PDA

View Full Version : leaking oil.....

450rdr424
07-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Have a 06 450er went riding sunday no problems, went out monday for a couple hot laps just some fine tuning before racing this weekend and noticed i was blowing oil out the breather hose that comes out the back side of the cylinder. so i shut it down cleaned it up inspected everything then rode around the yard a bit didnt leak oil. question is has anyone else had this happen to them and what might be causing it? doesnt smoke and seems to be running strong.

the predator
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
did you just do an oil change? if you over fill a little it will come out there.

450rdr424
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
no getting ready to do oil change thurs. talked two three different people had three different ans. so i rode again tonight to see if it would do it again and it didnt so i am just going to race it this weekend and if she blows she blows, dont really know what else to do........

blacknblue#2
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I have an 07. Running a 12.8:1 piston, stage 2 hot cam full exhaust and all the needed stuff...I had this problem for a year right after i built mine. I thought maybe i got a bad batch of rings and was gettin blow-by. Replaced them and no fix. Than i thought maybe the little reed that is between the cases in the bottom end was bad so i took a whole weekend off from ridin and fixed that... No fix. I start watching and realize it only does it when i am really cranking some high RPMs which is 90% of the time for me. SO i do some research and realize that honda racing (HRC) sells a "T" connector that goes in where all the breather hoses split. So I took my "T" out to find that one of the holes go from about 1/2 and get reduced down to about 1/8 of an inch. I figure heck with it the only difference can be that the HRC T makes it breath better to reduce pressure so i drilled my holes out in my "T". I have only rode it one time since i done this but i showed it no mercy. I was cranked the whole ride and so far it has blown no oil..........Your most common causes of this from what i found are..Rings, The reed between cases, Worn cylinder jug and bad crank seals. Mine still done it after replacing all of that so if making my "T" breath better fixed my problem then maybe i can save the next guy alot of money and time

Scro
07-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I have an 07. Running a 12.8:1 piston, stage 2 hot cam full exhaust and all the needed stuff...I had this problem for a year right after i built mine. I thought maybe i got a bad batch of rings and was gettin blow-by. Replaced them and no fix. Than i thought maybe the little reed that is between the cases in the bottom end was bad so i took a whole weekend off from ridin and fixed that... No fix. I start watching and realize it only does it when i am really cranking some high RPMs which is 90% of the time for me. SO i do some research and realize that honda racing (HRC) sells a "T" connector that goes in where all the breather hoses split. So I took my "T" out to find that one of the holes go from about 1/2 and get reduced down to about 1/8 of an inch. I figure heck with it the only difference can be that the HRC T makes it breath better to reduce pressure so i drilled my holes out in my "T". I have only rode it one time since i done this but i showed it no mercy. I was cranked the whole ride and so far it has blown no oil..........Your most common causes of this from what i found are..Rings, The reed between cases, Worn cylinder jug and bad crank seals. Mine still done it after replacing all of that so if making my "T" breath better fixed my problem then maybe i can save the next guy alot of money and time

Good info:cool:

450rdr424
07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
those are the three different ans i got, i have the hrc kit in mine which includes the bigger "t" but that was the second time i heard the it was from revving the snot out of so i am just going to run it and see what happens all the oil looked good and the levels were good. If you want the hrc harness that gives you more rpm let me know i have an extra laying around still in the package. Thanks for the info and saves me from tearing into the motor in prime riding season.