PDA

View Full Version : Doing my 1st graphics myself (help)

MtnEX
07-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I have Monster Graphics and number plate graphics to lay on my KFX 450R.

I've always had them done. So this will be the first set I've tried laying on myself.

I need some good tips... like what to do to get the plastics ready?... Wash good, finish with alcohol?

What about application? In the sun? In the shade? Out where it is hot? In where it's cool?

07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
you pretty much have it...a pin and a credit card work for getting out air bubbles that you will get...some will even pop up over night...go slow...i even use a squigee while rolling them on to help with lessening the air bubbles...i prefer inside in the shade with a bright light

MtnEX
07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I have one of those 3M thingys to take the place of the credit card.

What do you think about application fluid or soapy water?

I have application fluid, but it smells like it has nail polish remover in it. May be that non-acetone stuff (both smell the same to me) but I'm sort of nervous about it...

MtnEX
07-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Got'er done... Thanks guys.

That sum***** is purdy now!!!!

It's turning out to have the unique look I was going for too.

I still have the small details yet to do, but it's to the point it's already so nice I don't want to take it out and ride it like I do the others.... LOL...

jordan 23
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
post some pics

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by jordan 23
post some pics

I will when I find the USB drive I put them on... LOL...

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Now... I think this was a hard job, but the look was worth it...

I sole gripe NOW is that well after the installation, I'm literally "developing" bubbles under the graphics.

I worked I don't know how many out right after installation. Every time I put the seat back on I got some... until finally there were none left to work out.

But now they seem to be "developing" like I said. And I don't quite understand.

If I move it, it seems I get some. I've parked it inside, and out in the sun too. So I don't know.

I moved it today twice and found bubbles after both times.

I've stuck a pin in a lot of them because I could no longer work them out. Some seem to just be air. Some let out moisture.

What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do?

Wait way longer to ride?
How long?

Park indoors?
Park in sun?

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Here are the few pictures I have from the day after...

I'm not done with the "details" yet...

Have not decided what else I am doing and what else goes where...

Side view...

(I guess you all can see how my 'mini projects' tie in now)

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
This is the front view with my custom Attack Graphics background number plates.

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 10:04 PM
And here is one of the back fenders...
Sorry it's a little "washed out" from the sun.

(how do you get these seat covers clean anyway?)

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 10:06 PM
And here's looking at it from the other way.

MtnEX
07-18-2009, 10:10 PM
And here is one down low at an angle of the front, just for those who care to check out a little closer what I have done with my stock headlight assembly for a unique look.

I plan to replace these with larger 55 watt assemblies... But don't know if the system can push them or how to find out.

07-19-2009, 03:57 PM
even though i don't like monster anything...it looks good...

as far as the bubbles go, they will keep popping up and you just keep putting the pin into them until they eventually don't appear...ride away, it won't hurt anything

MtnEX
07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
even though i don't like monster anything...it looks good...

as far as the bubbles go, they will keep popping up and you just keep putting the pin into them until they eventually don't appear...ride away, it won't hurt anything

Thanks...

I was trying to go custom to get coverage on the plastics, and to add some green. But I got frustrated in the process of trying to get that done...

I wanted green highlights I guess you could say, and some white... not try to make it like the green and black version... if you get what I am driving at.

I spent some time playing with pics in the Gimp image editor and came up with a better look myself, using this Monster Kit as a base to get green.

I don't drink Monster, but think their green M logo looks sick on a black background.

I still have a lot of little detail left to do though.

motomxman450
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
have you tried using a heat gun?

MtnEX
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by motomxman450
have you tried using a heat gun?

No... I don't have one... closest thing is a big hair drier... lol...

I didn't have much luck REMOVING the stock graphics with it, so I didn't try it while applying.

I have left it sitting in the sun a lot since applying.

I don't know... I'm starting to think it's just I did them at night when it was cool and they looked perfect... but they were not full-bond dry before the temp changed... and I think a little air or oxygen from the water... and maybe some water is trapped under there and just can't gas out.... then every time the plastic moves a little, it rushes together and forms a bubble.

The graphics are stuck too good in most areas to work any bubbles out to the edges (unless they are close and real hot) so I am having to pop them.

alberto
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I think they look good. I am not to sure bout the bubbles? Earlier you said that you always had them doen but this was the first time that you did them yourself. Did you have bubbles before, when you had them professionally done?

I just bought a very sick kit and want to install them myself but I dont want to mess with the bubbles. I have installed a bunch of window tint before and was goin to apply the same rules. BUBBLES ARE BAD. No disrespect I just dont want to mess mine up.

MtnEX
07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by alberto
I think they look good. I am not to sure bout the bubbles? Earlier you said that you always had them doen but this was the first time that you did them yourself. Did you have bubbles before, when you had them professionally done?

I just bought a very sick kit and want to install them myself but I dont want to mess with the bubbles. I have installed a bunch of window tint before and was goin to apply the same rules. BUBBLES ARE BAD. No disrespect I just dont want to mess mine up.

Thanks... I really like them too... with my accents.
(more to come)

Never had bubbles before but I am sure more professional methods were used to apply them?

I have on the other hand applied window tint, and that was VERY much easier to me. Maybe because it is thinner and transparent, where you can see your work.

The graphics on the other hand are THICK and you can't see what you are doing underneath... And there are so many contours on a quad body to form them to, etc... maybe a heat gun or sun warmed graphics makes it easier?

What kills me is they were perfect when I was done applying them. Slap slick all over.

alberto
07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Copy that. Did you sand your plastics slightly to give the graphics something to hold on to? What did you use as the bonding agent? I have heard of guys just using warm water and dishsoap.

I have an 05 450R black plastics and will be installing white and grey graphics kit from DIRT FIEND RACING with a cool tribal pattern. I've been shopping for kits for over a year and really like these, never seen anyone else with them. So I dont want to mess them up if you know what I mean.

MtnEX
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
No, I did not sand my plastics... I just cleaned them really well. I'd say they probably stick better to a clean slick surface, unlike paint... since adhesive is involved.

The graphics have all the bonding agent you can stand on the back of them. That's the whole purpose of some sort of application fluid.... If you do them like me, you must have something to 'float' them on in order to get them lined up perfectly and also formed to the contours of the plastics. Without it, they would just stick hard pretty much on contact and have almost no workability.

I had an Attack Graphics application kit, which included a small bottle of application fluid. I also made up a quart spray bottle of water and just a few drops of plain Dawn dish washing liquid.

If I had it to do over, I would have used DISTILLED water, and I would have just tried it plain first.

I did not see a lot of difference in end result between the application fluid and the water + 4 drops of Dawn... other than the application fluid was slicker.... I used it to do my rear number plate for practice... and also the most difficult part of the job... the number plate graphics on my hood.

atv fan 28
08-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by alberto
Copy that. Did you sand your plastics slightly to give the graphics something to hold on to? What did you use as the bonding agent? I have heard of guys just using warm water and dishsoap.

I have an 05 450R black plastics and will be installing white and grey graphics kit from DIRT FIEND RACING with a cool tribal pattern. I've been shopping for kits for over a year and really like these, never seen anyone else with them. So I dont want to mess them up if you know what I mean. . heres my DFR graphics. thats why i got mine, nobody has them around here!

MtnEX
08-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Those are sweet...

Website????

My graphics finally settled out... they just took a real long time to dry I think... the humidity may have been a big deal?

I rode it and got everything real hot from the engine heat, went over it once and it stuck.