PDA

View Full Version : Whats Evryone Setting Their Ride Height For Xc?

ppeengines
07-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Just as it says whats everyone setting the front and back ride height for xc riding on your 450r. thanks

Scro
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I run mine fairly low - 7.5" front, 7" rear.

fastredrider44
07-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm just curious, but how are you adjusting your ride height? Are you putting preload on the springs? I don't remember what mine measured out to be, but I do know that my front end is a half inch taller up front.

MOTO-XPERTS
07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
depends all on rider ....

our race bike's are between 7 1/4 - 7 1/2 in the front and 7 - 7 1/4 in the rear

what we have found works best is the 1/4" difference from front to rear ....

hope this gets you in the right direction ....

ppeengines
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey thanks scro and moto-experts for the answers. It helped me out greatly. Scro you must wait for me to post something cuz you are always there helping me out or or showing me what you did to yours. I appreciate it.
I can rebuild a engine from bottom to top blind folded but when it comes to suspension it always give me a heck of a time and by the time i am done I have a headache. Thats why i ask someone who specializes in it.

Scro
07-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I'm just curious, but how are you adjusting your ride height? Are you putting preload on the springs? I don't remember what mine measured out to be, but I do know that my front end is a half inch taller up front.

Yep, some shocks have nut-type adjusters like the stockers and elkas. The others have the clip-type like Axis and PEP. Move them up for lower ride height, down for higher ride height.

Originally posted by ppeengines
Hey thanks scro and moto-experts for the answers. It helped me out greatly. Scro you must wait for me to post something cuz you are always there helping me out or or showing me what you did to yours. I appreciate it.
I can rebuild a engine from bottom to top blind folded but when it comes to suspension it always give me a heck of a time and by the time i am done I have a headache. Thats why i ask someone who specializes in it.

I'm on here alot:p

fastredrider44
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Yep, some shocks have nut-type adjusters like the stockers and elkas. The others have the clip-type like Axis and PEP. Move them up for lower ride height, down for higher ride height.

My shock man tells me I don't want any more spring tension than I have to have though. So I get the springs snug, then give it another turn for a little tension.

Scro
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
What kind of shocks do you have? If they are set up for your weight correctly, and you have the correct spring, you shouldn't need to adjust a whole lot.

ppeengines
07-14-2009, 05:58 PM
What kind of shocks do you have? If they are set up for your weight correctly, and you have the correct spring, you shouldn't need to adjust a whole lot.

I have the factory KTM White Power long travel shocks the new KTM Sx's. I just had WP do my shocks revalved and put new springs on them for my weight. They have the adjustable cross overs on them and I have a complete manual on them on how to adjust and set them up. And probably by friday I will be switching to a PEP comp and rebound rear shock with a gt thunder xc link. But for right now I have a stock shock with a with a new gt thunder spring for my weight.

the predator
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
i have 4 7/16" of race sag which puts me about 63/4" in the rear and 7 1/4" front with 3/16" gap from retainer to first cross over

fastredrider44
07-15-2009, 08:13 AM

At the moment I'm on GT rebuild, revalves, set for my weight. But HOPEFULLY by the start of the winter series, I'll be on LT.:chinese:

Scro
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I know why he said that, but it's not gonna hurt anything to put 1/2 - 1" of preload in it (if that's what you need to do to get the desired ride height). The reason he said that is because the more preload you put in the shock, the more the spring will be compressed when the shock is at the bottom of its stroke. And as you probably know, the more you compress a spring, the harder and harder it gets to compress it farther. Essentially, it may make the shock too stiff at the bottom of it's stroke.