PDA

View Full Version : LT80 Won't crank...i think i did a bad thing! HELP!!

billlydroveit
07-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Ok, so here's what i did. I was being haisty, and trying to do too many things at once, and not thinking. I put new front brake cables on the quad. My 2 year old was outside with me and saw me finish up. He asked me if we could go for a ride befor he went in to bed. I told him yes and here's what happened!

I just got this quad and haven't really rode it. Last time i had it running (a week ago) I left the petcock on prime and put it back in the shed! WHen i pulled it out i saw no fuel puddle on teh ground nor did it smell like fuel had been leaking. But i didn't notice the petcock until i tried to start it.

I hit the starter button and the starter engaged and turned the motor a bit and stopped. I figured i slipped off the button. I hit it again and the motor made what sounded to be one revolution and stopped. Then would not turn again. There's a button just under the right rear plastics that had tripped (i'm assuming a breaker for the starter motor) I pushed it back in and repeated teh above with the same results three times. Now in my haist i didn't even think about the cylinder being full of fuel from now noticing the petcock was on prime...THe issue i have now, is the starter won't even engage. The relay under teh seat is clicking (doesn't mean it good anymore) but the starter won't do anything. I'll pull teh plug and let the motor clean out, but i need the starter to work again.

I'm a mechanic, and know how to do electical. All i need to know if there is a common starting place, a simple solve the "powers that be" would know off the top of their head. I know the motor didn't seize, it's in the electronics somewhere. A simple fuse, or breaker i'm not seeing?

Thanks for any input...i'm really hoping to hear from LT80 on this one.

etondaddy
07-15-2009, 07:20 AM
When mine was triping the thing under the seat the starter was bad. Check the battery..... then put a test light on the starter wire and hit the button and see if the starters getting power.

Mike Kozura

billlydroveit
07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
It has a new battery, and the headlight is nice and bright, even when i try to crank it. The starter was cranking over just fine a week befor this. Not saying it's not bad, i just find it hard to believe that from one time to teh next it would have gone bad. Plus i'mn hoping it's not, i don't feel like spending the money, or doing the work, it looks like a pain in the @$$

etondaddy
07-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Yea the starter is a real pain........see if it's getting power when you hit the button.

Mike Kozura

LT80
07-16-2009, 07:28 AM
You need to remove the carb to make the starter r&r easy.

billlydroveit
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by LT80
You need to remove the carb to make the starter r&r easy.

LT80, I take it there is not a common problem that i should look for for what i did? I'm in Cleveland now for buisness, won't be back till saturday do i can't look at it. I guess since noone has offered up a "yeah that's common" Scenario, I will have to get the test light out and start tracking wires. Is there a manual online i can down load free...PDF file or something. I for one for my Super9 from another sit as a shared file, but cannot find a freely shared manual for hte LT80.

THanks for all the input and help, i will keep you guys posted when i get back to working on it.

LT80
07-17-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't consider it to be a common problem.
Electrics isn't my strong point. :(

billlydroveit
07-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Ok i made it back from Ohio! Starting poking around with a 12volt tester, and found the relay under the seat was bad. I jumped it and got it fired.(after getting all the gas out of the cylinder!) So now i need a new relay, local dealer doesn't stock it and it's 28$! So anyone have one they wanna sell me cheaper!?? Also looked more at teh bike, removed the exhaust, and carb both restrictors are removed. I think the boysen reids are coming soon! Thanks all fr your help.

RELAY ANYONE!??