PDA

View Full Version : hinson 8 plate clutch

bansheeboyo
07-14-2009, 08:38 AM
yesterday my gaskets went in crank case ,
so i set abot dismantaling engine and noticed my stock clutch ha a little play as in the basket moves back and forth a few mm
i thought o whell must be buggered .
replaced all gasgets and seals gave all bearings a check all fine
put back together and shoved on a hinson basket and 8 plate clutch has the same wobble
what gives ?
i bought the hinson of this site guy said all was well .and it is plenty of fibre left on pads
when putting it together there was to washers left both about 1 mil thick , 31 outside inside about 18 ,other one is 25 by 12mm
cheers for the help guys

Honda 250r 001
07-14-2009, 08:48 AM
thats one of the main flaws to a 250r motor. Thats just a ****ty design. the slack is actually between the splines of the basket and the gear/spacer deal it runs on. I just welded the basket and the gear together (which is the way honda should have designed it) and wala, no more wobble.

bansheeboyo
07-14-2009, 08:51 AM
you think it would be okay to run for just now untill i get it welded
or catistrofic damage occur

Honda 250r 001
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
i dont think anything will happen. I run mine without being welded, its a little tricky to weld around a billet aluminum basket, so i just left my new one unlwelded, but i welded a stocker before. IF you have it welded, be sure you have plenty of water around to cool that basket off instatly after you weld it. I just ran a 3 second beed in 3 spots and it held fine.

bansheeboyo
07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
cheers for the help
got it fixed zero woble
plum that i am forgot to put in the bearings duhhhh

leager-n-ky
07-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Bansheeboy, Do you know you have to have the Hinson quick change side cover to run the 8 plate setup?

bansheeboyo
07-15-2009, 05:45 AM
yeah ive got a blue one bought it from same boy
will make it red at some point

kess
07-18-2009, 10:48 AM
When you find a way to change the color from blue to red let me know. I have the same one that I want red instead. Took it off drag bike (swapped it for a lock out) and put it on the red 310.

leager-n-ky
07-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Hinson will sell you a red one, or look for Greggs Motorsports in Florida, he can take the anodizing off, then polish it like a mirror.

bansheeboyo
07-19-2009, 12:47 PM
where did you get a lock out clutch from ???
i need one for my 410
can you get the ace see through ones like the shees

Motofool250r
07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
planetsand.com has a few vendors that sell lockouts, gigot and couple others for 250r's

hondamancbr03
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
www.directdrivecnc.net
http://www.directdrivecnc.net/hondalocko.html

From what i've been told this is the place to get a lock out...They offer an extended kick starter shaft instead of trying to mod the factory one. Wouldn't mind having one myself but it's a little on the $$$$ just for a play bike.

kess
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
The lockout is a little spendy. Do yourself a favor and split the cases and upgrade your gears (at least 1st, 2dn, and 3rd). I got two rides out of mine before I sent 2nd gear through the side case. And on day 2 of a 7 day trip............SUCKED.

BY THE WAY ANYONE HAVE A SIDE CASE THEY WANT TO GET RID OF????????

Motofool250r
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
the gigot lockouts are 265$ each from gigot and fit under the stock cover. pete modifys them for the 89 clutch update if you order through him

312R1
07-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by kess
When you find a way to change the color from blue to red let me know. I have the same one that I want red instead. Took it off drag bike (swapped it for a lock out) and put it on the red 310.

Powder coat it..thats what I did. Do a search on my screen name to find some pic's of my R.

-Steve

kfx400rob
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
sorry to dig up an old thread but i noticed a few people mentioned welding the gear to the basket to eliminate the slop in the splines. problem is, the basket is aluminum and the gear is steel, so this is technically impossible to weld together. are you talking about brazing them together with a torch? i have the same problem with my bike and would love to find a fix without having to buy a new basket.

All250R
12-11-2009, 05:09 PM
What problem does it cause leaving it the way it's designed?

cdrookie
12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by All250R
What problem does it cause leaving it the way it's designed?

exactly what i want to know. i've never heard of anyone stripping the splines on the clutch basket.

and aluminum can be welded to steel, but can't be brazed. don't believe me? look at the old style crager ss wheels... cast aluminum center section with a steel outer ring welded together. don't know how they do it but it's not jb weld.

kfx400rob
12-12-2009, 06:37 AM
from what i have read welding aluminum to steel is not possible with a mig or tig welder. but there are some expensive techniques that will get it done, but nothing an average guy can handle and not something the welding shop at my local industrial park will do either. brazing them is probably possible because its not really a strength weld, it wont actually melt the metals.