PDA

View Full Version : Pics of frame grinding....

ScottB125
07-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I got my rear Pep shock in and they have some decent pics of where to grind.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/BadMoFo_2006/Can%20Am%20DS450/

Seed
07-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Holy CRAP!!!! It takes alot of grinding for it to fit. I sure hope it doesnt fail because thats a high load crossmember that distributes the load to both sides of the bike EEEEK!!!

TNT
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah it’s a primary structural member. I’d take and blend that out a little better. Don’t leave any sharp corners or uneven surfaces try and get a professional smooth machined finish equal to the rest of the part as much as possible. Try and make the grind symetrical around the center of the part if you know what I mean too. As Seed said think of load being transferred if it gets caught up a stress concentration area can occur and propagate a crack. It’s probably a weak 5000 series aluminum casting from what I can tell I don’t have a quad here to see…You might want to put a couple coats of etching or corrosion primer on it too to keep it from corroding. It looks like it’s down to bare metal where you grinded. When a part corrodes we can get what we call surface exfoliation that can cause a crack too.

They really need a redesign in this area for stock and aftermarket shock clearance.

Now you guy’s can see what I mean it’s probably not going to bust your shaft but will mess up the shock body.

ScottB125
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
That's not my handy-work. I took pics of how PEP showed. My grinding skills are somewhat better:)

RobRacing
07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
You have to grind on the frame to get the shock to fit? Thats kinda scary