PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust advice

dynofox
07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I've currently got an '86 TRX 250r with a turner '89 TRX Race mid range pipe with a FMF Q silencer and am thinking about changing it up some. Part of the reason is I also have an '86 ATC 250r with a full fmf exhaust and it makes the TRX feel a little lame. Both machines are set up nearly identical other than the exhaust. Both have a boyesen rad valve, a pwk 35mm A.S. carb and 12/39 gearing. The ATC is much more responsive and will even rev out better than the TRX, my thought is the turner mid range pipe is the reason. Maybe what I'm feeling in the low to mid range is the nearly 40lbs weight advantage the ATC has over the TRX? I've done a little research and it seems a lot of you guys don't like the fatty on the TRX, if it performs like it does on my ATC I'd be very pleased. I don't ride the ATC much, its mainly a garage piece but I took it out this past weekend for a 30-mile ride with my brother on his lt250r and remembered just how much fun the ATC is! It requires a MUCH better rider to be fast on, riding a quad sure makes you lazy! I just trail ride in a variety of conditions, tight woods, open fields and everything in between. Anyone have any input on the fatty for the trx? Would it be a better pipe than the turner I have now for the conditions mentioned earlier?

1promodfan
07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
If it was me, I would go with the FMF SST. The fatty is O.K. but I liked the SST better. It makes all around power, and it revs out great. I had one on my TRX 250R and IMO it was a good pipe.

Beware.....there is a lot of FMF bashers up here.

07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
What rear tires are you running? Do you mostly trail ride? Just curious as to why you're running 12/39 gearing. The weight difference would definitely make the ATC faster, all other things being equal. If you find a good deal on an FMF pipe, I think it's worth a shot on your TRX.

dynofox
07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by 8686
What rear tires are you running? Do you mostly trail ride? Just curious as to why you're running 12/39 gearing. The weight difference would definitely make the ATC faster, all other things being equal. If you find a good deal on an FMF pipe, I think it's worth a shot on your TRX.

I run the Othsu radials on the rear with Razr 2's up front. I've always liked the Othsu radials on the rear, hook up well, slide great and are lightweight. I've got dunlop radials on my ATC (take offs from an '05 450r) and like those too. Some of the trails are very tight and 12/39 lets me be in the rpms a little more. There really are not any places we go more than 55-60mph so being able to go much faster on top really isn't an issue. This gearing in the ATC makes for an exciting ride in the woods. :D

I see that the SST pipe is listed for the 87-89 models, will it not fit the '86?

86Rrider
07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I'll add my 2 cents-

I cannot speak on how well or not all the pipes out there on the market work on R's, but I can say that I have had an FMF Fatty on my '86 for the last 11 years and I think it works great for trail riding!

Now, the only thing I really have to judge it against is when I bought the quad back in '97, the guy I bought it off had an old Cobra top end pipe on it. So, I rode it one summer with that pipe then bought the FMF. I've never even rode it with a stock pipe on it. The only real thing I have to judge it against is my one riding buddy use to MX race ATC's and TRX's back in the 80's. When I bought the FMF. he still had one of his Trinity Racing R's with a Paul Turner pipe on it. When he rode mine with the FMF on it he said that he was impressed with the way the power-band was. He said that FMF must have been doing their home work, for he tried a FMF years ago and did not care for the performance of it.

All I know is I have not had any issues with the way mine runs when I'm riding the tight-n-twistys and constantly letting the rpm's drop to the basement then pull right back up stairs with a quick jab of the throttle! I'd buy another one!

Motofool250r
07-17-2009, 09:04 AM
fmf makes great pipes, i had a fmf rev pipe on my bike when i got it didn't like it, i run fattys on all my dirt bikes it will be a nice machine with an fmf pipe, but i prfer the ESR pipesfor this particular model.

trx6 for you i think is the low end pipe

Kirt13
07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
PM sent..........