PDA

View Full Version : Gearing Disapointment

929rog
07-14-2009, 07:21 AM
I'll give you guys an update on how I made out trying to get some speed out of my stock LT. I went out on my dirt road last night and made 6 top end passes with the gps in my pocket. With it totally stock it ran 26-26.7mph everytime. I then took the bolt out of the pipe and it ran the same mph as with it in. It did feel like it MAYBE had a little more pull but hard to measure that without another quad to race. Feels like it runs out of gear, or runs as fast as it will go in probably 200 feet. I then changed the gearing to the midwest mini speed kit. The bike felt like it did not lose any low or mid power and ran 27.1mph first pass. Grrrrrrr. I made more passes and eventually got it to run 28mph. The bike pulled as hard as before and gained just over 1mph... Not exactly what I was looking for as they claim 5mph. I've played with snowmobile clutches forever and know that if the belt is worn it will not achieve the same final ratio. So I will probably gain a couple when I get the new belt as this one show quite a bit of wear. BUT, this is an apples to apples comparison. It really feels like it could pull more gear than the 13 front that comes with the kit, anyone try bigger? Before I go down that road I'm going to put on a new belt and make sure the clutches are shifting all the way out. I've had to do some machine work on sleds for the clutches to shift all the way out, might have to do the same here. I'll write more when I find more out.

LT80
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
IMO, the more a LT80 belt is wore, the better it runs.
The Stock Lt can run a 14 or 15 front to gain speed. Roller weight and clutch shoe weight may have to be adjusted.
Gearing can only get you so much...:(

Another happy midwest customer...:devil:

929rog
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmmm... total opposite on a snowmobile. Starts in too high a "gear" with a worn belt and finishes without enough "gear" I'll get it apart hopefully tonight.

LT80
07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
The snowmobile has a big motor and don't require the lil extra travel to get on the pipe. :)

Shave the head .030
Remove 2 front clutch rollers.
Cut the rear clutch shoes to 180 grams each.
Run a 13/14/15 front sprocket (428 size)..25/26 rear.

IMO, that's about the best it can get in semi stock form.

929rog
07-14-2009, 07:53 PM
I bought a new weight assembly off e bay and already have it 280 grams. Man had to take off alot of weight.. I mean a ton as you know. I have a guy next door that can do the head and I'll do the clutches. I gave you a call and left a message.. Just do my cylinder and we can fix this easy.. Roger

929rog
07-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Forgot to say... I did not have the lighter weights in it last night so I have not tried it. All Star game so no work tonight.

LT80
07-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Sorry, I know I missed a call or 2. This is my busiest time of the year.
Please try again.

929rog
07-18-2009, 07:44 AM
tried the lighter weight 2 rollers... well it is ok... It does keep in in a lower ratio for a little longer. I really don't think it excelorates much faster. I did really look at the clutches and need a new belt. I am only using 3/4 of each clutch so I'm not getting close to full shift. I'll try that and see. SHould be able to get the belt near the top of the front pully. If a new belt will not work I can fix that:)