PDA

View Full Version : need help with car speakers

elmer91
07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
i blew out the speakers in the rear doors of my jeep grand cherokee. it has the stock amp and the stock stereo, and the blown speakers are Jensen JS65 (http://mobile.jensen.com/jensen/JensenProductDetail.do?ACTION_TYPE_ID=ACTION_TYPE_ PRODUCT_DETAIL&ACTION_CATEGORY_ID=STR_CATEGORY_SPEAKER&ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=JS65). i am looking at these (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569320). these should suit me fine, without me worrying about blowing them, right? i know nothing about speakers and such, so anything will help me out.

i tried to find info on the factory amp, and didnt have any luck.

i also have two 10" roadmaster subs in the back.

muddy400EX
07-14-2009, 08:50 PM
i personally would not buy from wal mart. go to crutchfield.com and find some pioneers or kenwoods. there around 50-60 bucks, and you wont blow them

07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
FYI and everyone elses Walmart audio equipment is actually cheaper priced because its built cheaper. go weigh models from another place, I didnt believe it until I saw it in person from an audio expert. What happens is Wamart says can you make it for this price, and they cut corners and quality to get that cheaper priced speaker or head unit. Crutchfield is the best place you can buy from, extremely good customer support, good prices, and its the real deal. Dont go cheap unless you want to blow them again. Do it right the 1st time. I'm completely happy with all my Polk speakers. I asked a few experts and they recomended Polk and people compliment on how good it sounds. I can blast the speakers easily audible outside of the car with the windows and doors closed and all and it still sounds crystal clear and full. Inside the car its a concert at CD quality. I like Infinity also but dont care much for Sony besides their head units. I dont like Kenwood head units. DO NOT get those cheap Sony Speakers at Walmart, I wouldnt even buy those to put in my room for a stereo system.

ben300
07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i personally would not buy from wal mart. go to crutchfield.com and find some pioneers or kenwoods. there around 50-60 bucks, and you wont blow them

dont listen to this guy...unless your buyign a head unit or an amp...you'll be fine buying speakers like those from walmart for alot of reason...the speakers there are jsut discontinued or out of date models adn your stock amp in that jeep will not blow those speakers up....the only way you could get those speakers to blow up is with subl linear failure from running the speakers at to low of an impeadence for to long at low volume levels..

your older speakers more than likeyly blew up for two reasons...one they were way under powered, even for the ****ty *** factory amplifier that the jeep came with, plus i dont know how old your jeep is but more than likely the stock speakers were made of a cheap *** paper material with cone tweeters and they jsut wore out, typical with stock speakers...so if you were tu buy..teh so caled ****ty speakers from walmart...you'll be ok....ohh ya and stock sucks...crutch field over charges,

ben300
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
FYI and everyone elses Walmart audio equipment is actually cheaper priced because its built cheaper. go weigh models from another place, I didnt believe it until I saw it in person from an audio expert. What happens is Wamart says can you make it for this price, and they cut corners and quality to get that cheaper priced speaker or head unit. Crutchfield is the best place you can buy from, extremely good customer support, good prices, and its the real deal. Dont go cheap unless you want to blow them again. Do it right the 1st time. I'm completely happy with all my Polk speakers. I asked a few experts and they recomended Polk and people compliment on how good it sounds. I can blast the speakers easily audible outside of the car with the windows and doors closed and all and it still sounds crystal clear and full. Inside the car its a concert at CD quality. I like Infinity also but dont care much for Sony besides their head units. I dont like Kenwood head units. DO NOT get those cheap Sony Speakers at Walmart, I wouldnt even buy those to put in my room for a stereo system.

once again wrong..i dont know who told you that, but that dude is a tool...the only thing i agree wtih you here is that infinity is good ****...which it most definitallly is....ive boaught plenty of stuff from walmart when i was on a budget...like door speakers...they work fine...sound fine...no difference...just over stocked discontinued models that are out dated.....hell ive even put the ****ty sony subs through the torture test..and yes i did blow them up, but i could have blown up kickers and jl's just as easy with the jl 1000/1 amp i run

elmer91
07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
i would go to crutchfield, or somewhere else, but i have $40 in gift cards to walmart, so i am looking there first. The Jensens that were in there were aftermarket, i dont know why the guy before me took out the infinity gold stuff.

im just looking for something on the cheaper side, and will sound good with my factory stuff. and for $40, it is either the sony's or pioneers, and from the reviews i read, the pioneers werent all that great.

To FlewByU, im not looking to be heard a mile away, i just want something that will sound good, and wont blow when i crank it up to a good song. i dont play my music to loud unless i am at a party playing music or hear a great song.

muddy400EX
07-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by ben300
dont listen to this guy...unless your buyign a head unit or an amp...you'll be fine buying speakers like those from walmart for alot of reason...the speakers there are jsut discontinued or out of date models adn your stock amp in that jeep will not blow those speakers up....the only way you could get those speakers to blow up is with subl linear failure from running the speakers at to low of an impeadence for to long at low volume levels..

your older speakers more than likeyly blew up for two reasons...one they were way under powered, even for the ****ty *** factory amplifier that the jeep came with, plus i dont know how old your jeep is but more than likely the stock speakers were made of a cheap *** paper material with cone tweeters and they jsut wore out, typical with stock speakers...so if you were tu buy..teh so caled ****ty speakers from walmart...you'll be ok....ohh ya and stock sucks...crutch field over charges,

haha, ya i have no clue what im talking about man. ive only had stereos in every one my vehicles ive ever had, i never went with cheap stuff, and never had problems, and always had amazing sound. i assure you i know more about stereos than you, i could tell you underground company's that are better than anything mainstream.

anyway, like flewbyu said, walmart really does have tuned down speakers, thats why there cheaper. u would be fine getting them and they will sound good, but you asked for opinions, so i gave mine;)

ben300
07-15-2009, 04:46 AM
haha, ya i have no clue what im talking about man. ive only had stereos in every one my vehicles ive ever had, i never went with cheap stuff, and never had problems, and always had amazing sound. i assure you i know more about stereos than you, i could tell you underground company's that are better than anything mainstream.

anyway, like flewbyu said, walmart really does have tuned down speakers, thats why there cheaper. u would be fine getting them and they will sound good, but you asked for opinions, so i gave mine;)

and i some how find that jsut becuase you've had stereo's in all over vehicles makes you somehow more car audio savy than he rest of the world, or anybody in that world for that matter....nor to the fact that ive had full jl audio/pioneer setups in all 4 of the vehicles that i have owned adn driven in my life time...nor the fact that i have actual experience workin at an installation shop

i would argue that i know more about your g/f than you do ....but thats a mute point...

fact of the matter is..everything that walmart has is sscratch and dent and either discontinued or out dated ****...id bet one of your vehicles on it chief....

and im pretty sure ive heard of all of your so called uderground companies as well champ

8my_Cash
07-15-2009, 08:49 AM
I personally avoid Sony Car Audio.....there is a reason the brand is called Xplod, lol.

Crutchfield is reliable but sometimes pricey. If you can, I would go with some Pioneers...perferrably Pioneer Premier. You can pick most pioneer brands at best buy for a reasonable price.

F-16Guy
07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Check out Amazon.com. There are some really good deals and a lot of stuff that qualifies for free shipping. If you know what to look for, you can score some great deals. I just got a Phoenix Gold RSD12 12" sub for $49, a 400 watt Pioneer class D amp for $130, a really nice Kicker amp wiring kit for $25, and a Pioneer deck for $109. I also got a great deal on some Pioneer door speakers.

elmer91
07-15-2009, 10:17 AM
i was looking into a set of pioneer, once again at walmart because i would like to use my gift card, and they are Pioneer TS-G1642R (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8224430). I looked at reviews of them on other sites, and they said they were all right, and that it didnt have much bass.

and you all keep mentioning crutchfield, i know that is a great site, but i would much rather buy from walmart so i can use my gift cards. i dont have a whole lot of cash at the time, so i can just use the gift cards at walmart. if i decide to not go to walmart, i will go to crutchfield or somewhere else.

thanks for the help everyone.

F-16Guy
07-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Those are the speakers I put in the doors of my car. They sound good to me. You're not going to get a ton of bass out of any speaker that small. If you want bass, add a subwoofer.

460 TyLeR
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
check out sonicelectronics they are way cheaper then crutchfield and top of the line stuff

BEAVER.989
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't trust snicelectronics. I like woofersetc.com.

07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
For your headunit and mid's & high's I go Pioneer all the way. If you're wanting the best subs you can buy go FI car audio. I have always had Pioneer and they make an A+ product. I crank my tunes everyday and have yet to blow one. ;)

muddy400EX
07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
[B.
fact of the matter is..everything that walmart has is sscratch and dent and either discontinued or out dated ****...id bet one of your vehicles on it chief.... [/B]

um, thats exactly what we are trying to say:rolleyes: you say we dont know what were talking about...and then agree with us:ermm:

and i didnt say im the smartest ****ing guy in the world when it comes to audio, dumbass

ben300
07-15-2009, 02:50 PM
um, thats exactly what we are trying to say:rolleyes: you say we dont know what were talking about...and then agree with us:ermm:

and i didnt say im the smartest ****ing guy in the world when it comes to audio, dumbass

well i was disagreeing to the guy that said they build hte walmart sold speakers differently than for say crutchfiled or best buy or a dealer...which is simply not true....and if you think im a dumb ***, you'd of brushed up on your reading skills if you were so smart, and read my first post...

anohter good place is onlinecarstereo.com...they're reputable, tons of ppl buy stuff from them, and basically everything there has buyer reviews and they have excellent shipping prices with most ever product in stock

07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Calm yourselves people.

Elmer, does your grand cherokee have the Infinity sound system? Our 01 grand cherokee has Infinity, and I never heard of Jensen coming factory in a GC. The stock system actually sounds pretty damn good.

If yours does have jensen though, I recomend going to a local "U-Pull-It" junkyard and looking for a 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They have the infinity system, and the rear speakers sound incredible for a stock system. They're super clear and last a long time.

On the other hand, my friends car sounds amazing, and surprisingly he's running xplod's. He has an Alpine head unit, with front and rear sony xplods and two 10" kenwood subs with a kenwood amp. The front speakers even have the tweeters broken off. But I must say... it's AMAZINGLY clear. It's actually so clear it hurts your ears. Along with the subs it's an incredible sound system.

It surprised me for sure.

How long they last I don't know, but all I know is right now, they're excellent.

And by the way, I LOVE KENWOOD.

elmer91
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
it has infinity in it, but a previous owner took out the infinity speakers for some reason, and replaced them with the jensens. the amp and the stereo are still the stock infinity gold. i never thought about going to a junk yard and pulling the stock stuff. i may do that, because i need to get a few things from there anyway.

You said a 99-05( the WJ) GC, do you know if there is a noticeable difference from that to the ZJ(93-98)? and since you mentioned the WJ years, i am guessing you have a WJ. do you know if the speaker size is 6.5"?

ben300
07-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Calm yourselves people.

Elmer, does your grand cherokee have the Infinity sound system? Our 01 grand cherokee has Infinity, and I never heard of Jensen coming factory in a GC. The stock system actually sounds pretty damn good.

If yours does have jensen though, I recomend going to a local "U-Pull-It" junkyard and looking for a 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They have the infinity system, and the rear speakers sound incredible for a stock system. They're super clear and last a long time.

On the other hand, my friends car sounds amazing, and surprisingly he's running xplod's. He has an Alpine head unit, with front and rear sony xplods and two 10" kenwood subs with a kenwood amp. The front speakers even have the tweeters broken off. But I must say... it's AMAZINGLY clear. It's actually so clear it hurts your ears. Along with the subs it's an incredible sound system.

It surprised me for sure.

How long they last I don't know, but all I know is right now, they're excellent.

And by the way, I LOVE KENWOOD.

agreed on infinity....my mom back when i was younger had an 00 caravan with teh "dodge" infinity system....for being low end infinity stuff..it did sound pretty darn good....

better than the "dodge" boston acustic speakers she hasin her 08 caliber....

...also agreed on kenwood, the excelon stuff is pretty darn nice....basically anything after market is far off better than stock..remember, in the car audio world...audiophiles have the saying "stock sucks"....basically anythign you buy from reputable aftermarket company is gonna be better than stock

ben300
07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
it has infinity in it, but a previous owner took out the infinity speakers for some reason, and replaced them with the jensens. the amp and the stereo are still the stock infinity gold. i never thought about going to a junk yard and pulling the stock stuff. i may do that, because i need to get a few things from there anyway.

You said a 99-05( the WJ) GC, do you know if there is a noticeable difference from that to the ZJ(93-98)? and since you mentioned the WJ years, i am guessing you have a WJ. do you know if the speaker size is 6.5"?

most chrysler vehicles run 6.5's due to the fact that they can put the same speakers in a whole bunch of different vehicles

07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by elmer91

Yeah, we have the WJ. Are you asking about just difference in stereo's? Or the whole truck in general? I can answer either.

And yes, i'm 99% positive the rear speakers are 6.5in.

They sound excellent, and at most junkyards you can get a pair of speakers, even aftermarkets, for as low as $5 a speaker. It depends on where you go. And the stock Infinity speakers are well worth it.

07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
agreed on infinity....my mom back when i was younger had an 00 caravan with teh "dodge" infinity system....for being low end infinity stuff..it did sound pretty darn good....

better than the "dodge" boston acustic speakers she hasin her 08 caliber....

...also agreed on kenwood, the excelon stuff is pretty darn nice....basically anything after market is far off better than stock..remember, in the car audio world...audiophiles have the saying "stock sucks"....basically anythign you buy from reputable aftermarket company is gonna be better than stock

Yeah. The infinity tweeters go bad all the time on the grand cherokee's, but other then that I gotta say i'm damn impressed for a stock system. The front doors have bass speakers hooked to the amp, and the rear 6.5 infinities sound super clear and together makes for a great audio. The bass feels good too since it's right next to you in the door.