PDA

View Full Version : YOUR 'Top Ten' tips & tricks?

Saul76
07-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Been searching and haven't found a thread like this yet (sorry if there is one)

There seems to be SO many upgrades that can and are being made to these TRX quads - but - bang for buck, what would YOU say are the 'top ten' upgrades, be it engine mods or suspension or cosmetics somebody should make first?

Having dealt with the 250R engine platform for awhile now (aircooled though not water cooled) I know a few basic thins wake these lil motors up real quick -

Engine
1. Bigger carb
2. Free flowing air filter
3. Upgrade reeds and cage
4. Pipe
5. Mild porting

Suspension
1. longer or shorter swingarm depending on riding style
2. better shocks
3. A - ARMS
4. Modern wheels and tires
5. Extended axle (again, depends on riding style and situation)

Cosmetics
1. Aftermarket plastics
2. Powercoating of items
3. Nerf bars
4. Aftermarket bumper and grab bar
5. Oversize gastank (I guess this counts as cosmetic and 'other' since it allows you to ride longer)

These are just general things - I'd love to see you guys add to this with more specifics and why you feel so - maybe this thread could be a great place for the 'new guy' to look at and see where to start modifying their TRX.

Peace.

RobRacing
07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
1. Steel braided brake lines
2. pipe/silencer
3. better tires
4. air filter
5. proper tuning
6. remove air box lid
7. better shocks (even works are better)
8. new handlebars
9. remove all lights
10. teather cord

Honda 250r 001
07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
1. Shocks
2. A arms
3. Axle
4. Porting
5. Pipe
6. Carb
7. Handle Bars
8. Nerf Bars
9. Cut Fenders
10. Tires

IGOTSAND
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
wider a-arms, shocks, steering stem, roll design foot pegs, axle, port job, clean air filter, steering stabolizer, pipe, shiney new billet parts :cool:

leager-n-ky
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I have always taken the stock swingarm bolt, drilled and tapped both ends the end with threads I will put in a socket head screw, and the other end a grease zerk, then in three different spots ( one close to the end, one in the middle, and one at the other end) around the bolt drill small holes, but not in a straight line.

I also drill a small hole through the head of all my drain plugs, so I can run safty wire through and tie it off, so that the drain plug would never come completley out.

When breaking the clutch basket nut loose, you can put a penny between the gears to keep it from turning, and the penny is soft enough not to damage the gears.

fulltiltrider
07-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
I have always taken the stock swingarm bolt, drilled and tapped both ends the end with threads I will put in a socket head screw, and the other end a grease zerk, then in three different spots ( one close to the end, one in the middle, and one at the other end) around the bolt drill small holes, but not in a straight line.

Good info ky. Since we are talking bang-for-your-buck mods, I cut my airbox completely around the airfilter ring so all is left is the ring itself and the intake tube and run a uni filter. Keep the rest of the airbox, cut out that front section completely and zip tie it to the frame using it as a cover from the bottom on wet days. I ported my factory reed cage, I like the ported cage with 2 stage boyesen reeds better than a rad valve, almost as much bottom end response and revs better. I also ported my carb boot to match up with my 39mm carb, alot of guys just heat it up and force it on which still leaves a ridge just past the mouth of the carb that hurts flow. I take alot of rubber out of the boot, just have to keep an eye out for cracks and such since its a good bit thinner than stock the whole way through.

norcalduner
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Here's my top 5 must have's .....

1. esr in-line water temp gauge
2. afco oversize radiator
3. yukon trans gears
4. 400ex spindles
5. 89 clutch update kit

thedeatons
07-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I like and have done all your mods NorCalDuner, except for the Yukon gears.... And I have T-Pins... :)

James

fulltiltrider
07-15-2009, 05:10 AM
.......ohh yeah, and one more thing, Neils clutch mod.

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Link to Neil's mod? Or a good writeup?

James

Saul76
07-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Link to Neil's mod? Or a good writeup?

James

From what I can gather you replace one of your 250R fiber discs with one 400ex fiber ... placed in the middle. Then run CR500 springs.

Supposably any cheap set of fibers then feel just as strong as really expensive ones with no clutch slippage.

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Ahh.... Okay. The jury is still out on clutch springs. All250R's website did some testing and their wasn't much difference....

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
When I hit up the dealer for the 400EX clutch fiber, which year should I go for?

I already have the CR500 springs and TRX250R drain plug washer on standby for when my clutch slips. Will be nice to have the 400EX fiber disc waiting too!

James

86 Quad R
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
using the new trx250r springs with neals mod will work too.

btw james. you gonna wait till your clutch slips before doing the mod? :huh

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah, pretty much. The previous owner installed a new clutch right before I bought it, and a Barnett basket. The clutch feels great now, and I only have about 43-54hp.... Should be okay I would think?

I did the 89 mod with the ball bearing though!

Saul76
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Some of these mods you list guys - would it be possible for you to further 'explain' the modification, how it's done and why?

Like the 89 clutch upgrade for example ... more details would make it easier to understand and then go out to get parts and do the mod for new people to the site and the TRX such as myself.

Swiper77
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
Some of these mods you list guys - would it be possible for you to further 'explain' the modification, how it's done and why?

Like the 89 clutch upgrade for example ... more details would make it easier to understand and then go out to get parts and do the mod for new people to the site and the TRX such as myself.

I believe most of these are covered by this thread "notice it was stickey'd:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=373113

ballzdeep38
07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
i did the 89 clutch mod. if you go to a dealer for a new clutch assembly the only option you have is to upgrade to the 89. thats how i wound up with it. it is basically just piece at the end of the rod that was different if i remember right. the 89 has bearings where my 87 didnt. im using new 250r springs and fibers. feels great.
:D

my order so far has been:

1: pipe
2: filter
3: front shocks
4: 89 clutch
5: plastics

norcalduner
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
To complete my top 10 list, here is my final 5 MUST have's .....

6. billet counter balancer bearing holder
7. billet clutch basket
8. billet axle bearing carrier
9. case saver
10. 01 cr250 ignition

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Just curious, why are the billets "must haves"?

James

norcalduner
07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Just curious, why are the billets "must haves"?

James

'Tis the aftermarket alternative replacement to the OEM cast stuff that I have personally had experience of failure :(

thedeatons
07-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Ahh.... Okay. I am using the Barnett clutch basket, which has the replaceable tabs. I thought that was a nice trick. Billet typically wears quickly on a clutch basket, becoming grooved. :)

James

86 Quad R
07-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by TL250R
Say for instance... You had a basically stock bike and could only do 1 mod (besides exhaust) what would you do? To improve the overall fun & rideability of the bike. Nothing crazy expensive.

suspension!!

thedeatons
07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Suspension!

Set for your weight and riding style.