PDA

View Full Version : FMF SST on '86 TRX - Will it fit?

dynofox
07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I see that FMF lists the SST for the '87-'89 TRX, will it really not fit the '86? If so why not?

86 Quad R
07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
should fit on there with out any issues. :cool:

dynofox
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
should fit on there with out any issues. :cool:

That is what I thought, I don't mind making a custom mounting bracket if needed.

86 Quad R
07-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
That is what I thought, I don't mind making a custom mounting bracket if needed.

and that may be the only significant differences....

dynofox
07-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
and that may be the only significant differences....

I just got off the phone with FMF and they said that it will not fit the '86 model due to the frame. Has anyone actually installed one of these pipes on an '86 model with success? It would be nice to know before I waste money buying one if it will definitely not fit.

86 Quad R
07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
hmmmmm!!! that makes no sense. i've tried all sorts of pipes on an 86 and 88-89 side by side to do power delivery tests and had no issues. you would think that they would work. maybe there is something i dunno about or aware of? :huh

Honda 250r 001
07-15-2009, 01:53 PM
it will fit, but you may need to make a new bracket. the front motor mounts were changed an inch back i believe in the later style frames compared to the older ones.

dynofox
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
it will fit, but you may need to make a new bracket. the front motor mounts were changed an inch back i believe in the later style frames compared to the older ones.

I had to make a custom bracket for the turner '89 TRX Race pipe I have now due to the motor mounts being in a different location, it sounds like the exact same issue for this pipe which isn't a big deal. I even asked the guy at FMF if a custom bracket was all that was needed it was not a big deal but he said they had fitment issues with the '86 frame.

Saul76
07-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
I had to make a custom bracket for the turner '89 TRX Race pipe I have now due to the motor mounts being in a different location, it sounds like the exact same issue for this pipe which isn't a big deal. I even asked the guy at FMF if a custom bracket was all that was needed it was not a big deal but he said they had fitment issues with the '86 frame.

Possible to see pics of the bracket you had to make/use? I also have a 89 TRX Race Pipe and an 86 frame - haven't installed yet.

dynofox
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
Possible to see pics of the bracket you had to make/use? I also have a 89 TRX Race Pipe and an 86 frame - haven't installed yet.

Nothing fancy, just a piece of aluminum stock I had laying around. The only reason I had to use a different motor mount bolt is I needed more length because my PEP steering stabilizer mounts on the other side of the frame using that same mount.

Saul76
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the pic.

Did you have any problems fitting the pipe inside the frame? I know it sounds trivial but did you install it in pieces or after it was 'joined' ?

I tried test fitting mine fore I yanked the engine out and I couldn't wrap my head around how to route the head pipe through the frame to correctly meet up with the engine exhaust flange.

dynofox
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
Thanks for the pic.

Did you have any problems fitting the pipe inside the frame? I know it sounds trivial but did you install it in pieces or after it was 'joined' ?

I tried test fitting mine fore I yanked the engine out and I couldn't wrap my head around how to route the head pipe through the frame to correctly meet up with the engine exhaust flange.

The pipe needs to be apart to install it, I think that is the only reason it is a 2-piece design.

racerx573
07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I had brackets like that on all of my frames, none ever bolted up. I would actually use the stock rubber mounted bracket used for the lower silencer mount for this set up. Worked perfect every time. I had '86 frames, '89 and 3 different Laeger's.