I never made a Jig for it. I just did a lot of measuring and one mount at
a time. Its time consuming. First is getting the motor mounted straight and aligned with the rear sprocket. I can't stand when people do a hybrid and the motor is crooked. Then you just have to basically make a mount at a time. I use cardboard to mock up the design, then trace it on to whatever material I'm using. Make up the mount weld it in place and move to the next thing. The other problem is the shock mount needs cut out for carb clearance. Probably going to have to cut the intake also and tilt the carb. I'm not quite there yet, but its problem after problem on the TRX motor. But thats the fun of it. The Expansion chamber is going to be the hardest. I am going to pick up an ATC pipe and try it. When I get to it I will worry then. But like I said I'm not even that far yet so I will figure it out when I get there. A metal honda chassis is a simple job to me, so much room and metal is easier to work with. A day and I could get any motor in a 250R geometry frame. But Aluminum is just more enjoyable to work with, and the Cannondale frames are just so strong. I've never been able to break one. Swingarms yes but the Chassis is the strongest out there in my opinion.

MotoX_Racer07
07-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Did a little more

MotoX_Racer07
07-18-2009, 10:06 AM
other side

250x_kyle
07-18-2009, 10:53 AM
other side

were you out of gas on the tig weld on that mount? if not it looks like it was a tid bit hot.

you sir have my dream garage though lol. im going to school for cnc machining with a little injection molding but hope to do manual machining as a hobby out of my garage some day.

Motofool250r
07-18-2009, 11:12 AM
agreed a bit hot,

but hey id say hes doing well ima Welding inspector and machinist inspector and specialize in automated UT and the welders i inspect cant make welds that purdy

looks like you got a good start, you have what i want to be doing in a couple years, a few machines but enough to make anything you want maybe not assembly line style but the tools to fabricate whatever the mind dreams up.

classy work on both bikes, and the cr250 looks factory man.

MotoX_Racer07
07-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah the problem is my Tig welder is getting pushed more then its designed for. 165 AMP max. So it takes a lot of preheating just to get it to puddle. Plus I am new to Tig welding Aluminum. I am a complete amateur I admit, but practice makes perfect. I am learning, but I am doing alright for a beginner.

250x_kyle
07-19-2009, 10:01 AM
your doing great for a beginner most of the people ive been around just learning look like they stuck something together with bubble gum.

baker420ex
07-20-2009, 09:39 AM
good work on the quad man.
sorry to hear about the lay off. bold move turning a hobby into your job, hope that works out for you.
beautiful shop, very respectable. you shouldn't have any problems finding success with atv's and custom atv's.

Motofool250r
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah the problem is my Tig welder is getting pushed more then its designed for. 165 AMP max. So it takes a lot of preheating just to get it to puddle. Plus I am new to Tig welding Aluminum. I am a complete amateur I admit, but practice makes perfect. I am learning, but I am doing alright for a beginner.

what welder are you usging? aircooled torch i assume?

your doing great i work with welders with 20 years experience with arc welding that cant tig.

how are the vibrations on the cr250 swap did you have the motor balanced at all?

MotoX_Racer07
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Well the welder is basically for a beginner, its the Miller Diversion 165. I know I should of spent the extra jing but at the time thats what I could afford. Its strickly a Tig machine 220 plug 165 amp air cooled torch. It still was 1400 bucks which is expensive to me. It works excellent on Chromolly, I can tig metal really nice. Aluminum is a whole other thing due to the heat transfer difference. I am getting the hang of it though. I will step it up probably next year. I've fixed a few cases and it worked really well. I am working on a quick change clutch cover for a 250R also. As far as the CR250, yes vibration was an issue when I had a billet cradle, it was far to ridgid. Going to the tubular cradle made a huge difference and then the pipe was what solved everything. Every single pipe mount has to be rubber mounted or it will vibrate like crazy. 5 minutes and you have arm pump. Now though its non existent. Motor is not balanced either. No motor mounts cracked yet. Its an awesome quad to ride, it flat out rips. The gearing for the bike sucks, I'm running 13/42 with 18 inch tires and thats perfect for track use. In the open though it runs out of gears really fast. I don't regret doing it at all, great learning experience. The more time the better I get and the ideas just keep comming. I love this stuff.

woodsracer144
07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
not to jank this post or change the subject but i wanted to ask you how much you thought it cost to have a full mechine shop... im done with high school this year and im going to tech half time this year also and im goin for the welding and i though i would be come a mechinest and a buddys grambpa has a large mechine shop... hes got a huge mill lathe a masive drill press welders(mig only so far) and hes got some sort of funky gringer theres a table on it like a mill and its got a masive magnate(sp?) and you turn it on it holes the metal in place and then theres a grinding stone and you run it just like a mill... anyways hes gettin up in his age and im sure he will retires with in the next 5 years... and i was thinkin if he would sell the whole business that i would but him out... i would have to move everything to a new spot because its right at his house and stuff but how much would you say that would cost?

250Renvy
07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
You mentioned you were out of work and had more time to work on this stuff - I'm not sure what you have for milling machines or if you have a CNC to make any billet parts, but since you also mentioned making a quick change cover for a 250R, if it works out would you consider making a quick change cover for a Z400 for me (after you know how much time and what it might cost)

Ideally I'd like to either have the hinson cover for a 250R fit or a LTR450 cover or RMZ450 cover fit on it. I figure the Z400 cover would need the cover machined in a circle then a billet plate made and tig welded in then the cover just bolts to the adapter plate - just like the 250R quick change covers.

Motofool250r
07-20-2009, 11:08 AM
simple hand operated machines like a bridgeport mill can cost 30k each, lathes depends on how elaborate they are can be up above 100k each or moe a precision grinder for milling large surfaces flat aren't cheap either so if his machines are new or close to it could be a close to a million dollar or more investment. machinist tools are way expensive my friend.

its the experience running the machines thats even harder to get, and dont forget what a mechanic to fix old machines could cost

MotoX_Racer07
07-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah this Unemployment is a nice break, first i've ever been laid off, Economy really sucks right now. As far as the shop, the guy retired in 94 and it sat getting rusty in his garage for years. It was one of them small world stories as far as stumbling on this stuff. But I paid 10 grand for all of it. There was three bridgeports, K.O lee surface gringer, Cincinnati Mill, Two rockwell drill presses, two clausing lathes, Miller arc welder, very small compressor and a nice bench grinder. It came with all the tooling to, Tons of taps & dies, end mills, grinding wheels and whatever was in his shop. Cleaned it out wall to wall. He told me he couldn't get anyone to buy all of it. He wanted everything gone together. Most people only wanted a machine. Then the other problem no one could seem to move it. Luckily at the time I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic and had access to a Cat MTL. I could move everything but the Cincinnati mill that weighed a little over 5 thousand pounds. My Uncle got that for me with his loader. But it was alot of work just getting everything, then it took time to section off my building. I have a 40'X75' pole building its in. Getting Three Phase electric was a little pricey too. But all in all finally I have it where I need it. Two years later and a lot of hard work. I'm still buying stuff as I go, not everything is in my shop area so what you see isn't everything. You can pick up stuff at the right price when its a manual machine and its older. But most old machines are whooped and the Ways are so worn you can't keep any tolerances. You can pick up most older manual machines in the 2 grand area bare bones in good shape. CNC machines kinda made everything manual obsolete. But a lot of shops still use them for prototyping or one off parts. Depends though you may stumble on a deal like I did.

MotoX_Racer07
07-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Rear engine mount milled out

MotoX_Racer07
07-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Bottom of it, still gotta drill the holes and weld it in place. I'm only going to be able to use the lower mount, the top one wont work due to the frame placement. Can't get a bolt through with the chassis in the way. But I figure the three bottom mounts and the head stay is more then enough to keep it in place.

MotoX_Racer07
07-20-2009, 05:36 PM
woodsracer144,

That machine with a table on it is called a surface ginder. You can grind some precise parts with that. Things like Piston pins, crank pins, valve shims and that sort of thing. Be aware though to run most machines like this you will need A Three Phase electric service installed. A lot of areas can't even get it, so the other option is a Phase converter, this will change your single phase 220 volt into 440 volts. It costs some jing depending on the horse power rating that is needed. They are rated at all sorts of different HP levels. A lot of modern machines though advise not to use the Phase converter, especially CNC's. Just make sure you talk to someone knowledgable before you get yourself into something you can't handle.

woodsracer144
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Almost all his stuff is mint he gets it from factorys that go out of business or the military all his stuff is very nice and not loaded with slop in the handles like some... How much would it be worth?

MotoX_Racer07
07-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Without being there and seeing this stuff, I have no idea man. I would have to see it and run it to know. I don't even know the makes or models of the stuff. Its worth what your happy paying for it basically. Sounds like you have no experience with the stuff either, if I were you, get some time under your belt before you spend the money on it. I was taught by a good friend of mine, just working side by side in his shop for three years. I had a really good natural knack for it and could see things before I even made it. Its not a skill you pickup over night. You gotta know speeds and feeds for certain materials when milling or turning. There just is alot of stuff and I could ramble for hours. I'd talk to your Buddy's Grandpa and feel him out. Sounds like he is going to want top dollar. If he is wheeling and dealing this stuff all the time he's the one to ask.

Motofool250r
07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
i know when i went looking 5 years ago for a good bridgeport manual mill used everything was 8-15k each that the tables werent all chewed up n desroyed.

someday ill get into a few,

zedicus00
07-21-2009, 10:13 AM
hey, look at how the 86-87 250R rear motor mount is done. you should be doing something like that with the swingarm bolt through it.

also when you get this all figured out you should sell either a kit to convert cannondale frames or pre-converted cannondale frames. i would buy one.

MotoX_Racer07
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
zedicus00,

Believe me I already know what works and what does not. With how narrow the frame is there really isn't enough space for the swinger between the engine mount (86-87) I used that to mount the engine though in the correct spot. Then removed it. The swing-arm would be way to weak. I want to be able to make a solid piece accross (like the 88-89R) Just a more duable way of doing it. There is a lot of clearance issues. Don't mind the ideas but being the person I am I already looked at all the options. I am trying to keep durability here in every way possible. As far as a kit, thats possible I guess. But there is so much labor involved I don't think anyone would be able to afford it. Unless your talking customers like Orange county choppers, in the quad industry though those people rarely excist.

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Before

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
After welded and smoothed

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Finally got all the un-needed tabs off the chassis and all the un-needed holes filled in.

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Left side. its slow going but its comming together. I've had the motor in and out probably 50 times now.

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:20 PM
You can get an idea here at how tight the engine had to be on the right side. If the chassis was any narrower this would never of worked due to chain alignment.

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm going to use an IMS 400ex tank with the new 400EX plastic. 2010 TRX250R is what I'm looking for. Should look sweet with some retro 250R decals, but thats way ahead of myself yet

MotoX_Racer07
07-22-2009, 05:29 PM
You can sort of see here the clearance issue I am going to have with the shock mount. I am going to cut the rad valve and turn the intake to get the carb moved over away from
anything hitting it. I am going to build the new shock mount next. Should be fairly easy, just takes time to get everything sitting how it should.

Motofool250r
07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
in my best borat voice "Very NIIce!"

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:42 PM
This is how the shock mount began its life *lol*

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Next was getting the shock mount in its stock locations and check clearance issues.

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Stock location marked and ready to build the rest of the mount

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Got her pretty much how I need it here

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Checking clearance issues, looking good.

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
This is turning out pretty well for how much things have to change to make it work.

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I had to cut the intake tube on the Rad valve and turn it for clearance on the shock, it worked great.

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Rear mount showing everything is clear and shouldn't have any rubbing problems

pdxbigfoot
07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I cant get enough of this thread!!!
Truly inspiring and you have my wheels turning for a new winter project.

woodsracer144
07-26-2009, 07:22 PM
whay kind of swinger are you gonna use? that shock mount got moved back alot! this is nuts... i hope i never see you bored... becuase i think something REALLY crazy would happen...

MotoX_Racer07
07-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Actually the shock mount is in the same spot as the stock location, its not any different, okay give or take .005. But what the hell is a couple thousanths. That isn't that critical. It will use stock swing-arm demensions (cannonale). I am going to fabricate my own swing-arm, using the 88/89 swing-arm bearing kit & sleeve. Its going to be cut down since the frame is narrower. It will all fall together a piece at a time. This is the most indepth hybrid I've built so far. I'm no pro, but it will look either trick or factory when everything is finalized.

woodsracer144
07-26-2009, 08:08 PM
ok i have a question for you... its a little off topic but i want to know it if will work...

ok if you would take the rear lower motor mount that you made and welded in there... i hope you know what one im talkin about...

could you take that set up and then get a yzf 426 to mount in the chassis useing them... so that way you can still go to a 250r motor...
thanks

MotoX_Racer07
07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
No way, the 450 Yammy motor is a whole other fabrication setup. Any motor you put in these frames is going to be a whole new reengineering process. None of its easy when your starting from nothing. There are times where it takes two-three days just for one fabrication of a part. Since everything is freehand. Everything starts from scratch. I wasn't going to even post these pictures due to people wanting to copy it. But in all reality, very few people have the capabilities to even come close to pulling this off and look right. I just am looking to be different and have quads unique that no one else has. If you want to do a 426 motor, my advice is just try it. My friend did one, but he has a shop somewhat like mine. His tig welder is better then mine, so he can pull off the Aluminum welding a lot nicer then me. The way I see it, nothing is impossible when doing these. I always have an idea for the next issue that arises. So far I can see a pile of them ahead still yet. But its going to happen, one problem at a time.

rooster408
07-27-2009, 09:02 AM
U have the hands of god,my good man!!!!!

MotoX_Racer07
07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Hands of God you say? *lol* I appreciate the comparison, but I am completely an amateur. I havn't been doing this very long. But thanks for the complement.

Motofool250r
07-27-2009, 09:15 AM
If people are going to copy your work they are saying that your craftsmanship n engineering ideas were superior to all others n you should be proud that people would want to copy an innovator, that's how I saw it when I made some custom things in the past. Well done I couldnt do this build as good as you are top notch man keep it going!

woodsracer144
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
i thought about this a while ago.. and then you used kinda the same set up... i think this build is really good.. but i thought if how the one mount was if you could make it an adaptor style set up for the 250r to get a 426 in it...

i dont know i'll see once i get the motor pulled...

hurley#68
07-29-2009, 10:37 AM
cant wait to see it done! nice job

C41Xracer
07-29-2009, 10:49 AM
If jrd can do it I think it can be done.I'm actually making my hybrid to use the yz and the 250r
No way, the 450 Yammy motor is a whole other fabrication setup. Any motor you put in these frames is going to be a whole new reengineering process. None of its easy when your starting from nothing. There are times where it takes two-three days just for one fabrication of a part. Since everything is freehand. Everything starts from scratch. I wasn't going to even post these pictures due to people wanting to copy it. But in all reality, very few people have the capabilities to even come close to pulling this off and look right. I just am looking to be different and have quads unique that no one else has. If you want to do a 426 motor, my advice is just try it. My friend did one, but he has a shop somewhat like mine. His tig welder is better then mine, so he can pull off the Aluminum welding a lot nicer then me. The way I see it, nothing is impossible when doing these. I always have an idea for the next issue that arises. So far I can see a pile of them ahead still yet. But its going to happen, one problem at a time.

MotoX_Racer07
07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes it probably could as with anything custom fabricated, what I'm saying is its more of a pain in the *****. To many variations from motor to motor. The YZ motor I've seen done as well as a CR500 Cr250's Both engine styles 92-01 and the 02 to current CR's. Also a Husaberg 501 and a KTM 525. But if you your making yours to take both engines I'd love to see how your going about it. For one any engine you swap out is going to have to have totally different airboxe routing, wiring, cable routing, clearance issues and so on. I think its a waist because you would be better off buying another C-dale frame. Build two chassis's and just swap from one chassis to the other. JRD I have never seen any of there conversions. I'm sure many people try to do these but very few I see are done correctly. But if your building one for two engines Lets see it?

C41Xracer
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree with you its a pain. As soon as I get further along in my build ill post picks so it can be seen. As far as an airbox I'm using the 250r air box but it will have a different tube per motor

Motofool250r
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
i think they just make the chassis large enough to fit many motors

MotoX_Racer07
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm talking about a Cannondale chassis here not a steel frame. Are we on the same page? If its a 250R geometry frame thats a whole other story.

C41Xracer
07-30-2009, 08:27 AM
We are now. I was talking about my laeger frame. I'm sure it can be done in a Cannondale frame also. I had one and thought about putting something else in it. If I was to do it all over again I would chose a Cannondale frame so I could use the frame to hold the oil for the motor that's would save me the hassle. Your build is interesting how hard was it to mock up an air box for your chassis

250Renvy
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Yes it probably could as with anything custom fabricated, what I'm saying is its more of a pain in the *****. To many variations from motor to motor. The YZ motor I've seen done as well as a CR500 Cr250's Both engine styles 92-01 and the 02 to current CR's. Also a Husaberg 501 and a KTM 525. But if you your making yours to take both engines I'd love to see how your going about it. For one any engine you swap out is going to have to have totally different airboxe routing, wiring, cable routing, clearance issues and so on. I think its a waist because you would be better off buying another C-dale frame. Build two chassis's and just swap from one chassis to the other. JRD I have never seen any of there conversions. I'm sure many people try to do these but very few I see are done correctly. But if your building one for two engines Lets see it?

Look at my thread in my signature for my HRE custom ATV. It is being built for dual motors - CRF 450 and TRX 250R. It's not terribly complicated but still involved a lot of pre-planning. I thought about having 2 differernt frames but 1 - it's much more money and 2, a motor swap only takes a couple hours vs tearing down the whole machine.

I have virtually the same frame as C41xracer and I am making it a dual mounting system as well with a Z400 and TRX250R.

For me it's not like I'll be switching motors that often, but when one needs a rebuild or if I race ice in the winter I'd rather just put the 2 stroke in - it's also future proofing the chassis to accept a different motor if they stop making any motor parts for the 250r.

C41Xracer
07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
If you look in some old dirt wheels there was a quad that had mounts for 2 motors. A yz400 and a 250r I think the guys name was sickman or some like that. But it was in a 400ex chassis

jcs003
07-30-2009, 03:10 PM
i am very impressed with your skills. you call your self a novice but your skills are very advanced. you also understand the engineering aspects of your fabrication work. i am a mechanical engineer and accomplished machinist and design and machine components for the mining industry, so im fimiliar with the problems that arise when doing one off projects. keep up the great work.

MotoX_Racer07
07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Okay see I am talking about a Cannondale frame. A steel or Chromolly chassis is so much easier to work with. The Cannondale frame was designed around its original motor. So getting two motors to fit is going to be way to time consuming and quite the tedious task. I am in the middle of it. Its easy to point fingers and say you can do it this way or that way. but until you are there and experiencing it hands on, its a whole other story. I'm not trying to be a a-hole or anything, I just know what goes into these things.

MotoX_Racer07
07-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Motor I picked up off ebay for 50 bucks. My next engine build for the C-dale

MotoX_Racer07
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
After I disassembled the cases and bead blasted them. It had a 4mm stroker in it I am going to rebuild it. Also going to put the CR250 jug on this motor. I have to weld the cases and move the front two studs out. Bore the cases and it will bolt up. Have to reroute the coolent also. Then I can mock my pipe up and head stay.

MotoX_Racer07
07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Its funny the reason why this motor wasn't split and parted out was because of a stripped bolt head. This is how I got it out. I just tigged a bolt to the top of the head and it came right out.

MotoX_Racer07
07-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Well here is the worse part of the cases. But I will weld it and smooth it off. You won't even know they were welded when I'm done.

Motofool250r
07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
nice budget motor man

MotoX_Racer07
07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah I got the motor pretty much for a steal. It has a 4mm stroker in it. Everything of course was shot bearing wise but well worth it. A few of the gears are out of spec also. I bought a bunch of gears from a guy a while back on ebay that were brand new. I will replace whats not in its service limit. Putting the CR250 Jug on a TRX-R will be something I've never done. I've got it all figured out pretty much now. Its going to work out nice. Don't know if its going to be worth the work, but I like doing things different. R&D is what its all about. I worked on the cases today, I gotta thread a rod and make plugs for the cylinder studs, since the CR ones are wider in front. Will have to build up the outter edge with weld and resurface the engine cases. Retap new holes for the CR cylinder and bore the cases so it will fit down in the crankcase. Not sure what spacer plate I will need to use untill the cylinder is bolted down. Sucks cause I brainstorm this stuff and it holds me back on the Hybrid. But in order to do the Expansion chamber and head stay I gotta get the right motor in that I'm using.

born2ride14
08-06-2009, 09:15 PM
So how is all the case machining going? anything new on this crazy beast?

MotoX_Racer07
08-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Not quite yet, I have to many Irons in the fire at the moment. I lost a Crank bearing on my 88 250R so now I tore into that. So as of now I have three R motors ripped apart. When I get some of this stuff put back together and the parts get here I will get rolling again. Just to much going on at the moment. But I will get going again soon enough.

2muchquad
08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
updates?

MotoX_Racer07
08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Slowly yes. I got my powdercoat finally in the mail. So I will powdercoat the cases in the next week, get the motor together and then I'm good to go. I will post pics of the cases and parts once I get them all finished. Just a lot of stuff changing for me since being laid off. The time off is giving me time to get all my Chit together. I just gotta get everything done in the shop yet. Looking to venture off on my own soon. I'm piping my air lines in now to make things easier and more efficient. Just getting the shop as high tech as I possibly can. It makes work so much nicer when everything you need is in front of you. I want to get into fabricating all the things for a 250R no body makes or has been discontinued. Looking into a CNC plasma also now, thats a possibility. I think I can bring a lot of cool stuff to the table.

2muchquad
08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
sounds good,ive done a few hybrids and they are time consuming but i have never gone as far as you have.i used to make things look pretty wheni was younger but now its all about performance.its a shame how much money these quads can eat up and not be worth anything in the resale world.So be careful when going about this,yeah sure you may be doing it for yourself but the cold reality is if/when you ever part it ,it will be all for naught.When ever i get tired of my cannondale i will drop a yz426 mmotor that i have into it,but right now the cannondale rips,i put a new crank in it over the winter so imn gonna get some use out of it,i love the handling of the dale;)

racerx573
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
If you need any good condition bottom end parts, let me know I have a few transmissions, and a lot of the other gears and stuff.

MotoX_Racer07
08-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Here is the color I'm using. Rear shock mount complete

MotoX_Racer07
08-23-2009, 08:52 AM
All in place, shouldn't have to unbolt it again now. Next thing is the engine cases, I'm working on them now. They are going to be the same color. Its call Deep red transparent, powdercoat is the way to go. I will try to keep things rolling on this. Just other things keep popping up.

Shawthy33
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Just read the whole build, amazing work, can't wait to see this complete. The rear shock mount is incredible.

Keep up the good work

2muchquad
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
i agree,the whole deal looks good,fine craftsmanship,but then you'll have some pessimists saying"oh the rear shock mount is all wrong,leverage ratio is off yada yada",just tell'em you built it for yourself not to please them,if they dont like it dont read the thread,keep their negativity to themselves,i cant stand people like that,haters are amongst us:)

woodsracer144
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
haters are amongst us:)

you fum da hood? haha lol jk

2muchquad
08-25-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah the south side of hubbard ohio...lol

MotoX_Racer07
08-25-2009, 09:30 PM
i agree,the whole deal looks good,fine craftsmanship,but then you'll have some pessimists saying"oh the rear shock mount is all wrong,leverage ratio is off yada yada"

I have yet to hear any negativity so far. I highly doubt many others could pull this off without using some idea I have put into motion already. Its all in fun and it gives people the idea you don't have to ride what everyone else does. My garage consists of toys no one else has or is completely different from what everyone else is used to seeing. Its how I stand out from the crowd. No one wants to be Waldo right lol But then again I may be wrong

2muchquad
08-25-2009, 09:59 PM
i agree,i do the same thing,thats why i still ride a cannondale(fx400) and a banshee,87 with j arms,you dont see too many of those away from the drag strip at least.I have always been different,thats what my mommy would tell me anyhow..:D i also ride 2 ktm mx bikes

trx310R#24
08-26-2009, 02:12 AM
yeah the south side of hubbard ohio...lol

lol yeah thats as hood as it gets...

00.400ex#55
08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Wow man, you say youre not a pro but you could have fooled me. Im actualy going to school to be a machinist, going into second year now. I can only dream of having a little shop like yours one day.

I have a question for you though, How did you machine the countour on the rear shock mount?

MotoX_Racer07
08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Well on manual machines radius cuts just aren't easy. So thats when the belt sander comes in, I normally machine as close as I can. Then either use a belt sander or sometimes a Die grinder with a flap wheel. This is why CNC's are nice they do it all. But it takes more skill to do it manual, and you feel better about actually making the part in the end.

Kuma
08-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey MotoX, nice job and great to see you sharing this with all of us.
I am curently in a mockup stage of a CR500/cdale hybrid.
Motor is hanging in the frame using the swingarm pivot bolt.
My current biggest obsticles is the kick start and the carb oh and figuring out what to do about an airbox.
Anyway, I realy enjoy seeing someone doing it and doing it with high quality!

dns1764
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
beautiful

Honda 250r 001
09-18-2009, 02:26 PM
DUDE! that is frecking awesome!!!!!!!! I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE.

Honda 250r 001
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Kuma
Hey MotoX, nice job and great to see you sharing this with all of us.
I am curently in a mockup stage of a CR500/cdale hybrid.
Motor is hanging in the frame using the swingarm pivot bolt.
My current biggest obsticles is the kick start and the carb oh and figuring out what to do about an airbox.
Anyway, I realy enjoy seeing someone doing it and doing it with high quality!

do you have pics you want to send to hedberg345@hotmail.com???

THANKS!

fox609x
09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
send me pics to djfox609@hotmail.com i want to make my cannondale hybrid but with a 450r engine and the 400ex tank and plastics from which year are? and the tank fits without mods or did you make mods to the frame i hope you can respond ASAP thanks man.

cannondale27
09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I hate seeing Cannondales die but if they do this is the way to go.Very impressed.

fox609x
09-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cannondale27
I hate seeing Cannondales die but if they do this is the way to go.Very impressed.
but it will have the heart and soul of cannondale yet, just with different clothing i will make custom graphics for it and it will have the name of cannondale cannibal 450r i love a lot my cannon, has nice suspension comfy seat, nice brakes and handlebar positions and lightweight frame.

cannondale27
09-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I am eyeing up that new
2010 YZFYamaha/ Cannondale motor for a conversion when they cost less.Always wanted to try YFZ plastic on a Dale also.

fox609x
09-28-2009, 10:29 PM
yeah i saw the new engine front intake that hybrid can be called yamadale lol it sounds nice

SRH
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
wow i love the cr 250 one, how about a cr 500r cannondale in the future'?

HondaATC500X
10-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Fantastic job, A+ fab work on this build. Very nice.

OutCast
12-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Any updates on this project?

woodsracer144
01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
any more pics?

Honda 250r 001
11-07-2010, 07:16 PM
updates man?!?:D :D :D

cannondale27
11-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Yes I cant wait to see this!Understand priorities change but sure hope you keep posting this build.Get er' done!

trx750gsxr
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
mad props. nice shop set up. wish mine was as nice!:D

ridehonda400ex
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
dude this quad is f***ing sweet!!!! i wish i had money and this kind of talent lol. and you should not paint the frame IMO, instead get some MOTHERS aluminum polish and shine up that frame.....that stuff will work wonders

250x_kyle
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
dude this quad is f***ing sweet!!!! i wish i had money and this kind of talent lol. and you should not paint the frame IMO, instead get some MOTHERS aluminum polish and shine up that frame.....that stuff will work wonders

it takes alot of time and dulls very easily.

ridehonda400ex
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
very true. but MOTHERS also makes a sealent that helps prevent the dulling.

scotturban
12-22-2010, 08:14 AM
that is a sick build man,

jesshamner
12-31-2010, 10:45 PM
I would like to see a pic of it finished with the plastic removed. In particular, the mounts that you made for the plastic.

chronicsmoke
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
BUMP What happened to this???

2005eton90
07-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Any updates this looks great.