View Full Version : What the heck?

flyboy1294
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
So today I went to my local atv shop to pick up some oil for a 300ex. I told the mechanic that I wanted 10w-40 full synthetic for it, and he went bonkers. He said something about since it didn't have synthetic in it when I bought it, if I put synthetic in it now (Which I have been using synthetic for 2 oil changes now) "The molecules in the engine wouldn't bond with the oil and it would pretty much be like running water in your engine and would ultimately destroy it"

... Wth? I have NEVER heard this since I started messing with quads. Heck I even went from castor oil to full synthetic in a truck before... And what about that oil that is synthetic blend? Never had a problem with that stuff either...

Is this guy high? Or is this common knowledge that I somehow missed out on?

aDviSol2y
07-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Ask oilguy! He would know for sure but in my opinion that guy is HIGH! He is probably just pulling the "I want to sell you this and only this, cause I get better comission or kick backs form this company." But I am not very versed in oil. I have always used Honda oil because I can get it for a good price with a discount.

sab24711
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
your really supposed to use full synthetic oil first time and every time after that. but you can use it you will be fine. oil is oil even 10w-40 you can use it all year long. your not going to over heat your quad or blow it up so there really isn't any scare like mister know it all said at the dealership. the only time you never supposed to use that oil is on break in cause it doesn't set the rings properly.

p.s i love going to dealerships and them saying some bull that you know isn't true i just shove it back in their face. and going to look at a beat up quad like i am going to buy them and just tare them apart.

woodsracer144
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
but in my opinion that guy is HIGH!

dude... that guy is way past high... whatever drug he is on if it would get on the market the US would REALLY be ****ed... its messed up already...

flyboy1294
07-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Haha I figured as much. I have been running full synthetic in every bike I have owned since I was 10 and I NEVER have had once 'explode' from oil...

p.s i love going to dealerships and them saying some bull that you know isn't true i just shove it back in their face.

I thought about doing it, but the guy was so determined that he was right that I decided either he was actually right, or so stoned that he wasn't safe to argue with :p

Thanks for the help guys... I really am not too happy about the way dealerships are doing business now-a-days. The ignorance from 'mechanics' is amazing. Half of them around here will INSIST that there is a special gear called a 'Powerband' that kicks in to give you more power... :rolleyes:

woodsracer144
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Half of them around here will INSIST that there is a special gear called a 'Powerband' that kicks in to give you more power... :rolleyes:

ok i would do the work by my self if they thing the powerban is givin off a single gear in the motor... where do you live?

CJM
07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Old addage is you can go to syn but cant go back as usually the gaskets leak..

Ba9801
07-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Well actually the deal is vehicles that are made to run on synthetic oil have much tighter tolerances in internal components and the fit and finish of anything that is going to seal the oil into the engine. The reason for this is that synthetic oil is actually a bit more slippery than a standard oil.
The rule of thumb that we use on cars (and I am an ASE Master Tech that owns his own auto shop) is that if you put synthetic oil in to a newer (1994-up) vehicle and you don't get excessive leaking from the seals and gaskets then you are go to run it, if you do have addition leaking or burning of the oil then we usually switch back to a standard oil. Remember as the synthetic will slide past your rings and valve seals easier and burn off in your combustion chamber, so if you are unsure how tight your motor is you will soon find out with synthetic oil in it. Just be sure to keep an eye on your oil level and if it is low just look around the bike and see why. Otherwise you should be fine.
Hope this helps clear it up a bit for everyone.

flyboy1294
07-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
ok i would do the work by my self if they thing the powerban is givin off a single gear in the motor... where do you live?

Close to Pulaski co, Kentucky. Right on the lake... ;)

Originally posted by Ba9801Well actually the deal is vehicles that are made to run on synthetic oil have much tighter tolerances in internal components and the fit and finish of anything that is going to seal the oil into the engine. The reason for this is that synthetic oil is actually a bit more slippery than a standard oil.
The rule of thumb that we use on cars (and I am an ASE Master Tech that owns his own auto shop) is that if you put synthetic oil in to a newer (1994-up) vehicle and you don't get excessive leaking from the seals and gaskets then you are go to run it, if you do have addition leaking or burning of the oil then we usually switch back to a standard oil. Remember as the synthetic will slide past your rings and valve seals easier and burn off in your combustion chamber, so if you are unsure how tight your motor is you will soon find out with synthetic oil in it. Just be sure to keep an eye on your oil level and if it is low just look around the bike and see why. Otherwise you should be fine.
Hope this helps clear it up a bit for everyone.

I have used synthetic on this motor for awhile with absolutely no problems. The engine is tight as a drum. The mechanic went nuts anyway. :rolleyes:

And the 'leaking seals' is MUCH more believable than the 'blow up your engine...' stuff. In other words, your answer makes sense. ;)
But never-the-less I walked away from the dealer with 10w-40 non synthetic oil. :grr:

Ba9801
07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I personally am running synthetic oil in my bike. I changed to synthetic after its second oil change and have not had any problems at all. Just be sure to use synthetic oil without moly as the moly will mess up your clutches. So dont just put mobil1 in your motor, you may have bad results. I am using Honda's synthetic HP4 oil, but anyone's non moly 4 stroke oil will work.

flyboy1294
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Ba9801
I personally am running synthetic oil in my bike. I changed to synthetic after its second oil change and have not had any problems at all. Just be sure to use synthetic oil without moly as the moly will mess up your clutches. So dont just put mobil1 in your motor, you may have bad results. I am using Honda's synthetic HP4 oil, but anyone's non moly 4 stroke oil will work.

Yeah I run synthetic in all my bikes. Always have, probably always will. I think its really necessary in air cooled bikes like the 300ex/400ex. It won't start breaking down at higher temps.