PDA

View Full Version : where to get parts from and coolhead questions

ehorst33
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
got a quick prolly easy question but i working on my build and I want to put a temp gauge and fuel filter on. Were would the best and cheapest places to purchase these.

Also i dunno whats done to my engine but when I bought it he gave me a coolhead with it, will I be able to just bolt that on or does the engine need to be change for it to fit. Sorry this is my first r so my knowledge on the engine isnt that great but i learn very quick

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
The Coolhead will depend on the dome inside it, whether it is the same compression as your current setup.

Step 1 - Check your current compression with a compression tester (Sears - $50).

Step 2 - Pop the removable dome out of the Cool Head and see what CC it is (16, 21, etc).

Step 3 - Call Pro Design and gather information from them on whether that removable dome will have the same compression as your stock head. They will have lots of questions, but are very accurate. I spoke with Tom, the owner, and actually sent my used Cool Head in and he refurbished it and changed the dome for the compression I wanted. He sent it back and it is now perfect. (I also had them o-ring the head so now I don't need anymore head gaskets!)

Anything other than these steps above will not yield accurate results. I suppose you could simply bolt the Col Head on and check compression with it and compare to your stock head. I just like to be a bit more thorough. You need to know what dome is in their anyway, for your notes...

See Ebay and EbayStores for an inline temp gauge. There is a guy who works at ESR and makes temp gauges on the side. You will save $10-$15 by buying his on Ebay. Search for 250R temp, etc....

James

Creech52
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Ya deff. hit up ebay for a temp gauge.

As far as the cool head you will want to see the CC of the dome like stated. Also I would try to make sure it is not for a big bore motor. Chances are if it came with the bike it will work, but you never know.

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Tom at Pro Design told me the highest he can go on a Cool Head is a 68mm (and change) bore size. He did not state whether he ever made a big bore Cool Head.

James

Creech52
07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Hmm maybe its just ESR, but I have seen big bore specific "cool heads"

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Interesting!

I should've asked Tom about those....

James

Creech52
07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
so I was correct in the first place it was pro design...http://www.prodesignracing.com/honda_cool_heads.htm

Pro-x 310 and 330 specific cool heads...I knew Ive seen them before.

thedeatons
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Good to know you found them....

James